Status
Not open for further replies.

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Round N Round the Mulberry Bush
I know this is a totally pedestrian question...but I need some verification.
In a nutshell as we know, AW IMRs are not being manufactured at this time because of some flooding over yonder.
My Batts that I have had for a while now are dying so I bought some new ones (the only ones that I could find this minute with a Button Top) they are EFEST 18650 IMR 1600mAh, 3.7v.
I have never used any Batt that was less than 2000mAh and I always charged the Batts I had with a xtar VP1 at 1.0A.
The question is can I still charge these 1600mAhs at 1.0A as well or should I use a lower charge (my VP1 does 0.25A, 0.50A and 1.0A).
I know that there is some type of a formula for figuring this but I'll be danged if I can remember, its been like 5 years since I even thought about this, lol.
Any insight would be most graciously appreciated
Btw, I'm using a Provari 2.5 which is the reason that I need the Button Tops.

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It's probably OK. Try it and monitor the battery's temperature. If they get more than barely noticeably warm, I'd back off to 0.5A.

FWIW, I'm a huge fan of the VP1. After 4-1/2 years, it's still my most used charger. I started out with 2500 mAh batteries and most of the ones I use now are 3000 mAh, but I still charge them at 0.5A unless I'm in a big hurry, which doesn't happen often. It's just easier on the cells and I get really good life out out them.

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
It's probably OK. Try it and monitor the battery's temperature. If they get more than barely noticeably warm, I'd back off to 0.5A.

FWIW, I'm a huge fan of the VP1. After 4-1/2 years, it's still my most used charger. I started out with 2500 mAh batteries and most of the ones I use now are 3000 mAh, but I still charge them at 0.5A unless I'm in a big hurry, which doesn't happen often. It's just easier on the cells and I get really good life out out them.

I like the VP1 as well - I started out with a Nitecore Intellicharger (many Moons ago) but didn't like the heat it gave off.
I got a VP1 and have been hooked ever since:thumb:

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
From what I remember from what I read from Mooch is that it’s always safest & best for the battery to charge @ .50 amps.

You can always double check by looking up Battery Mooch & clicking on his avatar to see links to his battery testing results.

I will definitely check Mooch out - thanks for the Tip!:)
I'm surprised that my Batts lasted as long as they did :lol:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I agree that lower current levels yield better charge saturation with lower heat levels.

FWIW, I charge all my cells at 1A. During charge I can sense minimal warmth with a finger touch on the cell during the initial stages of charging , but if I take it out and put it next to my cheek it feels cool, so less than 100F. You guys have made me think about heat. I'll have to get out the digital temp gun and see what the actual heat level is.

I've done that for years and I have cells that have been in rotation for long service times that still give me similar run times at 10W as the newer ones. All are under 50mr except for one AW 18650 that read around 300mr. I recycled that one. It was purchased in 2011 for my Provari and hadn't been used in years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread