Charging and real battery life in mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrahmNoMore

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Hey everybody. Love this forum. I've got a question. I've got an MVP2, MVP3 and iStick 50. Long question short, do you think it's better for the life of these batteries (since I can't replace them) to run them all the way down, THEN charge them or just charge them every night until I wake up regardless of the life in them unless they are full? And, how long would any of you estimate these mods will last until they completely die? I mean using them every day. Chain vaping. 6 months? A year? I ask because I really thought about getting a sigelei and it's too late now, but I would like to now for future reference.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
You are better off to not run them all the way down all the time. Some times charge them when they are half drained. IMR have no memory but as they get old the battery stuff accepts less and less of a charge. You can replace those batteries if your handy just a little prying and soldering. You should get around 600 charging cycles from them try looking up what batteries they use in those mods and then hunt down the specks for those batteries and youll know every thing there is to know about your mods batteries.

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
I had A MVP2 for over a year, fell of tables, dropped in toilet once :facepalm: gave it to my Brother and he is still using it. granted it don't hold a charge as long as it use to, it is still doing the job. I gave up trying to run the battery down in a day so I would just though it on a charge at night for a couple of hours and it was good to go for the next day. I now have the Sigelei 100 and few sets of batterys for it.

sbc83

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
The MVP 2 has a non replaceable battery, not sure about the 3. The 50w has 2 18650's and can be opened and replaced with a little work with a soldering iron.

http://msnikita.com/2015/02/eleaf-istick-50w-disassembled/#more-1799

I just sold my Mvp 2 after a year and 2 months. It was my at home device and maybe saw off and on (3-5min sessions twice an hour) vaping for about 5-6 hours/day(I don't chain vape). It wasn't lasting near as long as it once did and figured I'd might as well sell it while it's still worth something. That money will go towards a 50w or xpro m80 once all the craze over them ends.

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
The MVP 2 has a non replaceable battery, not sure about the 3. The 50w has 2 18650's and can be opened and replaced with a little work with a soldering iron.

eLeaf iStick 50W disassembled | Ms. Nikita

I just sold my Mvp 2 after a year and 2 months. It was my at home device and maybe saw off and on (3-5min sessions twice an hour) vaping for about 5-6 hours/day(I don't chain vape). It wasn't lasting near as long as it once did and figured I'd might as well sell it while it's still worth something. That money will go towards a 50w or xpro m80 once all the craze over them ends.
The MVP uses battery a cell it comes apart easily enough and replace the battery Granted they dont want you to do that but its not very difficult ether if you have just a little do it your self know how.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey everybody. Love this forum. I've got a question. I've got an MVP2, MVP3 and iStick 50. Long question short, do you think it's better for the life of these batteries (since I can't replace them) to run them all the way down, THEN charge them or just charge them every night until I wake up regardless of the life in them unless they are full? And, how long would any of you estimate these mods will last until they completely die? I mean using them every day. Chain vaping. 6 months? A year? I ask because I really thought about getting a Sigelei and it's too late now, but I would like to now for future reference.

operating voltage is 3.3 to 4.2
in the middle is 3.7

it's ok to keep them charged

they're supposed to be good for about 300 recharges.

wesson

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I always have one or two back-up batts, usually charge the one in use nightly and pick up a fresh one in the AM. That way, I'm always cycleing through all of my batts. LiPo and LiIon batteries don't like to sit around for long periods of time in either a fully discharged (to min safe voltage), or a fully charged state; when stored for longer periods of time, it's best to store them at their nominal voltage of 3.7 volts (per cell, if multi cell).

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I rarely ever wait till any of my batteries are fully discharged before charging them, though sometimes I get taken by surprise with a "low vol" reading on one of my regulateds -- which still isn't fully discharged, but it's discharged enough that the mod can't reach my desired wattage.

iTaste makes good stuff. One of my vv3s is now over a year old, still works great. One other is about 10 months old, still works great, and another is about 6-7 months old, still works great.

Andria

sbc83

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
The MVP uses battery a cell it comes apart easily enough and replace the battery Granted they dont want you to do that but its not very difficult ether if you have just a little do it your self know how.

I couldn't find info on the exact battery and have not read of anyone ever changing one out. Had I found out that info and the price was reasonable I would've just replaced it.

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I couldn't find info on the exact battery and have not read of anyone ever changing one out. Had I found out that info and the price was reasonable I would've just replaced it.

just take the battery to your local RC shop thats the kind of batteries they use in their planes and cars. They are all good guys and are happy to share their knowledge and help a guy out.
It dont have to be the same one as long as its the same specs and fits. If you want to know about lipo battery's ask a RC guy, if you want to know about IMRs ask a flash light guy. Hell Pm me and send me the mod and Ill replace the bettery just for the fun of doing it.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
From what I have read, it's not good to regularly drain a lithium battery all the way down to nothing, as that will shorten the life of the battery. I've also read that lithium batteries begin to degrade as soon as they are manufactured so over time, even if you do everything possible to extend the life of the battery, it will hold its charge for less and less time.

wesson

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
Ontario, Canada
just take the battery to your local RC shop thats the kind of batteries they use in their planes and cars. They are all good guys and are happy to share their knowledge and help a guy out.
It dont have to be the same one as long as its the same specs and fits. If you want to know about lipo battery's ask a RC guy, if you want to know about IMRs ask a flash light guy. Hell Pm me and send me the mod and Ill replace the bettery just for the fun of doing it.

I'm one of those R/C guys; have been for 38 years (model aircraft). The batteries used in R/C differ slightly from the batts used in e-cigs. The first difference is that we use (primarily) Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batts. LiPos are generally configured in square or rectangular packs, so they don't lend themselves well to most e-cig devices. I believe that e-cigs batts are Lithium Manganese, still in the lithium family, but slightly different chemistry, or material makeup. Regardless, the handling and employment of all lithium batts are very similar or the same. I'm most familiar with LiPos and in fact have more than $1K invested in charging systems and well over $2-$3K worth of batts. My largest batts are six cell, 5,000 mAh packs that have the ability to safely deliver over two thousand watts of power; yup, I could weld with these ;)

I consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to Lithium batts, however I'm a novice when compared to the folks who contribute to the Battery University website. If you ever want to know about Lithium based batts, I highly recommend that you have a look at their site. The information contained will answer all of your questions and eliminate speculation.

Cheers,

Peter

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread