Charging error, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhantush

Dec 6, 2017
I have 3 batteries(18650) in good condition)
Which i haven't charged in almost 6months, i kept them inside a mod but i had'nt used them in 6months at all, i tried charging them using a nightcore D2 and when i plugged in the batteries correctly the nightcore gave me an error saying (ERR) but my batteries look perfectly fine! Any tips or help on what i should do?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi fhantush. Welcome to the ECF.

Hard to say what is going on. Could be that the Mod slowly discharged those Batteries until their Voltage went to Zero.

Do you have a Digital Multi-Meter (DMM) or know someone who does so you could Measure the Voltage of the Batteries?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's possible that your batteries discharged below a safe recharging rate while in the mod, if the mod was on or drawing power in any way, or they did it by themselves (6 mo is a fair amount of time). It's recommended (I think) to store any used batteries for any period of time at about 3/4 charge... They may over time still go below that rate, but if they're completely spent, it may not be possible to recharge them safely and they may need to be recycled.

ZoiDiMan's suggestion is a good one, if you are able to check their status.

Good luck,

Anna

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Which i haven't charged in almost 6months, i kept them inside a mod but i had'nt used them in 6months at all, i tried charging them using a nightcore D2 and when i plugged in the batteries correctly the nightcore gave me an error saying (ERR) but my batteries look perfectly fine! Any tips or help on what i should do?
Does the mod have a usb port? Have you tried to charge that way just to see if its the battery versus the charger?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome :) have you checked that you put the batteries in the charger the right way? The overly depleted battery thing is a real possibility especially if you did not turn the mod off when you put it away. If lithium batteries get too low they can no longer be recharged and you will have to replace them :/

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
yeah its probably the batteries, i tried charging them with a micro-usb aswell and they dident charge. Is there no way to get them working again? Like putting them in a freezer for a while or something? Thank you all for the help anyway
In theory, maybe. In practice not safely or well. Just buy more batteries. It’s a much better option.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
yeah its probably the batteries, i tried charging them with a micro-usb aswell and they dident charge. Is there no way to get them working again? Like putting them in a freezer for a while or something? Thank you all for the help anyway

Sorry... I wish there was. I'd just chock it up to Bad Luck. And do what Topwater suggested.

Even if you could somehow Resurrect them from Death's Doorstep, I Wouldn't want to put them back into a Mod. And the way My luck goes with things like this, they would Probably fire my Mod.

:?:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
I have provided a little more information which might help choosing/evaluating batteries.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ics-for-mods-the-ultimate-battery-guide.4848/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...attery-current-draw-for-a-regulated-mod.7532/
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor
http://ecigarettereviewed.com/e-cig-charging-safety
Vaping 101: Battery Safety
7 Best Practices to Keep Your Charge

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Very cheap and usefull charger ( XTAR ) can revive batteries. I have both nitecore D4 and one slot xtar I saved one battery before ( samsung 25r ) pulsing the battery can be saved it.

While some chargers can save some over-discharged batteries (depending on how over-discharged they are), the posters who said you can't be sure they're safe afterwards are correct. Over-discharging can damage the batteries. If they were just a wee bit low for a short period you might be OK, but there's no way of knowing if that's the case.

+1 for time to get new batteries. Sorry @fhantush, I know it sucks.

AminyWin

Multiple ID Suspension
Dec 7, 2017
China
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread