Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
There are threads here of people having problems using various chargers that are rated at higher amperage than the device they're charging.

I'm confused. The OP is asking about the wall adapter, correct? It's an adapter, not a charger. The low Amp (.5 or 1A) wall adapter may limit the charging speed, but a higher Amp (2A) will not increase the charging speed. Or am I misunderstanding the OP? And a charging cable is just a cable, not a charger. It may be a simple charging cable or a data-transfer capable cable, but it's only a cable. The device itself controls the speed of charging.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The device is only going to draw up to whatever maximum amperage it is designed to draw when charging.

As long as the charging source is rated at 5 volts and no higher, then whatever the max amperage on the charging source is doesn't really matter because the device should only draw up the the maximum it is designed to draw.

That's why in the manual it says..
    "Do not use a battery charger higher than 5V. Please use the original charging line and reputable charger."

It makes no mention of the amperage rating of the charger because it doesn't matter (in theory).

The reason I frown upon 2 amp chargers for vapes is because a lot of times they don't tell you what the maximum amperage draw is on these devices while charging. So if the max amp draw is supposed to be 1A and you use a 2A changer, and the vape gear malfunctions and actually draws 2 amps, the charger will supply it and cause a potential problem up to & including fire.

I never use any charging source over 1A max for my vapes. But that's just me. (in fact on older devices I have I only use a 0.5A charger).

I think it's reasonable to assume that a modern vape device will have a max draw of at least 1A so if I use a 1A charger but the device malfunctions and tries to draw 2A and explode itself, the charger won't supply it (assuming the charger is functioning properly, everything is a gamble lol).

I am not an electronics expert. Take this all with a grain of salt.

I welcome corrections to what I just posted.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I am not an electronics expert. Take this all with a grain of salt.

Neither am I and I also only use my 1A wall warts--I used to use .5A ones when I first started vaping, but those old batteries had much less capacity (180-250 mAh) in the old days...

I'm also in favor of slow charging generally. I use .5A or 1A settings (when I'm in a hurry) on my external chargers. It's better for the batteries. Or so I've been told by many experts, including Mooch!

Nice post! :)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I agree. All integrated battery vapes I have that are 2016 models or older, they only get a 0.5A charger.

I don't trust the electronics on any vape gear. I don't own any high end gear but if I did I would not trust it either.

My opinions on this may be misguided, but they make me feel safe(r).

Plus, like you said, slower charge is likely better for the battery's overall lifespan.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I agree. All integrated battery vapes I have that are 2016 models or older, they only get a 0.5A charger.

I use my Joyetech .5A wall warts with all my lower-capacity or older internal-battery mods, just in case. I'm in no hurry--I have plenty of mods in rotation; 1A wall adapters for everything else.
    I don't trust the electronics on any vape gear.

Ditto. I've seen too many pictures of melted, exploded, or smoldering batteries in the past. Things have gotten much better over the years, but I still prefer to err on the side of caution.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    I have a smok x pozz and it takes awhile to charge. I have a usb adapter and wall plug in from an Amazon tablet. It charges much faster. Obviously stronger. Is it ok to use that charger and cord? I already lost the cable from the unit.
    I see you have posted before in the New Members forum. Note that you are limited to the number of post in this forum.
    re: New Members - "How many posts do I need to..."
    In the future, you might want to post in the ECF forum most closely representing your subject/question. Suggest re posting in General Vaping Discussion and chat:
    General Vaping Discussion
    Often times,you may receive more knowledgeable/germane/extensive information from the membership in the above/appropriate forum.

Ricky Vapes

ECF Veteran
    Sep 30, 2019
    It’s funny I see this thread because I tried to charge my newish beard trimmer not too long ago and put the charger in that fit then went to bed. I woke up to a strong gross burnt electric smell and realized that my beard trimmer melted . I realized it was a different brand for another beard trimmer and that’s why it must’ve done that.

This wasn’t just a USB cord though this had the wall plug in attached to the cord.

If it does charge faster with the amazon cord I would be wary about leaving the house with it charging.
    Mabye set it on a fire proof surface to be safe(er). Which you should do anyways when charging batteries.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    A cable may look good outside but inside the wires be broken and can affect charging speed....or the pins are damaged....by moving it sometimes u see difference in current...

Also a wall adapter ofc can decrease it's performance....in fact even good adapters will after few years even for a bit in most cases

U can buy an USB charging current metter adapter to check your amps and check if cables are faulty or charger perform as they should....

And in case u have Android phone u can download apps to show the amps your phone charges....just use the charger and cable u want on your phone to examine

But make sure your phone has less than 50% battery when u do that cause only then will draw it's max current so can get real measurements....
    Tricky but no cost way to check your cables....

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    The old Hohm Tech Slice LE would use 3A Fast Charge if available.

Horrible ceramic paint job from Hohm Tech (hence the polishing), but it was an awesome 26650 mod back in the day.
    Slice.jpg

Reactions: Superuser187
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread