Charging my Smok Thallo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeDave

Jan 13, 2021
I'm not battery expert so I am not sure how everything works, but here are my concerns.

My smok Thallo can charge at a 1.2A current but it is a USB-C, why include a USB-C if 5V/1.2A can charge as quickly with a Micro USB? I think.

So here is the question, can I charge my smok Thallo with a 2.1A if I use the wire that came with the kit? It's hard finding a solid power bank with 5V/1A only. I cannot remove the battery, it has a built-in 3000mAH one.

Thanks!

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm not an expert in these matters, but as I understand it a charger or other power source is typically/usually designed to only deliver the current that the device it's charging requires/requests at a given point in time. Chargers do not push current, rather the device it's charging pulls it.

So using a charger/power source with a max output current that exceed the device's max input current should be fine, assuming that you trust that the device you are charging is engineered properly to only ever pull the max current that it's circuitry can handle. Whether or not you trust the device is your decision.

As for why use USB-C connection on a mod when the circuitry of the device can only handle 1.2A input? My guess is because there are a lot of USB-C fanboys out there that complain every time a mod is released that doesn't have USB-C, and smok is trying to appease them without increasing their costs my much (which would ultimately increase the price point in the store). In other words, it's a marketing move.

Smok Marketing memo to Smok Engineers:

Dear Smoktech Engineering Department,

Please design future mods with USB-C connection even though circuitry can only handle 1.2A, because we are sick and tired of complaints from USB-C fanboys that we still use micro USB connections.

Thank you kindly,

Smoktech Marketing Department

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread