Cheap Mech Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanguinesolitude

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2015
Tons.
I have ordered from angelcigs many times.
They are legit, and those are the good king clones.
I have 5 knurled king clones and just ordered one of those copper one last night. ( along with a few RDAs and a Lunacy mod for the wife)
ordered one and a couple other goodies. gonna be my first mechmod.
Any advice on the king clone?
got a couple brand new samsung 25r 18650s to use already

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
ordered one and a couple other goodies. gonna be my first mechmod.
Any advice on the king clone?
got a couple brand new samsung 25r 18650s to use already

They are pretty straight forward and bulletproof.
If it's the cooper one, clean it often for best performance.
I always apply a very thin film of Vaseline to the lock ring threads, and it will never stick.

The top positive contact is adjustable, and also takes care of battery rattle.

If everything is snug and making good contact, it will hit like Thor's hammer and won't fail or misfire on ya.

I have over a hundred mods.
Overall, the kings are my favorite.

sanguinesolitude

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2015
I always apply a very thin film of Vaseline to the lock ring threads, and it will never stick.

If everything is snug and making good contact, it will hit like Thor's hammer and won't fail or misfire on ya.

Received it and not only is it beautiful, it works great. been vaping on it a few days and liking it a lot.
thanks!

Reactions: Bad Ninja

sanguinesolitude

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2015

my button seems finicky. like sometimes i press it and nothing much happens. Or i press and it barely puts out any vapor, then keep holding and suddenly it chugs. any tips?

Chips177

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2014
Slidell, LA
Adjust your positive pin so you have good contact possibly. Don't know if you've taken yours apart, but I just got mine yesterday and tore it apart; the button is very straight forward. I put some dielectric grease (silicone grease) on my lock ring threads and Noalox'ed all the other threads (except the 510) and it's brassy vapey perfection.

Also, it may have to do with your build. Thick gauge wire with a lot of coils will heat up slow. I have 5 wraps of 26 g on my rda (.3 ohm) and even that takes 1/2 sec-1 sec to really get rolling

sanguinesolitude

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2015
Adjust your positive pin so you have good contact possibly. Don't know if you've taken yours apart, but I just got mine yesterday and tore it apart; the button is very straight forward. I put some dielectric grease (silicone grease) on my lock ring threads and Noalox'ed all the other threads (except the 510) and it's brassy vapey perfection.

Also, it may have to do with your build. Thick gauge wire with a lot of coils will heat up slow. I have 5 wraps of 26 g on my rda (.3 ohm) and even that takes 1/2 sec-1 sec to really get rolling
i did a dual coil .5 ohm (two 9 wrap coils 26g coils) and sometimes it hits hard, and othertimes not so much.
seems to work great on my single coil coil subtank in rba mode.

maybe i should try putting my rda in single coil mode

will also try a full strip down.
I did adjust the positive pins, but check what i did for me.
attached atty to top head. screwed outer 510 adjustment pin tight then adjusted inner contact so it fit snuggly with no battery rattle.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
i did a dual coil .5 ohm (two 9 wrap coils 26g coils) and sometimes it hits hard, and othertimes not so much.

attached atty to top head. screwed outer 510 adjustment pin tight then adjusted inner contact so it fit snuggly with no battery rattle.

-With some clones the spring is junk.
Check the spring to see if it's dis colored. It the spring looked good, it's a loose connection somewhere.

-Check the screws for the atomizer. They can loosen from the thermal variation (hot/cool/hot/cool)

- make sure the battery isn't loose. Check for rattle.

-Check top positive connection with the atty.

Chips177

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2014
Slidell, LA

I believe there's your problem...with voltage drop while under load, you're looking at sub 30w hits. This is good on your Subtank (i use 8 wraps of 26g with 2 mm inside diameter), but it takes twice as much power for dual coils as each coil is receiving half of the power.

Also, I don't know what you're using to read your resistance, but with that build I believe you would be closer to the high .5's (as in between .55 and .6). I know some devices just drop the 100th decimal place instead of rounding. This can throw you off quite a few watts. If you have an Android phone, Vapers Toolbox is a great app for the math. Definitely not to take place of metering it though.

It sounds like you're on the right track of figuring it out. The learning curve and journey for the perfect vape is 80% of the fun of mechs. The other 38% is the aesthetics, durability, and craftsmanship. The leftover 4.79% is the adrenaline rush of wondering if you'll blow your face up everytime you hit the button on a fresh build.

Reactions: LuNar

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Thanks. Any other mods you'd recommend that are close to the King in performance?

There are lots that perform as well, the kings are just so easy to use and super solid.

Here's some awesome clones tho some have minor quirks

My FUHatten clone hits like Ike Turner but it has a solid center pin, no lock and a wierd 510. Not a big deal for me, but it is for some.

The SMPL clones are fantastic, but have a pinless 510 connection that can be disastrous if the wrong atty is attached.

The brass GP clones are pretty nice, no issues with mine. They hit really nice.

Nemesis clones are very good, the copper ones are heavy hitters but they have their quirks.

Reactions: jhhollier

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Yeah, I was looking at the FUHattan but don't like the no locking ring. I might just use it as an at home mod where I wouldn't be as concerned.

I was also interested in the Nemesis. The SMPL is clean and looks nice but the hybrid top cap is a no go for me.

Thanks for the answers.

The Stingray X reviews Ive read were good enough I ordered one for my first mech last friday. I was going to get a Nemesis since the Stingray X I wanted I hadnt been able to find cheaper than like $40 until last week. Picked up the SS Infinite one for $15 at Vapor Range. Angelcigs has a white one for $15 too but theyll charge shipping. For some reason the one on Angelcigs isnt in the mech section, but if you use the search box and type Stingray X it shows up. All copper, with a stainless outer tube, supposedly a .1 voltage drop. Hybrid or regular 510 top cap. Im hoping it was a good one to start off with in mech world hehe. Shouldve had it monday but VR accidentally sent me JUST a replacement bottom cap so now I have to wait for them to ship me the mod hah.

Reactions: jhhollier

nikolai111

Jul 30, 2015
Im looking to get a CHEAP (sub $20) mech mod for building coils.

Ive recently got into temp controll, RDA's and RTA's and sub-ohming. Im looking to find a cheap mech mod for finishing up coils (dry burns ect) before they move onto my temp controll PV.

Single 18650 should be more then enough, box style as opposed to flashlight is preferable.

Anybody have a favorite?

look on fast tech and get a 4nine or stingray clone shipping is free just takes <2 weeks

LuNar

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Hays KS
V1 Tugboat ModFlawless Vape Shop | Flawless Vape Shop

Flawlessvaporshop has tugboat v1 mech mods for $20 instead of $100. It uses magnets instead of a spring, it's a hybrid style top cap so you want our atomizer to have a decently protruding 510 pin.

As far as safety goes well a mech mod has absolutely no protection what so ever. A hole for venting incase of a catastrophic battery failure and that's it. I have a tugboat v1 mech and I run a 0.19 ohm build, 22g 6 wraps dual coil. Using it with Samsung 25r's.

This build puts out about 22 amps, I know my Samsung 25r continuous rating is 20 amps so I probably shouldn't be running that low of a build. I take like 1-2 puffs, I'm using the pulse rating which is 35+amps. As long as I don't take a drag too long I should be ohkay. Soon anyways i'll probably build a 0.23 to 0.25 ohm dual coil anyways because the vapor is hot on this build lol. I like a warm vape not necessarily a hot vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread