mech mods vs NOT sub ohm builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtbsmiley

Jul 9, 2014
Jackson,TN,USA
So im no math wiz..and i still dont quite understand mech mods..at least i dont think i do.So heres my quesiton

If im not building low ohm..is a mech mod kinda useless to me? I just bought a mech mod..and maybe the mod is just faulty OR
because im not building low ohm,its not firing as good as i thought it would.

Ive been using VV/VW tube mods..and recently bought a box mod that works really well..So explain something to me

Since im NOT building low ohm builds..is it better to stick with box mods so i can decide what to fire at??
Do mech mods ALWAYS fire lower SOLEY depending on your build?
Do mech mods always fire hotter and harder SOLEY depending on your build?
I guess i just need a lesson

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
The power output can be the same. Just with your regulated device, you are turning up the volts. On the mech, you need to decrease the resistance, which will pull more current from the battery to push more power through the coils.
Depending on your build, a mech can put out a lot more power than many VW devices. You need to tune your coil build to your preference, though, instead of just building whatever and turning the volts up on a VV/VW.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
power (watts) = volts x amps
amps = volts / ohms

you can use online calculators such as ohmslawcalculator.com. Always do the calculations using 4.2 volts (a fully charged battery). My personal preference using RDAs with great airflow is using builds between .2 and .5 ohm. Occasionally for fun, I go slightly lower than .2. Make sure your battery is rated to handle this kind of amperage.

But, since you already have been building and have decided that your current builds aren't enough power for your taste, you need to either decrease the amount of wraps, decrease the diameter of the coils, or use a thicker gauge wire to get the power you desire.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
You can always get a "Kick" for your mech. This adds electronics to your mech and turns it into a VW regulated device. It's not as convenient as a APV as you need to unscrew the top and adjust the wattage setting via a pot with a screwdriver, but it works. That's what I use, as I like the looks and form factor of my mech.

Last edited:
Mech mods also follow your battery voltage, so you're going to be moving from 4.2 volts to (about) 3.4-ish (give or take a whole bunch depending on your taste).

My eyesight rots. I can build at 1.4-ish ohm coil no problem, but finer work is not going to happen as I can't even see the wire. If I used my mech mod any longer, I'd use a Kick in it to moderate it to around 3.6 volts or so, or a bit less.

If you go that route, the mod still has all its other advantages. They're easy to rebuild if something goes wrong. You can charge and carry as many batteries as you want without having to take multiple full setups. Batteries are replaceable and recyclable so you can use the same mech for ages.

Mechs, even Kicked, have a lot going for them.

(If you don't Kick, I'd suggest a Ten Cent Fuse or a resettable fuse to protect your really valuable face).

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I use an 18650 mech mod with a Kick and an 18500 battery installed ... I usually build the coil on my Kayfun to 1.6 ohms which gets me 10 watts of power when I feed it 4.0v

As others have said, the voltage on these batteries is going to be as high as about 4.1v when fully charged, down to about 3.4v before it pretty much dies.

Question: If I just use an 18650 battery (without the Kick) ... Is it true that these batteries will stabilize at about 3.7v for about 80% of the time it would be in use?

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
The VTC5s I use do seem to plateau at around 3.7v for a while before beginning to drop below that, though during that time the voltage does continue to go down (just not as fast as it does from 4.2 - 3.8).

Did the OP mention what resistance his current build is that he's finding to under perform? I don't think you necessarily need a Kick or a subohm build to enjoy a mech setup. I'm perfectly happy using my RSST at ~1.1 ohm on a mech and hear of people using kayfun style RTAs at ~1.5 ohm pretty commonly.

Jtbsmiley

Jul 9, 2014
Jackson,TN,USA
i build most of my stuff around 1 ohm...i recently bought a mech mod..and returned it the next day because..well idk if it was just my build..or the mod itself but i tried my fogger (1.1ohm build) and my plume veil clone (1ohm build) and the mech would barely fire..and it took a few seconds for it to fire to..and you could BARELY see the coils heating up..so idk if it was just my build wasnt low enough to get teh battery to pump out..or if the mod was faulty

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So im no math wiz..and i still dont quite understand mech mods..at least i dont think i do.So heres my quesiton

If im not building low ohm..is a mech mod kinda useless to me? I just bought a mech mod..and maybe the mod is just faulty OR
because im not building low ohm,its not firing as good as i thought it would.

Ive been using VV/VW tube mods..and recently bought a box mod that works really well..So explain something to me

Since im NOT building low ohm builds..is it better to stick with box mods so i can decide what to fire at??
Do mech mods ALWAYS fire lower SOLEY depending on your build?
Do mech mods always fire hotter and harder SOLEY depending on your build?
I guess i just need a lesson

1: For a particular ohms and gauge, you coil build will need a certain voltage.
If it's 5 volts, your mech won't produce much or it will be sluggish.
If it's 3 volts, your mech will seem too hot.

2:
Easier to use regulated mod so you can just adjust to the coil with the press of a button.

3: and 4: yes; depending on your build, the mech will either be too hot , too cold, or just right. You have to adjust the build to suit the mech/battery/3.7 volts.
With a regulated mod, you put the coil on and adjust the voltage to taste.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
A one ohm coil should fire fine on a mech mod with a fully charged battery, unless you use too thick a wire. Thicker wire is slower to heat up.

I have been vaping a 1.7 ohm coil on a mech lately. Not the strongest or hottest of vapes, but I have a cold so it suits me fine at the moment.

With a 1 ohm coil you should get a nice, semi warm vape ... unless you use too thick a wire.

Jtbsmiley

Jul 9, 2014
Jackson,TN,USA
i was using 28g..on a 3mm bit..9/10 wraps i think..came out at 1ohm..both my fogger and plume veil were build teh same..came out the same..but the mech would BARELY heat it up..and even once i fired it..it would take a good..3-5 sec before i could even hear it hiss (heat up) and even when it did..with the tops off..you could barely see it sizzle...maybe it was the mod...magneto v2

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
10 wraps of 28 gauge around a 2mm bit should come out a lot higher than 1 ohm unless its a dual coil.

Put it on your regulated mod and set it to 4.2 volts and vape it. Then put it on your mech with a fresh battery. They should vape about the same. If they don't, your mech has a problem. Maybe something isn't making connection or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread