Status
Not open for further replies.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
This description is generic and is not specific to any brand of Multimeter.

1. Turn your Multimeter on and select the lowest Ohms scale.
  2. The display should show a one (1).
  3. Touch to two leads together and read the display. It might read 000 or it might read something else which is the resistance of the leads. Remember this reading. (Some multimeters have a way to zero the display. If yours does, adjust the display so it reads all zeros.)
  4. Touch one lead to the screw threads and the other to the center of the atty (there's probably a hole there).
  5. Again read the display.

Results of the reading:
  6. If the atty/carto is good you should get a reading that's 2 - 3 numbers higher than what you got in step 3.
  7. If the atty/carto is burned out (open) the reading will show a one (1).
  8. If the atty/carto is shorted the reading will be the same as in step 3.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the answer...

Can you explain why it would show as no resistance? If there's a closed circuit even though it's a short circuit I should get resistance shouldn't I? It probably won't be the coil's rated resistance though... I just want to be sure I can tell before I use it...

Thanks again
An atty/carto will act just like a light bulb. If the filament in a light bulb is good a multimeter will read the resistance of the filament wire.
If the light bulb burns out then there can be no current flow through the filament and the multimeter will not show any resistance, or will indicate an open.
If the filament burns out and one of the supporting legs of the filament (the filament is supported between 2 supports just like a swinging bridge) falls over and touches the other supporting leg there is no resistance and is considered a short. In this situation with a light bulb you will blow a fuse or pop a circuit breaker, or in the case of an e-cig battery, can cause some damage to the battery or associated circuitry.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
You are right that there is some resistance, there is, but it's so small as to be unreadable with anything but the most sophisticated equipment.

But for our purposes if you can not get a reading close to the manufacturers specs you can consider it's either open or shorted.

Just please don't make this any more complicated than necessary... :p

judybr

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2010
Land of the Dragon, Western NC
Spider,

Thanks so much for this info!
I lost 3 batteries yesterday, 2 of them my newer Riva ego batteries to new mega cartomizers that were for 510 units. I was sickened to say the least.
I hope these multimeters are not very expensive but if I can check my new supplies before use maybe in the future it will save me some money!
Judy

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Spider,

Thanks so much for this info!
I lost 3 batteries yesterday, 2 of them my newer Riva ego batteries to new mega cartomizers that were for 510 units. I was sickened to say the least.
I hope these multimeters are not very expensive but if I can check my new supplies before use maybe in the future it will save me some money!
Judy
If you have a Harbor Freight close by, check out these: 7 Function Digital Multimeter & 7 Function Digital Multimeter With Backlight. Both on sale for under $5.00.

If not, try Walmart, Kmart, Target and Radio Shack and look for something cheap.

Oh wait: does it matter where you touch the cartos or atomizers?
Forgive my ignorance but I haven't played with one of those meters in years.
No.

judybr

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2010
Land of the Dragon, Western NC
Thanks for the help on that.
I just have to say I live in the sticks and have not even a Wal Mart close at hand, lol.
NC has some very sparse living areas.
I will check our local A4 and possible car parts stores for one and am sure they won't be as inexpensive as elsewhere but saving money in the long run, it will pay for itself.
Thank you sooooo much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread