Chinese Retail the Answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedor

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Every day, i see more and more indication of a looming ban on ecigs. More and more so called developed countries are following suit. Developing countries will definitely follow in the footsteps of their "big brother".

Suppliers are also finding it increasingly difficult to get stocks released from customs. More frequent than ever, old suppliers as well as the up and comers are getting shipments stuck/ rejected/ held by customs. Customers are faced with their favourite suppliers being out of stock.

Are Chinese online retailers the answer? My guess is that during this period, people like Absolutelyecigs, bestecig, eastmall etc are experiencing a surge in orders. EMS personal parcels can get through any customs in the world without any issues most of the time. There are just too many of them and they have a huge network with most national carriers in the world.

Vapers are mostly willing to pay a little more as margin to their local suppliers in return for faster delivery, service and possibly ease of communication in language. Will more of them turn to Chinese retailers when the local shortages increases?

If this is indeed the trend, what can we expect from the Chinese? Will there be an increase in price as they might be losing volume sales to wholesalers in affected countries? Will the growing demand result in the emergence of new competitors, driving down prices instead?

What about quality? The Chinese are probably the best in cutting down cost to compete. Will this affect quality?

I don't have the answers to all this. Just my 2 cents. All i know is i'm sticking to my PRC (Peoples Republic Of China) supplier and prepare for the worst. Anyone?

kishd

Feb 19, 2009
South Africa
I do not see any logical reason for banning e-cigarettes. The use of nicotine in the fluids might be regulated. Regulating the nicotine might also be difficult as nicorette gum and other smoke cessation products are available without prescription and the amount of nicotine in a box etc is essentially toxic. Please note that the toxicity is in the dose and even a box of paracetamol is dangerous if the entire box is consumed at once.

The next area of "concern" to government might be the inhalation of propylene glycol. The only medical evidence relating to inhaling propylene glycol as shown elswhere in the forum was done in 1941 and shows that it might even be beneficial as propylene vapour is a potent air germicide.

With the current evidence available e-cigarettes are a safer alternative to inhaling tobacco smoke. There is a beneficial effect of nicotine to the user which is why despite the risks associated with smoking people continue to use cigarettes.

The government would have to come up with compelling evidence against e-cigarettes before they can ban the product. It is unlikely that any scientist would back the theory that it is harmful because it looks like you are smoking tobacco.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I do not see any logical reason for banning e-cigarettes.........
The government would have to come up with compelling evidence against e-cigarettes before they can ban the product. It is unlikely that any scientist would back the theory that it is harmful because it looks like you are smoking tobacco.

kishd, I wish you were right but I have to disagree. The government does not need compelling evidence or logic to ban anything. And we are talking about a product that is used by a segment of the population that is already viewed by non smokers as defiant problem children who need to be segregated. You really think there would be any significant protests if this product was banned? We will be lucky if they don't ban it but just tax the hell out of it.

kishd

Feb 19, 2009
South Africa
wv2win, I suppose you are right. In a democracy surely we should be able to challenge the reasoning behind any ban imposed. Much of the scientific data on that involves nicotine is in fact related to smoking tobacco. Using nicotine without the associated tobacco smoke has not been well studied. Some of the available evidence at present shows that it is no more harmful than caffeine.

The e-cigarettes are marketed and aimed at people who smoke tobacco to reduce the harm caused by tobacco smoking. If e-cigarettes are banned many of us would go back to smoking tobacco which is definitely more harmful resulting in a larger burden on the health care system. This argument alone should be helpful in preventing a ban.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
kishd, I agree with you completely. I just think the anti-smoking nazi's and government bureaucrats could care less what people trying to quit smoking think or believe or need. Their own agenda's are more important than common sense. Look at the articles that have been linked here on the forum about e-cigs. You can hardly find one positive comment. I hope I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread