Chipset questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Why put out so many products that compete with themselves?

It’s so they can flood the market so no one else can compete with them. They have the recourses to do so, so why not. In such a fragmented market it’s actually an excellent business plan….assuming of course they are profitable.

I understand your perspective on this, but smok is not alone on this manufacturing process. Computers, appliances, smartphones, automobiles, all practice the same process. The list is endless. Develop a base core and use it across multiple manufacturing lines throughout multiple lifecycles.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
The 2 smok devices you mentioned share a very similar manufacture timeline and release date. It makes perfect sense for them to also share the same chipset
Also, if the timeline is your defense for smok, take a look at the baby mag and AL85. Same chip, much different release time frames.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
It’s so they can flood the market so no one else can compete with them. They have the recourses to do so, so why not. In such a fragmented market it’s actually an excellent business plan….assuming of course they are profitable.

I understand your perspective on this, but Smok is not alone on this manufacturing process. Computers, appliances, smartphones, automobiles, all practice the same process. The list is endless. Develop a base core and use it across multiple manufacturing lines throughout multiple lifecycles.
Ok, but back to my original point. Smok does this practice at such a scale that it is safe to lump them together as a whole, since most of their products are basically the same thing.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Zaryk – I am not debating or defending their practices, I am just outlining what they are and identifying that others practice the same business model. I understand your perspective and for the most part, support it. Flooding the market with similar devices seems to be working for Smok for they are extremely successful.

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
I have two wismec rx gen3 dual, they have been working well even on TC. I'm using the Arctic fox firmware on them both. They perform better than my voopoo drag which weighs a bit, also TC on the drag is not that good. I'm using the latest firmware. My Lost Vape Paranormals DNA 250C and Wismec Rx Gen3 Dual has been a dream on TC.

I also have to mention my GTRS Vboy 200w Version 2. I got it a couple of weeks ago so far so good. Efficiency is 95% on it (as stated on yihi website). The TC is wonderful on it as well. For a cheapie mod it's slightly overpowered on wattage just like the voopoo drag, but wonderful on TC. The weight is slightly less than the voopoo drag. My Voopoo Drag is the heaviest mod that I own.

GTRS Vboy 200w V2 with the Wismec RX Gen3 Dual
Gtrs Vboy 200w and Wismec RX gen3 Dual.jpg

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@flavourchaser – Never knew there was aftermarket firmware for the Wismec. Very interesting. Going to assume installation is pretty straight forward. Is it reversible?

Been contemplating picking up a cheap(er) mod to throw one of my many spare atty’s on. Think you just may have just convinced me. Thanks for the post!

Infamshxr

Sep 17, 2015
Jecked out the Vboy, like it for the most part, but the finiky 510 positive spring and battery door was a big turn off. What a shame.

As for aftermarket Wismec firmware, yes it's reversible, but you probably won't want to. I put Arctic Fox on my RX 2/3 and never looked back. It's great firmware.

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
Jecked out the Vboy, like it for the most part, but the finiky 510 positive spring and battery door was a big turn off. What a shame.

As for aftermarket Wismec firmware, yes it's reversible, but you probably won't want to. I put Arctic Fox on my RX 2/3 and never looked back. It's great firmware.
It's a V2 the door and 510 is fixed. Mine has been working well. The only thing is the Pulse width modulation on TC which is common for all yihi devices, I could feel it, but it doesn't bother me that much

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
@flavourchaser – Never knew there was aftermarket firmware for the Wismec. Very interesting. Going to assume installation is pretty straight forward. Is it reversible?

Been contemplating picking up a cheap(er) mod to throw one of my many spare atty’s on. Think you just may have just convinced me. Thanks for the post!
Yes Installation is very easy, also it's reversible, but I'm very happy with Arctic Fox.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Honestly so much goes into the making of a vape, you have to look at more than Only the chipset, although yes it is important.

For example I LOVE teslacigs as a board, and as a company. They make a wide range of devices and designs and their internals are solid. I still love my Tesla Steampunk nano and it was one of my first vapes. I bought the later more powerful Punk and hated it. It seemed to be designed to be heavy and cut my hands. I sold it after vaping it like 5 times because I knew I'd never enjoy it. Overall design matters too. I love Innoken products and they are solid mods, I have a Proton I can't get enough of, an Eleaf Invoke which is tiny, but great. I also like Geekavpe mods and have a Legend as well as smaller things, a few internal battery setups and some tube mods.

Durability matters, there are certain modmakers I avoid because I'm hard on gear and I know I'll break it like Joytech and well, Smok. I have had mostly good experiences with Smoant although my Cylon got warrantied because of a known screen issue.

Some of the DNA mods are rock solid but you do pay a premium.

Also, everyone has their story of the "next great mod" that wasn't-- for them. It's really about finding what YOU like and what works for you, but the board could be perfection itself and the mod unvapable (to you) like me and the Punk. .I still love Teslacigs but not EVERY mod is for everyone, etc. Design, handfeeel, it matching your vaping style (mine is MTL and also to DROP THINGS a bunch) all play a role.

Good luck choosing. Chances are (at least at the present time) it won't be your LAST mod, so yes do due diligence, but if something is just calling to you it's okay to pay attention.

Anna

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
If you are after efficiency with a mod, can't go too far. The Yihi Sx mini Q mini is the two-cell mod with the highest efficiency actually on the market.
It uses all the most sophisticated designs - buck-boost, syncronous rectification, oversized output stage, and so on. And the firmware is not bugged.
Price may initially put you off, but the batteries will last twice the time of your typical run-of-the-mill mod.

15391038099251264696578.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
I'm looking for the body including .... of a Primo Mini, the brains of an EVOLV Replay, the personality of Arctic Fox, connection throw of a Tesla Nano, sporting carbon fiber like the Paranormal not the sticker it wears now. The bright eyes of the Primo Mini when it first came out was fine but they seem to be dimming in production as time goes by. Splurge an extra $1 on Q.C. and reject those that don't meet it. For dual batt the H-Priv 2 needs EVOLV brains, the body is fine, just stop dressing like a .......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread