Choking/coughing when vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

yovengo

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2014
Houston,TX,USA
Hi there! Im new to vaping and my first set up is the Aspire Atlantis tank on the Ipv2s. I've been getting some good clouds on this for about a week or 2 w/ no problems and for some odd reason just yesterday I was vaping with some friends and I would choke when taking a long hit. And all through the night I couldn't take no long hits with chokinh/coughing. I thought it might be I overfilled it but I cleaned it out and my friends were taking hits with no problem and they are new to it too. So does anyone know why I choke and cough when taking a long hit?

Rsunderl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2014
Silver Spring, MD, USA
dragon welcome2.jpg
Hi yovengo and welcome to ECF!

Your throat is being irritated and there are several possibilities for that.

• Your body getting used to vaping.
    Vapor isn't like smoke. It has larger particles than smoke, and it could be your body getting used to the new sensation.

• Getting dehydrated.
    Vaping actually draws water from your body to produce the vapor. It's therefore important to take in plenty of liquids while vaping. Some folks do water, some fruit juices, and some even put just a bit of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water. I do this myself sometimes - sounds yucky, but it actually helps your body to absorb the water, and if you use just a little bit of the vinegar, it's not bad.

• The flavor of the juice.
    Flavors like cinnamon or menthol are natural irritants. That's why they work so well as an over-the-counter congestion relief remedy. Trying a milder flavor might help. (although cinnamon IS really tasty LOL!).

• The nicotine content of the juice.
    Higher nicotine content causes a harsher vape (some call it "throat hit"). Try a couple of different juices with varying nicotine concentrations. It's a balancing act between getting enough nicotine to satisfy your cravings and not getting too much throat irritation.

• The PG to VG ratio of the juice.
    The more PG, the more "throat hit" (and more flavor). The more VG in the mix, the less "throat hit, but less flavor, too. Again, play around with juices of different ratios.

• Your vaping style.
    If you take short, hard draws, one right after the other, this can cause the coil to get quite hot and you'll get a harsher vape because of the heat. Try taking gentler, longer draws and see if that makes a difference.

• The power setting of your device.
    Start with a low power setting, take a draw or two, then step the power up a bit. When you reach the point where the vape is harsh or the flavor starts to go away, back the power down a notch. Each different juice will have its own "sweet spot" regarding power.

• The heat of the coil.
    I know when I first started vaping, I was doing it like smoking. Taking short, quick draws, one right after the other. This gets the coil very hot, cooks the juice and can get quite harsh.

• Dry hits.
    This is when the wicking material can't keep up with how you are vaping. The coil gets dry and you get a nasty burnt taste. Give the wicking a few seconds between draws so that they can keep the coils wet.

Hope this helps and wasn't overwhelming.

Happy Vaping!

LXXero

Dec 15, 2014
Colorado, USA
the aspire is a particularly powerful tank for your first tank. in fact, I often use resort to cartos or my sophia for a less intense vape, and only use the aspire when I want to really make huge clouds! you might just be getting overwhelmed by the amount of vapor its putting out. might also be worth trying a lower dose of nicotine or a different juice altogether if you're having a bad reaction to just that juice. i've heard many people report that they don't need as high a dose with the atlantis as they do with other tanks.

might also be worth closing the airflow a bit and pulsing the button, to take smaller puffs. since you've got an ipv2 you can also turn the wattage down I think, which may also help give a cooler vape.

yovengo

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2014
Houston,TX,USA
If you were vaping fine for two weeks on the Atlantis and then it became harsh all of a sudden my first thought would be new juice, higher nic, different pg/vg ratio, or maybe you are just getting sick with a scratchy throat...just IMO
I've been using VG base watermelon 0nic .. getting sick with scratchy throat affects it too?

invisiblehand13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Woodville, WI
I've been using VG base watermelon 0nic .. getting sick with scratchy throat affects it too?

IF you ARE getting sick, then yes but if you are NOT getting sick and you have not switched flavor, juice or nicotine then it may just be a dry throat or something to do with your environment...remember that if your throat is dry that "vapor" of any kind will absorb any moisture around it and if your throat is already dry and you vape, it MAY have something to do with it

yovengo

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2014
Houston,TX,USA
IF you ARE getting sick, then yes but if you are NOT getting sick and you have not switched flavor, juice or nicotine then it may just be a dry throat or something to do with your environment...remember that if your throat is dry that "vapor" of any kind will absorb any moisture around it and if your throat is already dry and you vape, it MAY have something to do with it
Damn maybe I shouldnt have boughten 120 ml of juice lol

Fragbob

Jan 18, 2015
That's a monster sized bottle of juice compared to what I'm used to ordering!

Honestly, I'd just say try laying off vaping for a day or two and drinking lots of water/hot tea and see if your throat feels better. Also, since I didn't see anyone ask have you tried changing your coil out to see if that could be an issue? I don't own the Nautilis but I noticed with some of the old Kangers I have kicking around that if I dry hit them on accident they tasted kind of off afterwards.

invisiblehand13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Woodville, WI
Damn maybe I shouldnt have boughten 120 ml of juice lol

You just need to figure out which variable changed for you for this to happen...drink alot of water, turn down wattage and vape on man!!!! There is an adjustment period for anyone switching to vaping and if you have dehydrated yourself (easy way to tell this is if your urine is darker than usual instead of lighter yellow) just a higher regiment of water will cure you in a matter of hours

invisiblehand13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Woodville, WI

Honestly, I'd just say try laying off vaping for a day or two and drinking lots of water/hot tea and see if your throat feels better. Also, since I didn't see anyone ask have you tried changing your coil out to see if that could be an issue? I don't own the Nautilis but I noticed with some of the old Kangers I have kicking around that if I dry hit them on accident they tasted kind of off afterwards.

And yes, it could be the coil, although in my experience with the atlantis that the coil will last four weeks without needing to be replaced and I vape on it ALL the time

P.S.- unless you ran it dry and then it may need replacement sooner, again, just my experience with it

yovengo

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2014
Houston,TX,USA

Yeah, I'll probably lay off for awhile. I don't think its the coils IMO because my friends were hiting it with no problems like I use to hit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread