Choosing a first PV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ochre

Aug 15, 2011
Austin, TX
Been lurking these forums for the past several days, and it seems the more time I spend on here, the more I feel like I'm losing my mind. Not that this place isn't filled with with tons of knowledge, it is. Too much, maybe? So, lets get down to business...

I actually quit analogs as of about three and a half weeks ago, but have been craving something in my lungs. Don't want to go back to smoking, remembered that Ecigs existed, and decided I want to try it out. So, started looking around, ran across the Janty site, and between everything they offered, really found myself drawn to their EGo tank model. Did some more research, saw that several other companies offer a similar product for varying degrees of less money. Awesome! Started looking around the forums here and... several people seem to love this style of PV, and just as many, perhaps more really dislike it! I know everybody is different, so there is no way to know what will be right for me without giving it a whirl myself... but what does seem to be a general feeling around here is that this system may be a bit too complicated for a first device for a noob.

Feeling discouraged at the tank systems at that point, I do some more research, and hey, it seems like nearly everybody ows or has owned some type of 510 and thinks its pretty good. So I think maybe this might work out for me as a good place to start. But it seems pretty univerasal that that batterly life on these is terrible. Which is disappointing.

Another problem I am having is just wanting to make sure I order something from a reputable place that carries genuine products, ships quick, and hopefully at a nice price. Are all the vendors on the forum supplier list probably reliable? It seems like mostly all these devices are probably made in one or two factories overseas and then ever so slightly rebranded by a hundred different companies.

So (getting somewhere towards the end here, I swear) I want to order something quite soon, and it seems lthat just as I find a company selling something I might want for a reasonable price, I see somebody have poor things to say about it, or I just plain wonder if its gonna work well, etc.

Here are a couple things I am considering at this point:

One of the Riva kits from here - Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - Riva 510
Seems very well priced, has large batteries, as far as I can tell can be used with cartomizers, cart plus atty, and possibly a tank if i wanted to try that later? Is the reason many don't like the eGo-t systems mostly because of the tank? Are standard eGo setups despised by less folks?

Titan on sale - Wicked-510 TITAN E-NIC or Electronic Nicotine Imitation Cigarette Black
Pretty good price. Are these manufactured as well as a Joye product? Or are they from the same factory?

Another vendor I was considering was MyFreedomSmokes, they seem to have pretty good prices as well. So confusing...

I just don't know, I feel like my brain is gonna explode. So to sum things up, WTF should I buy, I am open to better or cheaper suggestions on 510-a-likes or alternatives to the Riva/eGo stuff I linked to or maybe even different products. Help?

samuraijill

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Oregon High Desert
I can only speak for myself, but as a relatively new vaper, (June), I'm really glad I went with the Volt from Smokeless Image, KR808D simplicity and just a really satisfying vape. Their customer service is unmatched and shipping is lightning fast.Good luck to you, and welcome! You will definitely get the help you want here, no matter which pv ends up working for you!

lunchbox0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2011
nm
Welcome to the site and the ridiculously over optioned world of the e-cig. I'm no expert and im sure someone will have something else to say but i feel that the ego is a great starter PV(personal vape). Many companies have the same product like you say, i have 2 joye ego's that i have abused for almost a year no issues. Lost one in a snowstorm and found it 3 days later, vaped instantly. If vaping is for you, there is endless options of MOD's(any PV that isn't made in china basically, with varying styles) that you could upgrade to if you enjoy it and want more. A 510 kit is just a tease into vaping, battery life was way too short to use as the daily vape for me.

my experience with the ego tank hasn't been too bad but its not something that i would recommend. Lots of people rave over the cartomizers on the market, and many will tell you dripping directly into an 510 atomizer is the way to go. Any kit from a forum supplier would be a good choice, i have used libertyflights with fast shipping and best price i've seen on ego kits. Many other suppliers are great im sure i just don't have experience with them yet, i just stick to what i know works well.

i hope this helps a little.

reprisal

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2011
South Carolina
Welcome to ECF.

Good decision to skip the analog lookalike stage of vaping, they suck for battery life.

I'd go with that riva kit from LF (in fact, I have before ;p). Pickup a driptip or two. I like LF's 510 metal type B drip tip. Some people dont like metal in their mouth though and they have driptips of other materials. You're going to want a drip tip whether you go with atomizers or cartomizers, odds are you wont end up using cartridges.

Also get some Boge 510 LR (2.0 ohm) cartomizers. 5 pack is 7.99 @ LF with 20% discount.

The riva kit comes with two atomizers (and 10 cartridges for them but noone uses cartridges).

With this setup, you can try dripping and cartomizers and see which you prefer for a total around $40 (before juice).

If you like the cartomizers you can get a pack of 15 of them for $20 and free shipping at crystalclearvaping.com

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Riva 510 is a fine model and Liberty-Flights has the latest model. press the 20% off upper left front page before shopping.

The cone won't fit well over a cartomizer but you can buy a single Riva 901 cone there and that will fit over standard 510 cartomizers like Boge (the most popular cartos). I don't bother with the cone.

If you decide to try tanks, you can stick an Ego tank atomizer and tanks on it.

B4DJ1N64N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Indonesia
Just adding some info, Ego-T is basically a larger capacity 510 battery with tank atty and tank cartridges.
Ego-T battery units has 5-click on/off function, ego standard battery doesn't have that function.
Standard Ego usually use 510 atty or ego mega atty type A or type B, these atty use cartridges system (with polyfill inside the cartridges to hold the juice).
All of them are 510 thread, so you can use tank atty (ego-T type A or B, or 510-T atty) on your standard ego battery, and vise versa.
Most of the people using ego loves Boge cartos (including me). Ego cone are not necessarily needed.
Try some Boge LR cartos & dual coils cartos, compare them with tank system, see what you like.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I also recommend the Riva set from LF. I bought a set about 6 mos. ago, and it's still going strong. I would also suggest you buy a backup charger - if yours breaks (like mine did), you're SOL. Welcome to ECF, and I hope you have a fun and successful vaping journey.:)

p.s. - Don't forget to order plenty of juice.

Ochre

Aug 15, 2011
Austin, TX
You guys are quick as heck, I appreciate all the replies!

I'll grab some of those Boge 2.0 ohm cartomizers to try out.

Is there much of a difference between the Riva and the Joye eGo other than the Riva being a bit cheaper and slightly bigger standard battery?

Also, I am definitely going to make an order from some other spots for some juices that look good, but does anybody have any recommendations on stuff that I should throw in on my LF order?

Thanks much, you guys are rad.

reprisal

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2011
South Carolina
The SE is 5 dollars more and has a chrome band (it fades over time into a coppery red color, wish it didn't). I assume the gold band on the riva lites does the same thing. There used to be a voltage difference between the SE and the lite but now both are the same batteries.

The SE is a silvery/chrome color, looks very nice. SE comes with LR (1.5 ohm) atomizers. Lite comes with 2.2 ohm atomizers. LR atomizer will drain batt faster, but give more and hotter vapor. 2.2 ohm will drain batt slower with a little less vapor and cooler vapor.

Alexi5

Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Cyprus
Hey there, welcome to the world of vaping. I always recommend people to get high quality devices that will last for years. What I really like is the altsmoke series (SB, Omega and Apha). If you want something that's not too big I would really recommend the Alpha but if you would like something more hefty the SB and the Omega are awesome choices. Just wanted to give my 2 cents :)

THJahar

Jul 14, 2011
UK
As others have said, the Ego-T has a basic 510 thread which is becoming the predominant thread in PV's. So is capable of taking lots of different atomizers, cartomizers or tank systems. Even if you upgrade to one of the flashier Mods, you'll still keep the good ole reliable ego batteries around as they're quick to charge with just a lead and a USB port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread