Choosing coils for RTA vs rda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowish83

May 26, 2018
Hi guys
First of all I’d like to thank u all , this forum has been great help for me .
Am confused if there s any difference between ideal coils used for RTA or rda
I buy premade coils , and have single coil RTA and dual rda .should there be any consideration when buying coils in which I will be using them in terms or resistance , metal used , size , wrap etc ..
Cheers

Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi guys
First of all I’d like to thank u all , this forum has been great help for me .
Am confused if there s any difference between ideal coils used for RTA or rda
I buy premade coils , and have single coil RTA and dual rda .should there be any consideration when buying coils in which I will be using them in terms or resistance , metal used , size , wrap etc ..
Cheers
hi mate,
As long as they (the coils) fit and you are using a regulated device, you should be fine.
What devices are you mounting the coils in?
What regulated device(s) are you using?
What type of wire do you prefer?
Will you be using Temperature control or wattage mode?

Cheers
I

More focused information about RDA/RTA: Rebuildable Atomizer Systems

Mowish83

May 26, 2018
hi mate,
As long as they (the coils) fit and you are using a regulated device, you should be fine.
What devices are you mounting the coils in?
What regulated device(s) are you using?
What type of wire do you prefer?
Will you be using Temperature control or wattage mode?

Cheers
I

More focused information about RDA/RTA: Rebuildable Atomizer Systems

Hey am using vaporesso switcher with Zeus single coil RTA and drop dual rda
It’s my only device , I really can’t tell what difference the type of wire makes . I only vape in wattage mod . Just thought there was a specific coil features for each atty . Guess it doesn’t matter then . Thanks a lot

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
All of the things you Name matter. So buy a variety of coils and maybe some wire.... wrapping coils is the easy part.... Ohm matters more to the mod your using or the batteries.... but all the physical aspects of the coil gauge grade number of wraps and ID are important 2....

Ohm really only matters in a unregulated mod to determine wattage and amp draw. .. on a regulated mod all it really tells you is the range of max wattage output. As the wattage is what determine battery safety not the ohm.

Determining the correct build for you and you device is the hardest part of builds.. Steam-engine.org can help.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Subjectively, there will probably be some differences in what you might prefer in either object (and also from atomizer, to atomizer to atomizer, regardless of what it is.)

Also, some rebuildables will only fit a coil up to a certain diameter, some seem to do best with single coils or dual coils..

Experiment away, just keep in mind the lower the resistance and the more mass (metal) you have in your build, often the more wattage you will need to achieve your desired vape (to a point).

I will often use a higher mass more exotic coil in a single coil atomizer which gives me more metal mass and sometimes better flavor or higher vape production, as compared to halving my resistance by building dual coils which I then have to try and build, install and wick as evenly as I can, to get the same "general overall" result than an exotic coil that is a single for example.

Your vape style also matters, I am a MTL vaper and quite often I find a single round coil to give me good flavor at the lower wattages I prefer, sometimes I want to kick it up a notch.

You are going to have to experiment basically but there are no "RDA vs RTA coils," etc.

Anna

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
First, you didn't mention whether you vape regulated or unregulated. If you're on a mech (unregulated), this is a much bigger discussion. I'll assume you're vaping on a regulated device. I'm figuring you would have mentioned it otherwise. I'll also use the same logic to assume (dangerous, I know; especially twice) that you're vaping in a power mode as opposed to temp control.

The metal used only matters if: you are vaping in TC, you are sensitive to a particular metal (like nickel) or one of the alloys just tastes nasty to you. One additional consideration is if you have an older mod that has a higher "low resistance limit", say 0.6Ω as opposed to the 0.1Ω of many newer devices.

The topic of coil geometry has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads. Izan shared a link that is a good place to start. Understand that this can be a rabbit hole. Prepare for many different opinions, along with basic physics. Before you start down the hole, know your style of vaping and what you prefer... or the the style of vaping to which you'd like to be accustomed. IE. Do you like long or short ramp-up/cool-down times? Do you like a cool, warm or hot vape? Are you a flavor chaser, cloud chaser or somewhere in between?

My opinion? You can practically make a second career out of chasing the "perfect vape", if one actually exists. Do whatever makes you happy, is relatively safe and keeps you away from burning tobacco. I keep single-coil, round wire builds in my RTAs. My RDA builds get a little fancier. For me, simple is generally better. I spend barely more time thinking about my vapes than I did about my smokes. But I don't vape to vape. I vape to not smoke.

Good luck!

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I used to buy fused claptons from Geekvape, they were pretty nice (and very accurate on 0hm readings imo).
Then i wanted more battery life out of my mods/squonkers so i started making my own (which with a good jig kit becomes dead easy even with my shaky hands)

These days i mostly use either SS 24Awg or Simple Kanthal 24Awg, i can get easily 2 days of battery on my Aegis legend at 40 watts, and the flavor i get from those builds on my drop is intense 90% of the time (those 10% is usually me trying a liquid i don't usually go for and ending up hating it's flavor lol).

Haven't gotten above 50 watts in months now, still chucking those clouds even on a single coil (recurve rda)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread