• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Christian Thanksgiving (Philippians 1:1-11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
This Sunday's Lesson:

"I thank my God," says the Apostle--That is what we are asked to do, and our national tradition designates one day each year for this purpose. For Christians, however, giving thanks to God is not confined to a single day or to a special Thanksgiving service of worship. It is the keynote of all our worship and this was known already to the worshipers in Old Testament times. They said, "Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving" (Psalm 95:2) and "I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving" (Psalm 116:17). Paul describes the worship in the New Testament church as "always and for everything giving thanks to God" (Ephesians 5:20) The early Christians named their sublimest act of worship, the reception of the body and blood of their Lord, Eucharist, which means thanksgiving. And when they envisioned worship as it was to be in heaven, it was to give "blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving ... to our God forever and ever" (Revelation 7:12).
Since the foundation of our nation was laid by Christian men and women, Thanksgiving Day has been from the beginning an important national as well as religious holiday. All citizens, Christians and non-Christians alike, are asked to remember the giver of every good and perfect gift. Surely we have reason to be grateful for our precious national heritage, for the privileges we enjoy as Americans, our freedom, our high standard of living, our opportunity to make the most of our capacities. In thanking God for our heritage as a nation, we should not forget to thank him for the ordinary everyday blessings, the little things that still count for so much in making life rich. But let us now turn from these lovely little things to the big things which only Christians can appreciate and for which they give thanks to God not only on Thanksgiving Day but every day.

Paul states the first of these in the words, "I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace."
The grace of God is the main reason for Christian thanksgiving. What do we mean when we speak about grace? Grace is undeserved love. This key word portrays God in the full sovereignty of his love. It stands for the remarkable fact that God has it in his heart to love us as we are, that his love is not determined by our worth or worthlessness. It is love that finds weakness and creates strength, love that finds sin and creates salvation. Here is the living center of the entire "good news." We are delivered from our sinful preoccupation with ourselves by a love that seeks us while we are still careless or hostile, embraces us in the midst of our sin, lifts us up into fellowship with God. It is revealed, above all, in the death of Christ for sinners--"God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" That is why the New Testament stresses first of all "the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ."
This grace contains all that we need. When Paul prayed for relief from his burden, God answered, "My grace is sufficient for you". Grace transformed the "thorn in the flesh" into a handle for getting a firmer grip on the power of God. In the hour of despair, when all other help fails, and in the hour of death, when everything we trusted in is taken away from us, only God’s grace is adequate to our need. Paul had an unforgettable experience of this when he first came to Philippi, and I am sure that he could not help having it in mind as he was writing to the Christians in that city. It is for this "good news" of grace that we are eternally grateful.

Paul states the second reason for Christian thanksgiving in the words: "I am thankful for your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now."
The Apostle recalls that first day when he arrived in the imperial city of Philippi in Macedonia, now part of Greece. In response to a vision in which a voice called out to him, "Come to Macedonia and help us," he had abandoned his original travel plans and crossed over into Europe. He came to Philippi not knowing a single soul there. He learned that a little group of God-fearing Jews and some Greeks who were interested in the Jewish religion had a meeting place outdoors on a riverbank. There he went and brought his message of the Messiah who had come and whose kingdom was open to all, both Jews and Greeks. His first convert was Lydia, a Greek businesswoman, whom Paul baptized together with her whole household. "The Lord opened her heart," Luke tells us, so that she not only received Christ but also opened the door of her house to Paul and his companion Silas. Lydia’s home became Paul’s headquarters in Philippi as he taught the new Christians to bear witness to others of the Savior whom they had found. Thus was established the first Christian congregation in Europe, from which the word of the gospel was spread throughout the continent.
The Philippian Christians not only received the gospel but they were partners in the spreading of the gospel from the very beginning. Each one was a missionary at home and at work and with their gifts they assisted in the mission work beyond their own city. They gave, says Paul, not according to their means but beyond their means, begging for the privilege of sharing in the Lord’s work. And they kept it up---Beside Paul, as he was writing from a Roman prison, was Epaphroditus who had just come from Philippi and brought to him their newest gift. For this missionary spirit the apostle is grateful. "I thank my God," he says, "for your partnership in the gospel." Thank God that the missionary spirit still lives in our churches. Thank God that there are dedicated men and women whose outlook extends beyond their own congregations, who seek earnestly to do their part as partners in the gospel in the world mission of Christ.

Paul states the third reason for Christian thanksgiving in the words, "God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment."
The response to the grace of God and the ensuing partnership in the gospel are motivated by intelligent and responsible love. Paul remembers in his prayer all the members of the congregation in Philippi, without omitting a single one. He remembers them all and thanks God for them all--This is the "new life in Christ" of the early church. Paul was a Jew, the Philippians were mostly Greeks and he had not known them long and his stay with them was short But the love of Christ bound them together into one family of God. National and racial differences were wiped out in this community of love.
So it should be with the church of today--Our thanksgiving is a Christian thanksgiving only when it is prompted by love and expresses itself in works of love. Amid the suspicions and the hatreds of the world the church is the community where burdens are lifted, where cares and sorrows are shared, where wounded hearts are healed, where distress is alleviated. And from this community of love, healing, and helping love radiates into the world. We do not give thanks in the spirit of the Pharisee, "I thank thee that Iam not like other men" (Luke 18:11). Both within the church and in reaching out to care for all suffering and needy people we have reason to pray with the apostle that "love may abound more and more. A living congregation is a loving congregation, and the more it shoulders the responsibilities of love, the more it becomes a source of gratitude.

The fourth and final reason for Christian thanksgiving is contained in Paul’s words, "that you may approve what is excellent, and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruits of righteousness which come through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God."
While others give thanks for the fruits of the earth, Christians give thanks for the fruits
that grow from the soil of the heart. So we thank God above all for our Savior Jesus Christ because it is Christ who purifies our hearts of selfishness and fills our lives with the fruits of righteousness. So it should be that God receives true glory and praise. The song of praise that God loves to hear is a life that shows Christ at work, a life of self-forgetting obedience and service. As one man of God expressed it long ago, "What I have done is worthy of nothing but silence and forgetfulness, but what God has done for me is worthy of everlasting and thankful memory." God help us to celebrate Thanksgiving in this spirit!

__SG

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
I think everyone should make a list each Thanksgiving, thanking God for what He has given you. You'd be amazed at how many items you can come up with.....like an electric/gas oven to cook your turkey in, instead of a wood stove. It is all God's anyway....everything belongs to God and He allows us to take care of it for awhile....even our children, and our 4-legged children.

Thank You, Father for taking care of us, each according to our needs. Thank You Father, for even throwing in some wants. You spoil us, Lord, but that is what a father does with his children. There are many that have nothing, Lord.....not even food for a dinner, even though they work more than one job. Bless those households with Thanksgiving and Praise. As with me, Lord, I don't need things to make me happy, I only need You. You are the source of my happiness and praise, even on the dark days, because I always know You are there.....always holding my hand, even when the tears flow. I thank You, Father, for having the time for me and that You gave Your all at Calvary for me. Jesus' sacrifice is what I'm most thankful for, Lord. What a gift! I pray, Lord that You remind Your creation from whence they came. This is for Your Glory, for Your Honor, and for Your Praise, for You are everything to me and I love You so. Thank You Lord for this group of wonderful people and I ask that You bless each and every one of them, not just for Thanksgiving, but through eternity. For I ask in the awesome Holy Name of Jesus, Amein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread