Clapton Coil Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickleweasle13

Feb 9, 2017
Hey guys I'm new to building with clapton coils and I was wondering if someone could help me out. I am trying to get a 0.5 build with 24 gauge kanthal core and 34 gauge kanthal wrap as well with my clapton wire. I've tried a few apps but everything keeps moving around and it give me a crazy amount of wraps. So i was wondering if someone that has experience can tell me how many wraps I would need to get to my desired ohms. I'm using a 2.5 coil jig.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Did you try Steam Engine?
Clapton.JPG

This is the full wire wizard. 6 wraps of a 2.5 ID 24/34 Kanthal will give you 0.587 ohm (close enough for most folks.

Remember, the inner coil is what carries the current. The wrap contributes very little, other than surface area to vaporize more juice. Here's what a 24G Kanthal would look like in the simple version on SE

Clapton in wrapping chart.JPG

As you can see, essentially the same number of wraps. Stuff like heat flux andall might be a little different, but both calculators will get you where you want. It's mostly stuff like fused Claptons that it starts to be more important to understanding just what it is you're building (a dual core fused Clapton would be more like a parallel setup as that's what it is, 2 parallel cores in a wrap).

pickleweasle13

Feb 9, 2017
Did you try Steam Engine?
View attachment 644755
This is the full wire wizard. 6 wraps of a 2.5 ID 24/34 Kanthal will give you 0.587 ohm (close enough for most folks.

Remember, the inner coil is what carries the current. The wrap contributes very little, other than surface area to vaporize more juice. Here's what a 24G Kanthal would look like in the simple version on SE

View attachment 644757

As you can see, essentially the same number of wraps. Stuff like heat flux andall might be a little different, but both calculators will get you where you want. It's mostly stuff like fused Claptons that it starts to be more important to understanding just what it is you're building (a dual core fused Clapton would be more like a parallel setup as that's what it is, 2 parallel cores in a wrap).

Yeah I must doing something wrong then because I keep on getting 2.1 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread