Clapton Wire or Premade Clapton Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visivicous

Mar 23, 2009
I vape MTL. Currently, I use an Aspire Plato with a Triton Mini 1.8 ohm clapton coil.

I'd like to try a high ohm clapton build in my old Kanger Toptank rta. The build deck is so small, I figure I'd build a micro coil.

Any suggestions on where I could buy some clapton wire which would be good for building a 1.8+/- ohm micro coil? Or perhaps even some premade micro clapton coils in that resistance range that could fit the build deck of the toptank?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
clapton isnt very good at microcoils because by definition it's really thick. I like @Beamslider's idea of doing a twisted dual instead. You'll have to twist it yourself, probably, and it still might be too unwieldy for a microcoil.

exotic wrap + microcoil just doesn't go that well together

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
clapton isnt very good at microcoils because by definition it's really thick. I like @Beamslider's idea of doing a twisted dual instead. You'll have to twist it yourself, probably, and it still might be too unwieldy for a microcoil.

exotic wrap + microcoil just doesn't go that well together
All depends on the wire you use. Example I'll spin up every now and again a 34x2/44 fused Clapton for my Tootie Puffers when in the mood.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Letitia

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
All depends on the wire you use. Example I'll spin up every now and again a 34x2/44 fused Clapton for my Tootie Puffers when in the mood.

40+ Wire is thinner than hair though and quite hard to work with. I'm not sure sending a new wire wrapper in that direction is a kindness

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
40+ Wire is thinner than hair though and quite hard to work with. I'm not sure sending a new wire wrapper in that direction is a kindness
No it's not but saying Claptons aren't good for micro-coils is a false statement. They work wonderfully as micro-coils.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
To get a 1.8 ohm clapton coil to fit in the subtank deck with those screws he is going to have to use some pretty small wire to make them.
Yes and I'm sure there is a coil maker out there that can do it. He did mention buying pre-made coils.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Yes and I'm sure there is a coil maker out there that can do it. He did mention buying pre-made coils.

Maybe that there are some that make them but I think a 1.8ohm clapton precoiled for RBA is going to be extremely hard to find. I don't see any in that range on fasttech or elsewhere. Doubt there is much demand. The premade ones in that range all seem to be entire coil.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Maybe that there are some that make them but I think a 1.8ohm clapton precoiled for RBA is going to be extremely hard to find. I don't see any in that range on fasttech or elsewhere. Doubt there is much demand. The premade ones in that range all seem to be entire coil.
Nope Fasttech certainly won't have them but then again pre-made coils from Fasttech are crap. If you're going to get pre-made coils there are a lot of people who make custom coils.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
The vape shops around here that used to make coils for people now don't. They have put up signs saying they can no longer do it under deeming rules from FDA. They may be wrong but that is what they are doing.
Yeah that's a bunch of BS, all they need to do is get a manufacturer license. My local B&M has one and they are blessed to do builds. Doesn't cost much, just some jumps and hoops they need to do. I give them my practice coils and they don't charge for building or for the coils I supply them for free. It brings in a fair amount of customers who in turn become loyal customers who buy their house line juice.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
They can do whatever they want unless they get caught. Just because the FDA might not be fully enforcing things doesn't mean it is okay to do. Getting a manufacturing license is both expensive and hard. You also need to submit what you manufacture for approval. It is not as simple as applying and paying for a license.

Here are vape shop deeming regulations. A read of them seems that the local vape shops are correct.
https://www.fda.gov/downloads/TobaccoProducts/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/UCM501234.pdf

As far as cheap. I doubt he will find a vape shop near him willing to make one for free or less than $20. He can try but doubtful. The fact that 1.8 ohm clapton coils for RTAs are not to be found for sale on the net from either china or the us probably means they are not being offered in retail packaging. Further complicated by the small size and tight screws in Subtank along with the legs needing to be in opposite directions not the same.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
There is a guy on Ebay who handmakes lovely coils of different types. His stock is labeled for resistance and he will raise or lower the resistance if you ask. He has a great deal going on now (buy two packages and a third free, shipping is free) and his coils are well priced, to begin with. I like making my own but want some hard to roll ones and am thinking of ordering of him. He has 99.8% positive ratings.

Twisted Coils on Ebay

He has a website with the same deal and it is easier to look at his lovely coils.

Twisted Coils Website

Just a thought for hard to roll coils. I have never ordered from him and have no relationship but thought he might be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread