Cleaning Atomizer (Rta/rda) using enzyme cleaners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deluminator

Aug 6, 2018
I usually clean all my new atomizers in an ultrasonic cleaner using a solution of water and simple dish soap. And then run it once again with just water to remove dish soap.
This is to remove machine oil and other contaminants before first use, and is advice I have read in several places online.
I use the same method to remove coil gunk from burnt juice that gets stuck on the deck of the atomizer and requires scrubbing by hand normally.

Now, I am kind of obsessive with having something I use regularly like an atomizer tank properly sterilized.
Reason is if you use something all day long it's bound to get some sort of contaminant that isn't so easy to remove, like a protein based stain. It can be a small amount of blood from times I have cut my hand a bit without noticing, or sweat, or even some kind of milkshake that might splash and land in the atomizer somehow.
Personally I find the idea of something that targets those types of stains and practically cleans my atomizer completely (remember those stuff are not sterilized when you buy them too) pretty attractive.

In medicine a standard practice to clean surgical equipment and sterilize them is to put them in an enzymatic solution inside of an ultrasonic cleaner.

I don't see why shouldn't I do the same once in a while, yet I haven't found online anyone even mentioning this.

The most usual enzymatic cleaners (not bio enzymatic which also contain good bacteria) have the enzymes protease, lipase, amylase, to remove protein, lipids, starch. Although ideally you might want something the also contains carbohydrase that breaks sugars, which might come in handy for that burnt glycerin ejuice on the deck (even with an ultrasonic cleaner it isn't easy to remove totally unless you run it for many hours).

The enzyme cleaners I looked up, are not oxidizers, not caustic, and have neutral ph. So they have pretty good chemical compatibility, no reactions with metals, plastics, elastomers.
So you can clean the orings as well that way.

The one I found says not to use on EPDM and brass though for some reason. And since I know EPDM is used besides nitrile and other elastomers as oring material, I try to contact the atomizer producer to find out what materials they use specifically.
(If you know what oring material is commonly used in atomizers inform us)

So basically this whole idea is on how to guarantee a sterilized result using the highest standard used in typical medical/surgical equipment. Might be an overkill but helps knowing your stuff are as clean as new and might eliminate any unwanted smell as well.

Share your thoughts. Thanks

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um well I guess you could use it? If you so desire? IDK I don't require most things in my life to be sterilized to "medical grade" quality and even with an enzymatic cleaner you won't get there unless you buy an autoclave, as well.

Also, cleanliness may well be next to godliness and all that but I think the payoff for doing this (while you may want to give it a shot) just may not be NECESSARY. If you are a germaphobe, well, go for it but really 99.9% of what we encounter on a daily basis is not cleaned to "medical grade" and you know we have immune systems for a reason and all that.

I think they've done studies on kids being exposed to a certain amount of dirt is actually better than those parents who frantically sanitize everything, immune systems aren't functional if they remain unused and whatnot and "keeping the child from all germs" is just a recipe for disaster later on. Etc.

I mean, don't clean your atties in the toilet or anything but I do (personally) believe that well, there is "clean enough" although also FUNNILY enough when they check out toilets I think one of the cleanest places (often, if it's really cleaned and not some shack down by the river pretending to be a bar" the LEAST germs they found was on the toilet SEAT unless some germaphobic WOMAN has to hover her ... dramatically ABOVE the seat, and sprinkle urine liberally all over it and she's all germaphobic for HER, but does she like, think "What about the sane woman who may come AFTER me, and like, actually want to clean the seat?" does she EVER ONCE THINK THAT?

No, no she does NOT, and frankly, urine is also usually and for the most part like, sterile-ish unless you have a bladder infection but I SURE hate the times when I forget to check the seat REAL closely and I hate walking around with other women's pee on me for the rest of the day, so I feel really UPSET in that moment and wonder darkly to myself, "Why can't people BE SANE about stuff jesus Christ, etc."

But like, I can't think up any reason to not do it other than it's not that necessary, and there are far worse things in life one can be exposed to and etc. than a bit of bacteria, here and there.

And, I haven't had the flu since I quite vaping and PG is also microbial so seriously I do think you are covered with your UC no need from enzymatic anything but your take on life may be quite different than mine, so take that for what it's worth.

Anna

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
I usually clean all my new atomizers in an ultrasonic cleaner using a solution of water and simple dish soap. And then run it once again with just water to remove dish soap.
This is to remove machine oil and other contaminants before first use, and is advice I have read in several places online.
I use the same method to remove coil gunk from burnt juice that gets stuck on the deck of the atomizer and requires scrubbing by hand normally.

Now, I am kind of obsessive with having something I use regularly like an atomizer tank properly sterilized.
Reason is if you use something all day long it's bound to get some sort of contaminant that isn't so easy to remove, like a protein based stain. It can be a small amount of blood from times I have cut my hand a bit without noticing, or sweat, or even some kind of milkshake that might splash and land in the atomizer somehow.
Personally I find the idea of something that targets those types of stains and practically cleans my atomizer completely (remember those stuff are not sterilized when you buy them too) pretty attractive.

In medicine a standard practice to clean surgical equipment and sterilize them is to put them in an enzymatic solution inside of an ultrasonic cleaner.

I don't see why shouldn't I do the same once in a while, yet I haven't found online anyone even mentioning this.

The most usual enzymatic cleaners (not bio enzymatic which also contain good bacteria) have the enzymes protease, lipase, amylase, to remove protein, lipids, starch. Although ideally you might want something the also contains carbohydrase that breaks sugars, which might come in handy for that burnt glycerin ejuice on the deck (even with an ultrasonic cleaner it isn't easy to remove totally unless you run it for many hours).

The enzyme cleaners I looked up, are not oxidizers, not caustic, and have neutral ph. So they have pretty good chemical compatibility, no reactions with metals, plastics, elastomers.
So you can clean the orings as well that way.

The one I found says not to use on EPDM and brass though for some reason. And since I know EPDM is used besides nitrile and other elastomers as oring material, I try to contact the atomizer producer to find out what materials they use specifically.
(If you know what oring material is commonly used in atomizers inform us)

So basically this whole idea is on how to guarantee a sterilized result using the highest standard used in typical medical/surgical equipment. Might be an overkill but helps knowing your stuff are as clean as new and might eliminate any unwanted smell as well.

Share your thoughts. Thanks

If you want to match the "highest standard used in typical medical/surgical equipment", then I think you'd need to do more than put the parts in a cleaning solution in an ultrasonic cleaner. Most folks don't own an autoclave but it is common practice to use an autoclave. I wonder if the plating or PVD coating on many of the RTAs would hold up to high temps of an autoclave. Surgical tools aren't plated.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread