Ultrasonic cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techmatlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Has anybody used an ultrasonic cleaner for removing tarnish on their mods? I've been reading through the reviews on Amazon, and almost everyone says great things about cleaning jewelry with one. To me, they seem to have an advantage to the traditional microfiber cloth and polish. All it uses is water and dish soap to gently remove tarnish from jewelry. This also is a positive for me because my GP PAPS Lux has plated contacts and I cannot use an abrasive polish on the contacts or else the plated metal will be removed. It also is a win-win too because you can steep juices and the cleaning process doesn't require you to hand clean all the parts. I do have a question though; would I still have to polish it after the ultrasonic cleaner to get that polished finished, or would it come out of the ultrasonic cleaner polished?

This was the ultrasonic cleaner I was interested in buying Amazon.com : Sonic Wave CD-2800 Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner : Audio & Video Cleaning & Repair Products : Electronics

ctippen

Mar 29, 2013
United States
This sounds very interesting and wonder how well it will clean coils. Have read in some other post that you can use it for both cleaning and reducing steep time in juices. Do any of you have one and does it actually work for both. I too am looking for a good all around sonic cleaner.

What about one that generates a little heat? Would this help in cleaning coils? Would in help in speeding up the steeping process?

Last edited:

techmatlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I'm sure it will clean coils very well. The ultrasonic cleaner creates frequency waves that bounce off the items you place in there with a lot of force and removes grime, etc. A lot of people claim that ultrasonic cleaners speed up steeping juices, so I'm excited to try that out. There's other ultrasonic cleaners on Amazon or any other store that have a heating option, but you spend a little more. The heat will help with cleaning and steeping. I'm just going to boil water till it's distilled, and add the hot water into the ultrasonic cleaner I bought linked above.

I found out that ultrasonic cleaners do not remove tarnish, at least not deep tarnish. There is however a few articles I read from people who used special cleaners in the ultrasonic cleaners to remove tarnish from jewelry.

ctippen

Mar 29, 2013
United States
Went ahead and purchased on.
Amazon.com: Kendal Industrial Grade 160 Watts 2.5 Liters Digital Heated Ultrasonic Cleaner

Going to give it a try. Reading through some of the reviews of Ultrasonic cleaners, one jeweler mentioned he used lemon ammonia, little soap and water to clean jewelry. Now, as for the tarnish? I will be looking too. I use lemon juice and vinegar to clean the plastic bottles. Will try this too on the coils and see what happens.

aufin

Sep 1, 2013
Lakeland, Fl
Being in the jewelry business for 40 yrs, I do have a little experience with ultrasonic cleaners. First off, "cleaning rifle and pistol brass" is probably done with a tumbler, especially if polishing compound is added, not an ultrsonic. Two completely different machines, and processes. For cleaning your coils, I would suggest getting the strongest machine you can afford. The small tabletop ultrasonics are ok for the housewife wanting to knock a little dirt 'n stuff off her jewelry, but don't offer a lot as far as deep cleaning. Professional machines can get a bit pricey, but I have been using mine for over 30 years. Mine cost $300+ (way back when).....you get what you pay for. Also, if you intend to clean just one or two small coils, there is no need to fill the entire tank with what you intend to use for the cleaning. Find a small jar, fill it with your cleaning solution and float the jar in the tankfull of water. Preferable a glass jar such as baby food comes in. Plastic medicine bottles work, too, but some of the ultrasonic waves can be absorbed by the plastic, where glass transfers much more of the waves. And, what you use for cleaning could erode the plastic. Don't allow the jar to sit on the bottom of the tank. Make sure it floats free. Seems touching the bottom interferes with the transducer creating the ultrsonic waves and makes the transducer heat up to the point of damaging it, thereby shortening the life of your machine. I've been told that straight Coca Cola works pretty well to clean coils. Might try that as a cleaning solution. Also been told that maximum proof grain alcohol bought from a liquor store is the best/safest to use for clening. Seems denatured has some additives, put in by manufacturere to keep one from drinking the stuff, that aren't too healthy to breathe.

cvedrick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
League City, Texas
Has anybody used an ultrasonic cleaner for removing tarnish on their mods? I've been reading through the reviews on Amazon, and almost everyone says great things about cleaning jewelry with one. To me, they seem to have an advantage to the traditional microfiber cloth and polish. All it uses is water and dish soap to gently remove tarnish from jewelry. This also is a positive for me because my GP PAPS Lux has plated contacts and I cannot use an abrasive polish on the contacts or else the plated metal will be removed. It also is a win-win too because you can steep juices and the cleaning process doesn't require you to hand clean all the parts. I do have a question though; would I still have to polish it after the ultrasonic cleaner to get that polished finished, or would it come out of the ultrasonic cleaner polished?

This was the ultrasonic cleaner I was interested in buying Amazon.com : Sonic Wave CD-2800 Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner : Audio & Video Cleaning & Repair Products : Electronics

reading through this and then looking at the various websites that sell it, I wonder why you would want to polish it?

People who have copper roofs and statues spend lots of money to get the patina that comes with oft handled or ancient copper.

But for the minimum effort, and for a non abrasive cleaner, try barkeepers friend

Bar Keepers Friend | Cleaning Products | Household Cleaning Supplies

get the dry powder version, add to a damp rag to make a paste, wipe on wait 5 minutes rinse off.

with some elbow grease, I recently used this stuff to clean some copper bottomed pots I was selling that were brown and black from age, they came out a beautiful bright gold color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread