Cleaning Clearos With PGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prolix

Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Minneapolis, MN, USA
As a newbie, I had just been rinsing my tanks with water and air drying. Read in another post how people were cleaning with Pure Grain Alcohol (PGA). Is there a consensus that PGA is the best substance to use for cleaning?

Is that also what I should clean my coil heads with?

I live in one of those states of the US where older puritanical standards still have some hold (e.g. liquor stores are closed on Sunday), so 190 proof PGA like Everclear isn't available in stores. Is using denatured alcohol alright as well, or is that ill-advised since some of the additives could be left in my tank? I can cross a state line and obtain Everclear easily enough, if needed.

Just Logan

May 18, 2013
United States
Some people swear by cleaning with it, I've seen some people just use vodka. Personally, I just use really hot water. I would start with water and if that doesn't do the trick then maybe just try vodka and if that's not enough just use everclear. None of it will hurt anything. As long as it's food safe your not going to do any real damage.

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Caldicote tunnel
There are different people and prefers different ways of doing so. I myself have never had the need to use anything other than rinse with hot water, dry burn and rinse and dry..... Now if the old taste persists it may require other means.

If you can't get rid of the old taste than it may be worth while. It may also be worth while to get extra coil heads and/or cleros for less than price of GAS?

Cheers.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I live in a dry county too, so yeah I get it. Guess what, plain old white vinegar and a 30 minute soak does just as well as vodka or everclear, use cider vinegar if that's what you have, just don't drain the pickle jar to clean your hardware with LOL. (and for love of us all, do NOT use the pickling liquid off pickled eggs - that sulfur smell comes out when you vape if you do. (me try that in a pinch for a cleaning agent - naw LOL.)

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I just use hot water and white vinegar (about 80/20) to soak, then rinse with hot water, dry burn then a final quick rinse and air dry. No aftertaste at all. After 3-4 cleanings with the original coil/wick, I rebuild the coil/wick... and start over. ;-)

Choc Addic has it sorted... coil heads are so cheap that unless you like to rebuild them for fun, just buy new ones.

BlueMoods... ya' got me! ;-)

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
For most as above I use warm water but I have a few juices that are really stubborn and hang around. For those I just use cheap (super cheap as in wouldn't drink it if you paid me to) vodka. I wouldn't use anything to clean it that isn't safe to drink....although come to think of it this cheap vodka I have may not be safe to drink lol.

dangkhoa02106

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
VIET NAM
You don't need to soak all the clearo in PGA, just rinse the body (the one that make by polycarbonate) and the metal base under warm water, just warm water do not use hot water because the hot water can damage the glue and release toxic chemical (some kind of clearomizer used glue to attach the metal base and polycarbonate body). Use PGA to soak your drip tip (I think this is most dirty spare part in e-cig) and the coil base (after a long period you should let the coil base soaked in PGA to remove the gunk).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread