Cleaning coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Are you swapping out due to flavor/trying another coil or because it's burnt?

There are differing answers to each question. Some folks just keep their coils if using a particular flavor in a little plastic baggie and write the flavor on it so they can use it again.

Similarly, if you want to try a different coil and the coil you have in your tank still has life, you don't necessarily "need" to clean it, though some people will soak it in distilled water or a bit of everclear, then rinse, so there isn't flavor "attached" to the coil. IDK if that would shorten your coil life or not.

If you are looking to clean and reuse and get a bit more life out of a coil, well, there are differing answers on that and various methods. Some folks don't clean and reuse coils and I did in the beginning (by rinsing thoroughly in hot water, soaking overnight, then rinsing again and thoroughly drying, by whatever method. I'm in AZ so it's low humidity and I just usually leave it overnight but some folks use blow dryers and whatnot.) I have heard various coil cleaning methods and I've also heard it's a bad practice as sometimes burnt cotton will remain in the coil. I have dissected a coil I cleaned and didn't find the plastic terrible. What I did find (and why I do not do it as much anymore) is that it's a bit unpredictable and I will sometimes get one day, or three, and it didn't seem as worthwhile to me as I can predict to a degree with my new coils when they are going to go bad, within reason.

Some coils are easier to rebuild than others and some folks do that. I DO save my spent coil heads ATM as who KNOWS what may happen, and I want to have the option to rebuild them if possible. It IS possible (and sometimes even easy) to rebuild certain coil manufacturer's coils, others are harder. However, if I ever cannot GET nautilus BVC coils (the ones I would be most likely to want to rebuild) then I will attack the matter THEN. I do feel like a bit of a hoarder over it, though....

I hope some of that answers the question you are asking, LOL.

Anna

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
If you're just trying different resistances and not using until the coil head is shot, saving the gently used one in a baggie works.

If the coil head isn't producing good flavor anymore, the wicking in it is probably clogged with goo. You can loosen and dissolve some of the funk with a thirty minute boil and air dry. The head won't be like new, but it will last a few more tankfuls before the flavor goes south again.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
If you're just trying different resistances and not using until the coil head is shot, saving the gently used one in a baggie works.

If the coil head isn't producing good flavor anymore, the wicking in it is probably clogged with goo. You can loosen and dissolve some of the funk with a thirty minute boil and air dry. The head won't be like new, but it will last a few more tankfuls before the flavor goes south again.

Perfect! Thanks
You could just vape half of tank of just either pg or vg to help clean out the coil of ejuice flavoring.

I have some unflavored tobacco juice would that work as well?

Thanks

Reactions: stols001

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
Not really sure I see the point.
If you're winding your own coils, what's the cost?
Maybe a quarter, if you include the wicking material?
I use the factory 0.4 ohm coils in my Aspire Cleito, and the last time I changed one was a couple of months ago.
No, I don't have money to burn, but even at $4 a pop, I'm still WAY ahead compared to what I used to spend on analogs.
Heck, even you added up everything I've spent on vaping for the last five years, it would STILL be a bargain.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread