Clearomizer maintenance questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CameraGuy

Aug 7, 2013
Maryland
Hi all,

I have a couple new clearos coming tomorrow (my first ones). One is an EVOD and the other a T3.

Is there anything special I should do before filling and vaping on them?

Should I clean them first?

What are the best methods of cleaning BCCs?

Is there a "break-in" procedure when using a brand new BCC (do they get "seasoned" like old beer steins? Lol)?

What other maintenance is needed (like new wicks, atomizers, etc)?

Thanks! (Sorry if this isn't in the right forum)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hi! :)

I would rinse any new clearomiser out before use.

Other than that, I fill them and leave them for 10 minutes or so and vape away. If you want to vape immediately on an evod, the most effective (but easier said than done) method is to take it apart, pull out the centre tube (and bung) and soak the wick with the flavour you are going to fill it with.
It's not normally necessary, but some juices don't wick that quick.

I rinse mine out every few fills, give them a shake and refill. Drying is kind of pointless unless you are worried about vaping a bit of steam....(water steam!). You can dry-burn the coil if it ever gets very gunky, but that also requires knowing how to dismantle the base system. Most of these work the same way and after a few goes, you can do whatever in 3 minutes, clean, dry-burn, rewick, replace...etc.

As for the T3. Keep it upright and keep it above 25% full. Don't store it on it's side in a case or bag etc.
I had 5 or 6 and lots of spares. I gave them all away as I couldn't stop it leaking. I lost a full 2.4ml of juice one day in 10 minutes. That one was stored upright too. :(

I am trialling the T3S right now. No leaks or anything as yet. Seems an improvement.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
Actually that Mt Baker deal looks better, if I am seeing it correct. It includes the base and a coil? Discount vapors you have to buy them separate.

Dicount Vapors does have the T3 in stock. MT3/s and T3/s are slightly different width. The MT3 is the T3 with a metal casing around it making it about 1mm wider. If you put a T3 base on an MT3 the base will be just slightly more narrow creating a slight indent where the tank and base meet, which to most is no big deal (including me, I have t3 base on an MT3 right now). Discount vapers T3 base.

Radar2013

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Indianapolis, IN, USA
On the EVODs before you take the first hit after filling I would let it sit for 3-5 mins. As for cleaning the EVODs: Take coil out of base and set in hot water. Not boiling water but pretty dag gum close. Let set in water for about 5-10 mins, take out of almost boil water and rinse thoroughly under running hot tap water (hot enough you can stand it with your hands. No coil is worth scalding yourself), set on paper towel and let dry for 24 hrs. As for the EVOD tank run under hot tap water thoroughly and let dry for 24 hrs.

Now I don't know much about the TS3. It seems to be the same design and set up as the CE4s and 5s. The way I cleaned my CE4s and 5s was take the tank apart and leave the Atomizer attached to the metal tube. Holding the base of the metal tube, hold it down at an angle and hold under hot running tap water to rinse the wick thoroughly. Then hold completely under running tap water to rinse down inside of the tube. Take atomizer off and set on paper towel to dry for 24 hrs. Take a pipe cleaner and insert into the bottom of metal tube. Turn tube on pipe cleaner. remove pipe cleaner and set tube on paper towel to dry for 24 hrs. Rinse plastic tube thoroughly under hot water. Set on paper towel and let dry for 24 hrs.

****NOTE**** DO NOT, under any circumstances, use Alcohol or Bleach on any clearo or EVODs whatsoever. Alcohol will compromise the plastic and every one of the silicone caps and O-rings. The Bleach taste will be impossible to get out of the plastic. A friend of mine tried both techniques and ruined $40.00 worth of EVODs and Clearos....

I would have extra Atomizers on hand so while the ones you have cleaned are drying you can use you back ups and just keep alternating them back and forth like that.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The T3 and T3S are bottom coils, the CEx are top coils. Different animals.

Actually, as long as the base is completely dry, a water damp wick is ok to use. You'll spend the first half dozen draws getting the water out, so the vape will be weak, but it won't hurt anything.

And if you're in a hurry, a hair dryer will speed up the drying of all the parts.

THETOTALLYCOOL

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Spanish Harlem
****NOTE**** DO NOT, under any circumstances, use Alcohol or Bleach on any clearo or EVODs whatsoever. Alcohol will compromise the plastic and every one of the silicone caps and O-rings. The Bleach taste will be impossible to get out of the plastic. A friend of mine tried both techniques and ruined $40.00 worth of EVODs and Clearos....

I soak my clearos in a diluted alcohol solution and I sometimes wipe the exteriors, mouthpieces with IPA.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I soak my clearos in a diluted alcohol solution and I sometimes wipe the exteriors, mouthpieces with IPA.

I don't use alcohol, but I can see the attraction.

There is a sad story on AAEC about a vaper who soaked a new tank in some sort of alcohol and it ruined it.

Not that I can really advise, but using alcohol to wipe or diluted alcohol to clean seems pretty logical. Soaking plastic stuff in full on heavy-duty alcohol seems less predictable.

sbc83

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Always wash/rinse them before use. You don't need to let them air dry for extended periods of time, just get a paper towel and dry em off (Dab the ends of the wick too).

I just cleaned/dry burned one of my Evod coils again last night. Ran it under warm water for 1 min, blotted it dry, removed top nipple, removed flavor wicks and db'd it for 1 minute. Two months old and it's still kickin'.

Last edited:

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
I soak in vodka in the UC for a few cycles. Cleans them right out. ( I buy the cheapest vodka I can find just for this). Afterwards rinse them well. Then I put the coils in a plastic container I have on my desk to dry. I probably have about 15-20 coil heads in rotation. The tanks just dry with a paper towel. If there's a little water left on the inside, it doesn't matter all that much.

FloydianSlip

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
The Astral Plane
I soak in vodka in the UC for a few cycles. Cleans them right out. ( I buy the cheapest vodka I can find just for this). Afterwards rinse them well. Then I put the coils in a plastic container I have on my desk to dry. I probably have about 15-20 coil heads in rotation. The tanks just dry with a paper towel. If there's a little water left on the inside, it doesn't matter all that much.

I do exactly this and it works great so far.

The only hard part is explaining to the check out lady at the store why I have an expensive bottle of 25 year old single malt and a jug of nasty cheap .... vodka in my basket.

"But the vodka is for cleaning my glassomizers! honest!"

I get some very odd looks from that woman. :p

Keep on vapin'! :vapor:

SAG

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
STL
I've used evods, T3, T3S, protanks, pro tank 2, mini protanks. All come with machining oil on them. I rinse in hot water, dip in everclear alcohol, rinse again, blow out/shake, dry with paper towel, fill. Take a vape a couple times without firing the battery. First couple draws are weak until any remaining water is gone. It's worked for me for a long time. Coils last 4-6 weeks with cleaning around once a week. No damage to rings, no leaking. Hope you love yours as much as I do. :)

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States

I do exactly this and it works great so far.

The only hard part is explaining to the check out lady at the store why I have an expensive bottle of 25 year old single malt and a jug of nasty cheap .... vodka in my basket.

"But the vodka is for cleaning my glassomizers! honest!"

I get some very odd looks from that woman. :p

Keep on vapin'! :vapor:

Hahahaha........I do the same thing with my T2's and planned on same with my recently purchased ProTanks and T3-S tanks. Last time we bought the Vodka, check-out guy said.... "You know you really should'nt be drinking this". It was like $1.50 bottle (small) .........smelled horrible but it cleaned great and then a good water rinse and we never had any residual alcohol smell or taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread