Clearomizer vs Cartomizers taste Whats the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfieferenzo84

Jan 27, 2014
ohio
Hi All so i been refilling my gs carts and when i do that they taste great so i bought a adapter and empty carts and filled them still taste great. SO i then bought a evod from kanger and i really don't care for the taste or vapor.

My question is whats the deal is it really a difference or is my setup just cheap and not that great? Should i buy a different clearomizer or a tank type setup or what do you all think?

i don't get why there is such a difference in taste. but now i found a few flavors i like and would like to save money by using ego vs expensive carts if possible

Anyone know why i don't like the clearomizer vs carts?

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
why not go for a carto tank?

I started with clearos but I'm 100% down with carto tanks now.

Honestly, you can get a little more life out of a evod/kanger head because they're easy to clean and soak if you want to switch up flavors, otherwise I don't find it a ton more expensive to use cartos.. I pay about 1.35 a piece when I buy 10 or more from IBTanked.

Maybe a small difference in the longrun, but worth it to me.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Some of us prefer carto's and carto tanks. I've been using Boge or Ikenvape carto's in tanks for quite some time. Until recently, there wasn't a clearo I liked and I had tried several.

The Evod was the first that showed promise. But, it started out horrible. I found out later that they need to be cleaned out first, so I was vaping some sort of machine residue. Ick. Maybe that's what happened with you?

The "topper" does make a difference in flavor. Some say the carto's mute the flavor a bit. This may be true, but there is still a somewhat silent group of us who prefer carto tanks.

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
I actually agree with you! I started with cartos & that was all I used. Out of recommendations from lots of people I have tried MANY clearos. The very 1st time I did I was disappointed, my favorite juice tasted totally different! I ended up so sick of filling cartos that I did eventually switch away from them all together. I just got used of the taste.

Its been suggested to me a cartotank too but I find alot of different options & I get lost. I actually just bought a 5 pack of cartomizers after not using them for about 7 months & they're good but I can't stand not seeing the juice level. I think taste depends on what clearo your using, the Aspires have awesome flavor & vapor production. I'm using the iclear 16s (both top & bottom coil) and they're not bad either.
I did purchase one clearo that had a horrible taste & no matter what I did nothing helped - luckily it was only $3!!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Carts Vs Clearos - go with what works for you.

Just be aware that the cartomiser brands often charge far more than necessary for the carts.

I have met Vapers who buy 10 carts at a time and top them up. It seems sensible until you discover they re paying $20 for $8 worth of cartomizers.

In the UK GS cartos are £10. You can buy 5 blanks for £5.

Makes sense to go fully independent in these cases.

revco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Missoula, MT
I have a mix and tend to lean towards the clearos myself, but mainly because they're cheaper to run and I like saving money! I find the carto tanks are probably a bit more flavorful much of the time, but to me, I don't notice a significant enough difference to justify the economics of it. Plus, the cartos don't lend themselves as well to quick and easy flavor changes. Maybe you had a bad coil? It happens sometimes right away and I would at least try another one to see for sure. Or maybe you just prefer cartos. Whatever works for you is what's important.

You shouldn't need a whole new kit. The replacement heads (if 510 or eGo) should fit your device, just make sure you're getting the right threading for your batteries.

At least for me and the pursuit of flavor, I'm planning on getting into RDA's/RBA's, but I've also found I like building coils. To hear people say it, the flavor reigns supreme there, but it's not for everyone. You need a basic knowledge of electronics, some specialized gear and have to want to get into something a little more difficult/manual than with a typical commercial system.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I used Boge cartos my first six months and stayed with them because back then I kept hearing that clearos muted flavor. Then I got an Eroll for out-and-about vaping. Just filling those little tanks spoiled me so I bought some Joye CCs I could use the same atomizers in. That's it... I was really spoiled then. Now my Boges sit in backup and I use my Joye CCs, EVODS, T3s minis and iSmoka minis daily. They're all a bit different from each other but I'm enjoying them and my ADV tastes good in them all. I wouldn't go back to filling cartos unless I had to and if my juice wasn't strong enough in a particular clearo, I would either change juices or clearos.

Aviz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
SF E. Bay , CA
It depends, but for less than $10 you can have an Evod (my fav) AND a smoktech XXL duo or a five pack of boge. so try it.

I been asking the same question for a few months now and still don't know. I tried a bunch of cartos and a bunch of clearos, not sure.
If you think about it its pretty much the same, its juice storage is in a sponge (cartos) versus a bottle (clearo), some have more wicks (iclear), less (evod) and some are almost hybrid (carto tanks and new aspire bdc).

Very good guide about it on the ECBlends site (I am NOT a fan of their ejuices but their guides and equipment are GREAT - (sorry ECBlend)) .
I cannot emphasize how important it is to have the right carto on your batt. if you put a low resistance dual coil on a small battery it Will fit and it Will KILL it.

So basically like the others said, GET AN EVOD, Some coils, And then compatible cartos - Boge is good, Smoktech, then see which ejuice works best for you in each.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Oh I forgot: obviously clearos require more work and sometimes leak or gargle, depnds on your maintenance - but they taste great. Cartos are fill and go (I use a $10 jewelry scale to know if mine is full).

I disagree. Cartos are what requires more work. You've got to fill and fill and fill, carry spares, make sure those are filled, and eventually you have to replace them which costs a lot more than replacing coils in a Clearo. They're almost impossible to clean one flavor out if you don't like it, and then there is the simple hassle of having to buy, fill, clean, and keep track of multiple cartos, often more than a dozen of them.

With a clearo you can fill it once a day and never touch it again. Once in a while you have to take off the top, remove the coil, and rinse them both off with warm water. I usually do this once a week and it takes less than 5 minutes. Other than that once a week cleaning all I have to do is remove the drip tip once a day and refill the tank with liquid, which takes less than 30 seconds. A coil lasts me around 2 months vaping 3ml per day, and replacing that takes no time at all as I do it while I perform my normal cleaning.

That said, cartos absolutely provide better flavor. The reason for this is because they vape at cooler temperatures by using a longer heating element that runs through the center of the carto. More liquid can touch the heating element at once, which means more vapor is produced at lower temperatures. The hotter the temperature the more of the flavor is burned off. Any Clearo user with a top-wick coil and a variable voltage battery can tell you that a real hot vape is almost flavorless.

Clearos tend to mute the flavor for that reason. The point where the juice is converted to vapor is much smaller so it has to be hotter to produce the same amount of vapor. The added temperature causes some of the flavoring to be broken down and burned off. With VV reducing the voltage increases the flavor, but reduces the amount of vapor.

That's why a lot of people now prefer bottom coil tanks, they allow more liquid to flow to the heating element at once which allows them to produce just as much vapor as a top wick clearo at a lower temperature, which provides a cooler vape and more flavor.

Cartotanks are the best, and worst of both worlds. All of the flavor of a Carto plus all of the holding capacity of a Clearo. Unfortunately, all of the hassle of cleaning a Carto and a Clearo at the same time, far more difficult to quickly change flavors, and more costly to maintain as well. Plus they have a tendency to leak more than a regular clearo.

Last edited:

FourWinds

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
UK
I disagree. Cartos are what requires more work. You've got to fill and fill and fill, carry spares, make sure those are filled, and eventually you have to replace them which costs a lot more than replacing coils in a Clearo. They're almost impossible to clean one flavor out if you don't like it, and then there is the simple hassle of having to buy, fill, clean, and keep track of multiple cartos, often more than a dozen of them.

With a clearo you can fill it once a day and never touch it again. Once in a while you have to take off the top, remove the coil, and rinse them both off with warm water. I usually do this once a week and it takes less than 5 minutes. Other than that once a week cleaning all I have to do is remove the drip tip once a day and refill the tank with liquid, which takes less than 30 seconds. A coil lasts me around 2 months vaping 3ml per day, and replacing that takes no time at all as I do it while I perform my normal cleaning.

That said, cartos absolutely provide better flavor. The reason for this is because they vape at cooler temperatures by using a longer heating element that runs through the center of the carto. More liquid can touch the heating element at once, which means more vapor is produced at lower temperatures. The hotter the temperature the more of the flavor is burned off. Any Clearo user with a top-wick coil and a variable voltage battery can tell you that a real hot vape is almost flavorless.

Clearos tend to mute the flavor for that reason. The point where the juice is converted to vapor is much smaller so it has to be hotter to produce the same amount of vapor. The added temperature causes some of the flavoring to be broken down and burned off. With VV reducing the voltage increases the flavor, but reduces the amount of vapor.

That's why a lot of people now prefer bottom coil tanks, they allow more liquid to flow to the heating element at once which allows them to produce just as much vapor as a top wick clearo at a lower temperature, which provides a cooler vape and more flavor.

Cartotanks are the best, and worst of both worlds. All of the flavor of a Carto plus all of the holding capacity of a Clearo. Unfortunately, all of the hassle of cleaning a Carto and a Clearo at the same time, far more difficult to quickly change flavors, and more costly to maintain as well. Plus they have a tendency to leak more than a regular clearo.

The lower temperature of a carto's vapor, and the other types you mention, is an important factor to me; I don't want too much heat on my gums or throat and lungs. This is a factor I had not considered, and thanks for mentioning it. I think I will wait until I have a device that enables me to set the power output to the element before I move on from cartos.

Red Horn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2014
High Desert, CA
The Evod was the first that showed promise. But, it started out horrible. I found out later that they need to be cleaned out first, so I was vaping some sort of machine residue. Ick.
What is the proper way to clean? I have a EVOD kit in route and want my new experience to be as good as possible from the start.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY

I think carto tanks leak a lot less then the clearos I've dealt with actually. I use Cirrus and IBTanked tanks though, so perhaps it's the quality of the tank? I do have a couple of cheap Boge carto tanks, but they only leak when they slide off the carto, which happens a lot with those so I avoid using them. I ind the taste of cartos to be much better then any clearo. Also, once primed, the cartos last longer in the tank then a coil does before flavor degrades. I just fill the tanks as needed, and some of my cartos have lasted weeks before needing to be swapped out. Priming is a pain the you know what though. I never try cleaning out cartos. I toss them. For a dollar, I'm not bothering. I smoked around a pack and a half a day, and those packs are $12 to $14 each here in NYC. I'm supplying three people with their vape gear and liquids including myself, and I'm still saving money. It's crazy how much my husband and I used to waste on smokes. He smoked around a pack and a half a day as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread