Status
Not open for further replies.

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
cant think of any saftey issues. its a metal tube with two pieced of metal that make contact with a battery. Dont think their is much to go wrong there. Quality issues is different and I find the nemesis switch to be crap

as long as you use the right batteries and build with a multimeter to check for shorts their wont be a issue

Feraloxide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2014
Buffalo, NY, USA
Hi ,

Since my country might be going to ban vaping , I started thinking about buying a mech , yet I'm a bit concerned with the safety issue with mechs especially clones.

Do you feel safe enough with yours ? I'm considering a nemesis clone from fasttech

There aren't any safety issues with the devices themselves. The safety issues lie within the batteries, and the reason you sometimes hear about battery venting is because people push their batteries too far. I fully encourage you to get yourself one, as well as some type of RDA. I recently got into it myself and I gotta say it blows anything I've ever tried out of the water.

I'll give you a crash course in battery safety. Every battery has an amp draw limit, which generally increases with the size and capacity of the battery. If you have a red 2000 mah Efest 18650, it has a 15 amp limit.

Using ohm's law, you can calculate that the safest resistance you can go to is .4 ohms without going over the amp limit. As long as you stay within the amp limit you'll be fine, just don't be doing crazy things like .2 ohm coils. Here are some links/sources.

Battery mAh & C Rating = amp Calculator
http://ohmslawcalculator.com/

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
The only safety concerns I can see with mechs clones or authentic are the following (not including battery safety)
1. Hybrid connectors: direct connection between your topper and the battery..you need to make sure your 510 pin is hitting the battery and battery does not hit metal on top cap
2. Firing button, lot of mods tend to use cheap springs...it can collapse under intense use (super sub-ohm). So if there is magnet option or really good quality spring...definitely upgrade to it.
3. bad threading on tubes, firing connector..can auto fire, if you hit the wrong way..button can get stuck and continuously to fire
4. Lazyitiness....it's disease among few mech mod users...they treat them like regulated device and not clean them properly...washing the tubes, drying them, adjusting the firing ping, cleaning the contacts etc is necessary....

I heard that Fasttech SS Nemesis is very high quality one, the one that goes for 21.00 shipped. There quite a few upgrades you can get for them, extended firing pins, copper rice pin (connector part), and magnets switch upgrade.

Battery safety knowledge is given and should known first before even thinking about mech..if not..get fuse type device like Kick 2 or Siegeli Kick

GL, and happy vaping

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    There is a learning curve to using mechanicals safely, and you have a choice. You can learn the hard way, or you can learn the safe way.
    The key is understanding that YOU are the safety feature of a mechanical mod.

So;
    Do you know how to care for a mod?
    Do you know about battery chemistry?
    Do you know about safe charging practises?
    Do you know about the proper care and use of toppers?

And, the question I love to ask: do you know how the Nemesis is vented? Do you know how the vent works, or why it works?

Last edited:

rzil

May 6, 2014
    Israel
    Thx guys , I'm going away for the weekend so I'll do some reading next week and see what best fit .

To be honest , I don't really need to go for mechs but it seems that sooner or later my ministry of health will leave me no choice and I'll have to take care of myself before they'll take the 1 thing that really helped me quit smoking.

I've already bought some DIY stuff for liquid and I'm planning to educate myself about some more advanced vaping tricks

Feraloxide

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 14, 2014
    Buffalo, NY, USA

anumber1

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2014
    NW Ohio
    Status
    Not open for further replies.