Clone of a Clone? CANA 30W box

Status
Not open for further replies.

themyst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2009
Whitestone, NY
Does anyone have experience with the clone of a clone? There are vendors currently selling Cloupor CANA mods which aren't "genuine" Cloupor mods. They come in a white box with a regular black microUSB cable instead of the retractable.

I know there are plenty of other clones from fasttech et al that are quite good, but I am zeroing in on a very specific clone of a clone because I bought one by accident.

I can't find any information on the site regarding specs or technical information regarding this mod over the Cloupor. All I saw was a previous thread where two users say "they like it" without any facts or information.

At least the Cloupor resembles a genuine Hana DNA30 in performance and there are plenty of reviews confirming.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
Despite their quirks Cloupors are generally a better product than the hotcig(fastech et al)versions, and as that had become common knowledge Cloupors name is kind of a selling point.

Cloupors aren't as accurate at metering or output as genuine DNA boards. The fun part is it seems to vary from individual board to board. For the most part they are close enough IMO. The hotcigs tend to be even more all over the place.

Personally, I'm sticking with Yihi or Evolv.

Last edited:

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
After using two of my friends FT models (the latest v3 ) i would take one of those over Cloupor any day of the week , the Cloupor's are so inconsistent and more have died for no apparent reason or fire on their own for no apparent reason than any other i'm aware of . Most won't touch Cloupor anymore because of their bad rep .

You want to see all the issues check out Retird's postings about it , i have a Cloupor and and while it works it's all over the place , turns on and off all the time by itself even when not around any electronics .

By doing so it eats battery life like crazy , it also doesn't come with nearly as good of a warranty . The only good thing about the Cloupor is the enclosure , the chip is definitely no better than any other clone but thats to be expected , Cloupor had zero experience in building chips before this mod.

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
I believe mine is the same as the OP's (same packaging)...it's not a Clouper or FT. The place I bought from had it listed as a Clouper.

That said, to answer the OP's question, it seems to be a decent mod. Ohms match my DMM which isn't a cheapo Harbor Freight. It has never done the random wake-up or any of the other weird glitches some are prone to. I did have issues with the connector after a couple weeks but replaced it with a Varitube 22mm spring loaded one.

themyst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2009
Whitestone, NY
I think the bad rap Cloupor CANA's got were from the V1 and V2 models; it appears they fixed the self-firing and ohm inconsistency on the latest V3's.

I'll have a Cloupor and this off-beat clone to test, so I'll report back to how they output. I just wish I knew who made this specific clone, but no dice.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
My V2 was actually more accurate than my V3. Had an awesome glitch early on where the screen disappeared for a day then came back , never happened again. Then after about 6weeks of use it shorted itself and died.
I've had the v3 for a while now, and it is slightly optimistic In ohms readings but outside of that it is fine, however it doesn't get used anywhere near as much as my IPV2.

themyst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2009
Whitestone, NY
Ok, so I tested both (I don't have a multimeter or any specialized equipment) along with my MVP2.

All three are reporting this Kanger dual coil of mine as 1.5 (it's really a 1.5). In terms of what the units are outputting, the "genuine" Cloupor outputs at 3.7v @ 9 watts and the bootleg mod outputs at 3.8v at 9 watts. Both are on VTC4s.

The bootleg has a small hole for the charging LED to shine thorough, whereas the Cloupor does not. The buttons on the Cloupor are a bit more tactile compared to the bootleg, but they both seem solid. The Cloupor does not have a splash screen when woken from sleep, whereas the bootleg shows an Evolv splash.

Nothing really noticeable in terms of performance. The only reason I prefer this Cloupor V3 mod over the bootleg is you don't have a 3-4 second delay when the unit gets woken from sleep. That was kind of annoying since I never fully shut off my mods. Other than that, they both appear to perform similarly. When I get these 0.8ohm kanger dual coils in, I'll give it a toot on both to see how both units handle higher loads.

Last edited:

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Ok, so I tested both (I don't have a multimeter or any specialized equipment) along with my MVP2.

All three are reporting this Kanger dual coil of mine as 1.5 (it's really a 1.5). In terms of what the units are outputting, the "genuine" Cloupor outputs at 3.7v @ 9 watts and the bootleg mod outputs at 3.8v at 9 watts. Both are on VTC4s.

The bootleg has a small hole for the charging LED to shine thorough, whereas the Cloupor does not. The buttons on the Cloupor are a bit more tactile compared to the bootleg, but they both seem solid. The Cloupor does not have a splash screen when woken from sleep, whereas the bootleg shows an Evolv splash.

Nothing really noticeable in terms of performance. The only reason I prefer this Cloupor V3 mod over the bootleg is you don't have a 3-4 second delay when the unit gets woken from sleep. That was kind of annoying since I never fully shut off my mods. Other than that, they both appear to perform similarly. When I get these 0.8ohm kanger dual coils in, I'll give it a toot on both to see how both units handle higher loads.

Thats odd about the 3 to 4 second wait time before firing , the new ones my friends have fire immediately with one click , if you rarely turn off your mods the Cloupor would be my choice.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
My V2 was actually more accurate than my V3. Had an awesome glitch early on where the screen disappeared for a day then came back , never happened again. Then after about 6weeks of use it shorted itself and died.
I've had the v3 for a while now, and it is slightly optimistic In ohms readings but outside of that it is fine, however it doesn't get used anywhere near as much as my IPV2.

I have a Cloupor V2 and V3 chip in another device and I quite like both .. the V3 a little more because it fires out of sleep mode. My Cloupor V2 box reads very accurately. Where my ohm/voltage meter reads 1.14, the Cloupor reads 1.1 .. Based on my own experience, I like Cloupor :)

themyst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2009
Whitestone, NY
Thats odd about the 3 to 4 second wait time before firing , the new ones my friends have fire immediately with one click , if you rarely turn off your mods the Cloupor would be my choice.

Yeah, it's the bootleg that does this, not the Cloupor. Cloupor fires right away, which alone makes it a superior device for me.,.

themyst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2009
Whitestone, NY
I have a Cloupor V2 and V3 chip in another device and I quite like both .. the V3 a little more because it fires out of sleep mode. My Cloupor V2 box reads very accurately. Where my ohm/voltage meter reads 1.14, the Cloupor reads 1.1 .. Based on my own experience, I like Cloupor :)

How much and where did you get a Cloupor chip? I have a older dead plastic box mod I wouldn't mind experimenting with.

themyst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2009
Whitestone, NY
So you set 9w for a 1.5ohm coil?
That won't be regulated (obviously will fire)

Hmm cranked it to 15 watts on the same 1.5 ohm dual coil, and I was getting 4.8v on the Cloupor, 4.9v on the other. Oddly, no burning at that wattage that I was accustomed to on the MVP2. Massive head rush yes, burning no.

And I should have RTFM; when the ohms reading is blinking on the screen it's not regulating.. even at 12 watts it wasn't regulating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread