Clone: Private 2 (Grand Vapor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJMcMahon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Boise, ID, USA
Picked up one of these from a B&M locally and the build quality seems good, although I'm not well versed in the Mechanical world yet. The only criticism I have at this point is with the locking ring and the fire button. It seems as if it's possible to unintentionally lengthen the throw of the fire button when tightening the threads with a battery inserted. When this happens, the fire button extends to a point where you cannot lock it out. I'm wondering whether you couldn't add some loctite to the threads on the fire button to prevent it from moving? Alternatively, tightening the locking ring during adjustments to the tube length appears to resolve the issue as well.

Apologies if my terminology is incorrect...I'm still a mech n00b ;-)

Last edited:

MJMcMahon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Boise, ID, USA
Unfortunately, my Private seems to have been Killed In Action. I attempted to address the throw length and untwisting issue by applying loc-tite to the fire button threads and screwed up the job. Now I can't get it back apart and the two parts have gotten chewed up from using pliers to try and separate them.

Sad panda :(

henbone11

Verified Member
Feb 4, 2011
Indy
tot31, where did you get the silver plated pins?

I got the m16 clone yesterday and am overall pretty happy with it. I was really disappointed to learn that it was aluminum after I pre-ordered it. It was originally listed as stainless steel and brass on vaportekusa so it was a no brainer to pull the trigger. Pulling it out of the packaging (and the cheap hard "velvet" bag) I thought it had decent weight, although still pretty light. After inspecting all of the threading I tossed a battery in it and an aga-t2 on it and it fired right up. I have been using it non-stop for about 24 hours and it has yet to misfire.

Voltage drop is pretty good out of the box. I have several Sigelei's that are horrible for voltage drop even after modifying them. On this, I tested with fully charged Efest IMR 18650 and Orbtronic NCR18650PD 18650 batteries. Both measured 4.20v by themselves. I added a RSST @ .8ohms and an AGA-T2 @ 1ohm and both measured at 3.87v. Pretty good imo, at least compared to the Sigelei's. Hopefully, I can pick up some of the silver plated pins that tot31 mentioned.

The switch. Well, the switch, in and of itself seems pretty good. The problem, as stated previously, is that it is a train wreck waiting to happen. I was playing the lock back and forth after adding some Noalox and the button simply fell off and the spring went flying. Taking the switch apart was on the to-do list, but I hadn't planned on doing it so soon. Assembly is quite easy, but the fact that it can also easily come apart is a point of concern to me. If it disassembles in my pocket, i'm fine with that, but if it disassembles while i'm out and about and I don't realize it, then im simply out a mod. I have never been hands on with this original mod, so I don't know if this possible with that as well, but this seems like a pretty big design flaw. I now find myself constantly paranoid about the switch and screwing it back in all the time whether it needs it or not.

The 510 connector also seems slightly wider than any other that i've used. When screwing anything into it, stuff just wobbles around until fully seated. I can also see cross threading becoming an issue if you aren't pretty careful with it. Once fully seated though everything is tight and solid.

All-in-all I think it's pretty solid. I get no rattles of any kind and on squeaks on the threading after adding Noalox. Even in 18650 mode it seems pretty small in my hands. I like it though and now have no regrets on buying it. It will be my daily driver until I can pick up something i've had my eyes on for a while in about a month.

tot31

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2013
Malaysia
O picked up locally here in my country for arounf USD10 for the kit. I bought 2 sets, one is for my Sentibel full brass. AGter a few days I bought them, there is another seller selling the silver plated pins kiy for USD5 amd the top firing pin is adjustable..I might gettinf that to make spare part...jere is the utube video of the silver palted pins

Sentinel clone silver pin assembly - YouTube

the4thpower3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2010
Northern Virginia
I guess I should have waited to buy mine from FastTech.
I got duped as well, thinking they were going to be stainless steel as it was originally listed on VaporTek.
So I got home from vacation and these were waiting for me :)
I still like them in aluminum. Although the concerns for damaged threads, scratches/scuffs etc are reasons I usually stay away from aluminum devices (of course now I own 4)...I guess I'll need to be a bit more careful with them.

So the Sentinel V3 clones I bought from VaporBreak were made by H-Cigar.
The M16 and Private V2 clones I ordered from VapotTekUsa don't seem to be made by H-Cigar: different packaging, different "satin" bags, threading is different, o-rings different, and the center pin is different. The SV3s have an H-cigar logo on the inside top of the button pin - the M16 and PV2 do not. The M16 and PV2 have GV logos on the tubes and the button (with a serial #). The logos are lightly etched on. The SV3 tubes are NOT interchangeable with the M16 since they are different threads. The PV2 ends (top cap and bottom cap) are press fitted onto the inner tube ends and cannot be removed.

I noticed the center positive pin on these ARE floating pins - they are just very tight inside the delrin. I pushed mine out and used a round file and lightly opened up the hole just enough for the pin to slide = float.

Sorry - Ifony pic.
grandvapor.jpg

If anyone wants more pics of anything specific let me know, I can take some more (although my "real" camera isn't much better than my iphone :oops:)

blowingclouds

Apr 16, 2013
L.A.
I guess I should have waited to buy mine from FastTech.
I got duped as well, thinking they were going to be stainless steel as it was originally listed on VaporTek.
So I got home from vacation and these were waiting for me :)
I still like them in aluminum. Although the concerns for damaged threads, scratches/scuffs etc are reasons I usually stay away from aluminum devices (of course now I own 4)...I guess I'll need to be a bit more careful with them.

So the Sentinel V3 clones I bought from VaporBreak were made by H-Cigar.
The M16 and Private V2 clones I ordered from VapotTekUsa don't seem to be made by H-Cigar: different packaging, different "satin" bags, threading is different, o-rings different, and the center pin is different. The SV3s have an H-cigar logo on the inside top of the button pin - the M16 and PV2 do not. The M16 and PV2 have GV logos on the tubes and the button (with a serial #). The logos are lightly etched on. The SV3 tubes are NOT interchangeable with the M16 since they are different threads. The PV2 ends (top cap and bottom cap) are press fitted onto the inner tube ends and cannot be removed.

I noticed the center positive pin on these ARE floating pins - they are just very tight inside the delrin. I pushed mine out and used a round file and lightly opened up the hole just enough for the pin to slide = float.

Sorry - Ifony pic.
grandvapor.jpg

If anyone wants more pics of anything specific let me know, I can take some more (although my "real" camera isn't much better than my iphone :oops:)

I ordered a PV2 just want to know how does it perform as far as voltage drop if you can test it out thanks. That sucks that the top cap isnt removable how about the firing button on it?Does it come lose like v3?

the4thpower3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2010
Northern Virginia
I ordered a PV2 just want to know how does it perform as far as voltage drop if you can test it out thanks. That sucks that the top cap isnt removable how about the firing button on it?Does it come lose like v3?

I'm not really sure I understand or agree with "voltage drop" testing on devices.

The bottom cap is not removable either - actually the bottom is one piece brass. Only the top cap is press fitted.
You can take still the switch apart (albeit - you gotta stick your finger down the tube); but you can't swap out the entire switch.

Oh, I forgot to mention - the M16 and PV2 have Reverse threaded lock rings. Unlike the Sentinel V3 that I got which are standard thread.

On another note I noticed the FastTech pics of the Sentinel V3 don't have the H-Cigar logo or Sentinel logo like mine do (I don't see any other obvious differences from the FT pics and mine) - not sure if manufacturer is different and if so - the threads may be different.
So many different china e-cig manufactures it's hard to tell where they are coming from or produced.

Here's a pic of the switch apart.
pv2.jpg

Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
anyone have a pick of the new flat top KTS? I keep hearing its chrome plated SS or chrome over brass? Is the chrome built tough, or will it wind up rubbing off after a month of continuous use? Ive never owned a chromed mod or accessory before because I've always been afraid of the chroming rubbing or chipping off. Or I've been worried the chrome would look tacky. Does the chrome or "gold" look tacky or fake?

psycho bishop

Verified Member
Aug 4, 2013
Wichita, KS.
Im looking to get a new mech thats a lil nicer looking then the k100 i currently have and was thinking about getting the private v2 clone from vaportek is it worth it? Sorry still a lil new to this and from reading thru this it seems like some of the pros/cons vary alot.

Is the aluminum really that weak that you should honestly try to never change out what you have on it etc..... how does the brass /aluminum hold up together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread