Closed - Limit reached All NEW!! Weekly GotVapes Ultimate Contest Prize Giveaway & Chit Chat Hangout Thread, Come Hangout and Have Fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CcaT

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2012
Washington State
1896915_10152404399927868_552823174_n.jpg

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
Mississippi Just Outside Of NOLA
You are correct that you can get pop-ups without being infected... but they will likely be relatively few on certain sites here and there. If on the other hand you are getting them on most websites, then it is likely not the website serving them up but something installed on the computer. For instance... visiting ECF won't have a pop-up unless you happened to get a PM notice or similar.

I ran malwarebytes and he had over 1000 trojans/spyware...etc.
It will be infected again by the end of the day:)

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I use the free Avast stops all of that

Actually not... I'm not saying Avast isn't good... it ( as with most antivirus programs ) isn't made to detect this type of infection simply because many of these types of infections are classified subjectively. In fact, Malwarebytes Antimalware, which is great at the tougher spywares, still passes by a lot of the lesser ones. I use a combination of them in order to clear out most of them but only after I've manually removed what I can find by hand first.

CalamityJan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
TX
I ran malwarebytes and he had over 1000 trojans/spyware...etc.
It will be infected again by the end of the day:)

I'd try a couple of Ccleaner run-thru's also, Krusty. Does he have a firewall on either the 'puter or router? I put Comodo free firewall on DD and DGD's computers 'cause they have a way of clickin' into bad stuff all the time. :facepalm:

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
CCleaner is a great util and I do use it before and after removing malware but it isn't protection software and doesn't detect anything... it cleans out temp file locations and can find invalid registry entries... it's a standard regular maintenance software. I also recommend firewalls but they don't protect from stuff already installed so much in most cases... For example if you give Internet Explorer or Chrome etc permission to access the internet... then any add-ons or extensions that are installed into IE or Chrome also get permission automatically.

In fact... current types of protection software is inadequate for the simple reason that they work by using a "blacklist" of known malware and known malicious actions... they can't detect or protect against the unknowns which is how most systems are now infected.

What needs to happen is a shift in the direction we take to protect our systems... it needs done on the OS level ( and user level also ). We need to switch to using "whitelists" with a defined set of permissions ( allowed actions ) instead... it is easier to define known good software than to guess at an unknown that may come out at anytime. The OS should not allow any software what so ever to run if it isn't on an allowed whitelist. The OS should also let the user add allowed programs onto the whitelist so new unknown ( or little known ) programs won't be blocked.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I don't get upset about many things but I HATE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME. I just can't see where it is necessary to have to readjust our inner time clocks twice a year. :facepalm:

Now back to our regularly scheduled conversations :D
When it was 6 months on and 6 months off, I could almost understand it. Now that it is 8 months on and 4 off, it makes less than no sense. Why not just go on DST and stay there?

oldbikeguy

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    When it was 6 months on and 6 months off, I could almost understand it. Now that it is 8 months on and 4 off, it makes less than no sense. Why not just go on DST and stay there?

a few places never did it at all,talk about messing a guy up:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread