Cloud Chasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranic85

Moved On
Sep 12, 2013
Earth
I have been delving into the world of sub-ohm lately. I have to say, it is so much fun! I am currently running my Nimbus on a dual coil .3ohm. Using my Magneto or Legacy mod. Running MNKE 18650 1500mah 20 amp batteries. I made a .2ohm coil, but quickly got rid of that because the batteries started to get a little too warm for my liking.

I am currently using .28 gauge Kanthal. I have been pondering the idea of getting .26 or .24 gauge kanthal. I am not sure if that will increase the vapor production or not. I am getting huge clouds of dense heavy vapor as it is. I just cant stop. I want MORE POWER as Tim Taylor would say. oh oh oh!:evil: Only downside is my clearomizers just aren't cutting it anymore.

Ranic85

Moved On
Sep 12, 2013
Earth
20131009_173516.jpg

4 Wrap 28 Gauge

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am currently running my Nimbus on a dual coil .3ohm. Using my Magneto or Legacy Mod. Running MNKE 18650 1500mah 20 amp batteries. I made a .2ohm coil, but quickly got rid of that because the batteries started to get a little too warm for my liking.

I have to say, it is so much fun!
I can understand why your MNKE's were getting hot. That 0.2 ohm was pulling 21 amps from a battery rated at 20 amps continuous discharge rate and pulling over 88 watts of power.

Were you crazy or do you have a death wish? :blink: We'll see how much fun you are having when we visit you in the hospital and thank you for all the negative media attention you gave vapors for your prank.

Last edited:

Ranic85

Moved On
Sep 12, 2013
Earth
Brand Name: MNKE
Size: 18650
Model: MNKE18650A
Type: Li-Mn (High Drain)
Rated Capacity: 1500mAh
Nominal Voltage: 3.8V
Peak Voltage: 4.2V
Dimensions: 18.3mmX65mm
Rechargable: Yes
Protected: No
Chemistry: Lithium manganese Dioxide (Li-Mn02)
Style: Flat Top
Color: Orange

Additional Specifications:

Rated Capacity 1500 mAh
Maximum Continuous Discharging Current 20 A
Maximum pulse Discharging Current 60 A
Maximum Continuous Charging Current 6.5 A
Nominal Voltage 3.8 V
Maximum Charge Voltage 4.2±0.05 V
Temperature Range/Discharge -20~60degree
Temperature Range/Charge 0~45degree
Temperature Range/Storage -20~35 degree
Internal Resistance at Shipping 23±1 mΩ
Weight 40.5±1 g

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
batteries are rated for 60 amp burst. They weren't hot just warm. .3 Ohms is the sweet spot for these batteries, they don't even get warm. Thank you though for the hospital comment. I will be looking forward to seeing your flowers arrive! :)

The point is: Why risk it by going over the continuous drain amp rating, when you can buy a battery that meets that need with a little buffer space. Sure, it may never blow, but the risk is higher. There's no reason to push a 20amp cell, when you can buy a 24 amp cell, that is regarded as top notch: the AW 18650 1600mah. Nothing wrong with pushing 21 amps. But why not take the effort to be that little bit safer?

Ranic85

Moved On
Sep 12, 2013
Earth
I used it at .2 ohm for only a couple puffs, then rebuilt it. I wasn't aiming for .2 ohms. It just happened. I rebuild these things every day out of boredom. I just rebuilt the nimbus again an hour ago. Smaller diameter coil, 5 wraps this time. Came in at .4ohms. I am sure I will rebuild it again tomorrow too. I keep myself under the 20 amp limit on these batteries. Hence why I tore it apart when it came to .2 ohms.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ranic, you vape closer to the edge than I like to, but you seem to know what you are doing. If I were you I would invest in some Sony us18650vct3's. I have a couple and they are great, though I don't get close to their max continuous discharge rating where they really shine. They do hang in for longer at less voltage drop than my MNKEs though. And they are not losing performance over the month I've had them either. A few more months will tell if they are really that good.

Vape safe :thumb:

Ranic85

Moved On
Sep 12, 2013
Earth
Ranic, you vape closer to the edge than I like to, but you seem to know what you are doing. If I were you I would invest in some Sony us18650vct3's. I have a couple and they are great, though I don't get close to their max continuous discharge rating where they really shine. They do hang in for longer at less voltage drop than my MNKEs though. And they are not losing performance over the month I've had them either. A few more months will tell if they are really that good.

Vape safe :thumb:

Thank you Ryedan. I am looking into some 30 amp batteries. I am trying to be safe. I am not being stupid. I just am cloud chasing and thought I would try to "rock the boat" as it were. I have no intention of blowing my face off. I have a multi-meter. I know about shorts, and about my batteries. I just was doing this to see how many "anti-sub-ohm zealots" I could get out of the wood working.

Ranic85

Moved On
Sep 12, 2013
Earth
So you're trolling.... cool.

Yes I am kiss my big white booty. :)
I deliver goods all over the United States. Most people hate truckers. Might as well give them another reason to hate me. However, if you ever see an 80,000lb semi heading right at you, and you cut me off. I might not be able to stop in time. You might die from a freightliner!

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
MNKE batteries are great, but all it takes is one bad cell, one bad replacement battery you push just a little bit too hard...

Then what?

Everything we've been trying to get done as far as legislation goes to hell, one bad incident is all it takes. I sub-ohm I'm no zealot anti, but I don't go ANYWHERE near my battery limits. If my limits are 20 amps I make it a point not to go over 12. Paranoid? Maybe, but my life is worth more than a cheap thrill. And the bad publicity will take years for people to forget.

For the record 3.7v @ 0.2ohms = 68.4w - 18.5 amp draw - If the battery was fresh off the charger you'd barely be at 21 amps and at that level that battery wouldn't stay at 4.1-4.2v very long.

You batteries were complaining long before you hit your 20 amp mark.

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Yes I am kiss my big white booty. :)
I deliver goods all over the United States. Most people hate truckers. Might as well give them another reason to hate me. However, if you ever see an 80,000lb semi heading right at you, and you cut me off. I might not be able to stop in time. You might die from a freightliner!

Trolling is prohibited on ECF. This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread