Cloudy juice help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hey guys I really need some help. I made a mix today of Pink Lemonade 80vg/20pg and the juice came out really cloudy! When It’s in my tank it starts to separate in to two layers. The flavouring is pg based and I used nicotine that’s vg based but I’m not sure if that’s what caused it. Any info would really help as the flavouring is amazing, I’m just unsure if it’s safe to vape or not.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Agree with @Capt.shay 's comment among some others.
The statement: "it start to separate in to two layers" has me a bit puzzled. Might want to see if it remains in two layers after 24 hours (shaking/aging). This would tell me you may have an oil in there.
If the mix stays cloudy longer than 24 hours and is homogeneous, this mix may be ok as capt.shay all ready stated.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I had a few cloudy mixes during my early efforts of DIYing. After reading @ItTechy's post (see below), and following the directions, I have never had another occurrence. Now I simply mix in the following order:
1. Add flavor concentrates (PG-based)
2. Add PG
3. Mix
4. Add VG-based nic concentrate
5. Add VG
6. Mix again
Done

Perhaps someone else may find it helpful as well.:D
Okay ....

Without looking at all the flavors and what not...

Basic chemistry 101

Water and oil don't mix...:blink:

No there's no "oil " per say but here is a trick that can be applied to any compounding:

This can happen to any e-liquid you make when one of the components does not mix with the others.
Most if not all flavors will mix properly with PG, but not with VG, so here is what you do:

Mix all ingredients less you VG and thoroughly mix, 99% of the time there will be no issues, then add your VG last. If your NIC is VG based this applies too, do not add it until after you have combined all the other ingredients.

The problem occurs from the water in the VG and certain components that naturally will not combine together. like gasoline and water! If you add alcohol into the gasoline, it will bond with the water and make what's called a soluble solution and now the water will mix with the gasoline!

Likewise in e-liquids the same principal applies; you can also mix all components and figure in about 3-5% PGA which will help the ingredients to mix, then lastly add your VG', TADA!

No Clouds or mixture separation! (emphasis mine; IDJoel) :thumb:
:toast:
(LINK to original quote for context)

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I had a few cloudy mixes during my early efforts of DIYing. After reading @ItTechy's post (see below), and following the directions, I have never had another occurrence. Now I simply mix in the following order:
1. Add flavor concentrates (PG-based)
2. Add PG
3. Mix
4. Add VG-based nic concentrate
5. Add VG
6. Mix again
Done

Perhaps someone else may find it helpful as well.:D

(LINK to original quote for context)
Thank you and @ItTechy for confirming what I was saying and 'specially ItTechy for explaining the reason why it happens.

edited to add: I just followed the link to the original post and realized it was ItTechy's reply to my plea as to why I was getting the cloudy mixes :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread