Cloupor T5 firmware update was a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinOwens

Mar 31, 2014
Ashland
To my understanding everyone who did the firmware update either fried their mod or made it un- usable until a fix is rolled out. The new firmware increased the watts to 75 from 50 and allowed you to vape on pass thru charging and gave a 55 percent increase in battery life. It also addressed a few other minor bugs. At least that was what it was supposed to do. Many new T5 owners now have a paper weight.

Cloupor T5, Aspire nautilus, Starship 1 by Space Jam

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
Everyone I have seen post about this says their mod is now fried. That really sucks...hopefully they'll be able to get replacements free of charge

I tried out the update, and from what I understand, their "update" software had some problem with it where it flashed the firmware incorrectly, which resulted in some issues... As for me, it definitely had much higher output than indicated on the screen, and what I believe was a "feature" to "flash heat" the coils by pulsing a high voltage before sending the normal stable voltage was too much considering a lot of users run single coils with lower wattage... On my dual dripper with a lot of metal though it was actually really nice... coils heated up instantly with no lag time...

Anyway, the point is, I'm sure cloupor will replace the bad units, but... I do have to point out one thing... I kept up with this incident quite a bit... and I am by no means defending cloupor... However... One thing I did notice reading all the stories that actually had lots of info... In almost all accounts the first thing the people who "fried" their units did was to crank it up to 75 watts...

Now yes, I get it... I did testing with a dripper (my atomic) to test out wattage above 50... However, I was also running a dual coil 1ohm build on it. (2 2 ohm coils).

In lots of cases I saw people with .2, .3, .4 builds who immediately cranked it to 75 watts and fried their unit... Well, I don't even have to do the math to know that they blew the 10amp limit of the chip right out the window...

Don't get me wrong... YES, if the firmware was working properly it should have stopped that from happening... but maybe it's just the engineer in me, or maybe it's working in I.T. and doing software upgrades and things all my life, but no matter how positive I am that something is "supposed to work perfectly", I don't trust it when it's new... I test it... gradually... Even when I tested the RDAs I didn't just slam it up to 75 and hit it... I worked up about 5 watts at a time... and again I knew that my 1ohm build would keep it well within the 10 amp limit even at 75 watts... Just a different mentality I guess....

So yeah, I'm not saying this is what happened in EVERY case, but I saw LOTS and LOTS of cases of friend ones where that's exactly what happened... "I set it for 75 watts on my plume veil with a .3 ohm build and it fried as soon as I fired it..."

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I just got a T5 a couple days ago and it's been great so far. I'm glad I didn't bother with upgrade yet.

In regards to people frying their T5's using the full 75 watts, that's Cloupor's problem. If the unit can't handle what they promised in the update, then the damaged ones should be replaced under warranty. Period.

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
I just got a T5 a couple days ago and it's been great so far. I'm glad I didn't bother with upgrade yet.

In regards to people frying their T5's using the full 75 watts, that's Cloupor's problem. If the unit can't handle what they promised in the update, then the damaged ones should be replaced under warranty. Period.

To be honest, yes, I get it... and it's a regulated mod... It should protect itself... But in the same respect, a very small part of me feels like you've got to use some common sense too...

Think of it like this... If I go buy an 18650 and slap it in my mech with a .12 build and it vents... Is it the company who makes the batteries fault? They sold me a product that was supposed to supply voltage to a load... I set it up to do that and it failed... They should replace it under warranty... Nevermind that battery is spec'd at 10 amps and I just tried to draw 35 off it...

The T5 is rated for 10 amps... YES I agree it should limit it and prevent itself from burning out... but in the same respect, I could say that battery should have limited itself if it can only deliver 10 amps... There should have been some protection there to prevent me from trying to draw 35 amps off it...

The forums and facebook were full of people who tried to fire their .4, .5, and .6 ohm builds at 75 watts... Yet the T5 is clearly spec'd for 10 amps... And rather an oversight, a malfunction, or whatever, it didn't prevent them from trying to draw more than 10 amps... and as a result, it fried their unit... Others like myself were able to run the full 75 watts without any problems at all, because I was using a build that I knew drew under the 10 amps it's rated for... It had other issues, including the battery meter, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it didn't have problems... I'm just saying that the people who "fried" their T5's, or at least the ones that gave details about what happened, were clearly running builds that exceeded the 10 amp limit at 75 watts... So I have a really hard time faulting Cloupor for that... Any more so than I'd fault a battery manufacturer for having a battery fail when it was put into a situation that clearly exceeded it's specifications.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Was there any printed material included with the T5 which clearly warned about its 10 amp limit, and what that means in layman's terms? There should have been a separate printed sheet with bold warnings not to exceed such and such while using this device.

I know there's no excuse for a lack of common sense, but there aren't many people who understand electronics and Ohm's Law. They buy a mod advertised to make 50 watts, and get a firmware update offering 75 watts. They understand Plug & Play.

There's a reason why there is a warning on McDonald's coffee cups that the coffee is hot.

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
Was there any printed material included with the T5 which clearly warned about its 10 amp limit, and what that means in layman's terms? There should have been a separate printed sheet with bold warnings not to exceed such and such while using this device.

I know there's no excuse for a lack of common sense, but there aren't many people who understand electronics and Ohm's Law. They buy a mod advertised to make 50 watts, and get a firmware update offering 75 watts. They understand Plug & Play.

There's a reason why there is a warning on McDonald's coffee cups that the coffee is hot.

The instruction manual did state it had a 10 amp limit. I threw mine out so I can't tell you the exact wording, but it did state it fairly clearly. However they also indicated this mostly in a "This is a regulated mod, yes it can go down to .2 ohms, but it can deliver up to 9.2 volts... You don't need super low ohm coils with this... Built in the 1 to 2 ohm range to take full advantage of the range of outputs" or something to that effect. With the original firmware my understand (though I've never tried it) is that it would limit you from exceeding the 10 amp limit. i.e. if you slap a .2 ohm coil on their and crank it to 50 watts it's really only going to fire at 20 watts... With this update though somehow those limits got disabled... so if you set your .2 ohm coil at 50 watts it would try to fire at the full 50 watts.... Resulting in people frying their chips.

I have no doubt that these limits weren't disabled intentionally.... It was a mistake on their part or a glitch in the software that resulted in it happening... Who knows... And with that I agree that they are responsible... However, my argument is just that this is where common sense comes into play. I agree totally about the warning on a cup of coffee, but to me that's just a statement about our declining society, not rather or not one should continue to just use good common sense.

On a side note, I wrote a thesis in college once about just that. The "dumbing down" of our society. That as a result of tags on hair dryers that tell you not to use them in the bathtub, notes on cups stating that your hot coffee is hot, warnings that intentionally inhaling paint thinner is bad for you, etc... we have essentially taken Darwin out of the equation. The principle was that where we once had a society filled with intelligent people, and even some remarkable ones such as Einstein, Schrodinger, Tesla, etc... That through the continued effort to "protect and preserve" those who choose not to think for themselves, we are as a whole continuing to lower the collective I.Q. of our society. As each generation passes, more and more of those who would have been eliminated through the simple process of evolution are now going on to procreate.

Needless to say, I'm a fan of thinking for myself and not letting someone else do it for me. :D

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
And just to re-iterate.... Here's a post I just found on reddit...

"I'm still going to upgrade. I just won't try to push a 1ohm coil at 75w. Maybe a .2 at that level wouldn't fry my device but anything higher will.
The guys who fried their boards must not know Ohm's Law well enough to know that the 10 amp limit of the board can't handle higher resistance builds at that high wattage, especially with the pulse spike."

How can you not love this guy? Berating others for "not knowing Ohm's law" while stating that putting a coil with any resistance HIGHER than .2 ohms will exceed the amp limit of the board at high wattage... Wow....

autobiogphnation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Chicago

On a side note, I wrote a thesis in college once about just that. The "dumbing down" of our society. That as a result of tags on hair dryers that tell you not to use them in the bathtub, notes on cups stating that your hot coffee is hot, warnings that intentionally inhaling paint thinner is bad for you, etc... we have essentially taken Darwin out of the equation. The principle was that where we once had a society filled with intelligent people, and even some remarkable ones such as Einstein, Schrodinger, Tesla, etc... That through the continued effort to "protect and preserve" those who choose not to think for themselves, we are as a whole continuing to lower the collective I.Q. of our society. As each generation passes, more and more of those who would have been eliminated through the simple process of evolution are now going on to procreate.

Needless to say, I'm a fan of thinking for myself and not letting someone else do it for me. :D

That must have been one hell of a thesis, great idea!

I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain ohms law on here to people who are new or don't understand knowing what to set their device at, but I can tell you about the one time someone basically said screw ohms law and used their own "logic" for setting voltage of a device... All I did was suggest using the power formula p=v²/r and they said that was too complicated and mentioned how they were a horrible math student etc so instead this person just take their resistance and adds 2 to it and that's the voltage to set... I mean like its working for this person but you can't do some simple algebra to know the exact numbers and be safe about it? Hell pull out a calculator, we all carry one with us everyday, its called a cellphone.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I can tell you about the one time someone basically said screw ohms law and used their own "logic" for setting voltage of a device... All I did was suggest using the power formula p=v²/r and they said that was too complicated and mentioned how they were a horrible math student etc so instead this person just take their resistance and adds 2 to it and that's the voltage to set... I mean like its working for this person but you can't do some simple algebra to know the exact numbers and be safe about it? Hell pull out a calculator, we all carry one with us everyday, its called a cellphone.
What's wrong with the "Ohms plus 2 formula"? :blink:

I got a D- in Algebra I fortyfive years ago; I didn't bother to even attempt Algebra II. My fliptop cellphone doesn't have a calculator. I'm lucky to be able to text about five words at a time. Phones are for verbal comunication.

autobiogphnation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Chicago
What's wrong with the "Ohms plus 2 formula"? :blink:

I got a D- in Algebra I fortyfive years ago; I didn't bother to even attempt Algebra II. My fliptop cellphone doesn't have a calculator. I'm lucky to be able to text about five words at a time. Phones are for verbal comunication.
Well let me rephrase and say most have a calculator, haha.

If ohms plus 2 works for you, that's great. I'm not faulting you for it. My opinion is why not do the little math and know exactly what you've got and be safe. With great power comes great responsibility, literally in this case with all the power our PVs are becoming capable of.

Last edited:
I did not get my upgrade yesterday because I figured the site would be jammed and the download would only bring trouble. I just dissected the entire site to find the upgrade. FAIL not one word about it. Nothing addressing any problems and nothing at all on where the hell it is. Why does every mod I buy anymore just come with a mountain of issues? I do not mean cheap stuff like the t5 but the Hana(authentic) my mechs (authentic) well trust me I have a very decent collection. The only products that have ever given me no trouble in any of there products is Innokin. However as they do not allow me to sub ohm or go high enough with my rda's they are not very useful. aaaaahhhhhhhh the good old days of a vamo and an HH357. No problems just vape and vape and vape. So I have my eye on the sigelei 100 watt, the t8 and the vapor flask. I am interested in them because of battery life. I vape between 12 and 22 watts so this 50,75,100 is not what attracts me. Every one of these mods uses 2 18650's and 2 of them do not need a tool to get to the damn batteries. I went out and really stocked up on vtc4's and 5's as well as efest 35amps and I mean stocked up so I can just vape and vape all day and switch out batteries right? WRONG The hana, atlas, t5 all have screws DOH!!!!!!!!!! sO WHAT AM I TO DO NOW have 15 mods all charged up on the usb cable? Frusrtated.

thalian

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Saint Petersburg, FL
Every one of these mods uses 2 18650's and 2 of them do not need a tool to get to the damn batteries. I went out and really stocked up on vtc4's and 5's as well as efest 35amps and I mean stocked up so I can just vape and vape all day and switch out batteries right? WRONG The hana, atlas, t5 all have screws DOH!!!!!!!!!! sO WHAT AM I TO DO NOW have 15 mods all charged up on the usb cable? Frusrtated.

Try what I am going to try once I get my order of rare earth magnets. I am going to remove the screws on my Cloupor Cana mod\clone and replace the with the magnets so I can easily remove the battery cover and swap them out. Seems the trick is to just drill very slowly and in small amounts until you get the right depth for the magnets to sit flush and use some epoxy to keep them in place. I bought the Cana with this in mind as an experiment since it is the cheapest of the decent quality higher wattage & regulated devices, I'm just out the $70. Still would suck but not as bad as if I did with the IPV4 & was out around a 100 bucks.

Here's a link IPV2 50 watt Box mod... mod using magnets! (magnet door mod) - YouTube to a guy making this mod to his IPV4 mod on YouTube.

Ash

Jarmstro

Jul 15, 2014
Torquay, England
Hidden on Facebook is a reply from Cloupor which sheds some light on what went on. Basically the main problem isn't the chip. It's the wiring. The wiring can't take more than 10 amps without heating. People melted their wires! The device has a 10 amp safe limit as stated. With the new boost feature it was all too easy to go over 10amps! And with all the internal wires white hot it then played havoc with the chip!! They say the new firmware will have a 50w maximum. I bet the V2 has thicker wires! :laugh:

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Well let me rephrase and say most have a calculator, haha.

If ohms plus 2 works for you, that's great. I'm not faulting you for it. My opinion is why not do the little math and know exactly what you've got and be safe. With great power comes great responsibility, literally in this case with all the power our PVs are becoming capable of.

You don't even have to do the math. Just plug in the numbers: :D

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Ohms plus two never worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread