ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Nothing better than a good potting compound... :D
Full-potted-part.jpg

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
Heat sensitive components are outside the potting compound - ie: the transistor mid right. You don’t pot electronics without ensuring the compound will not influence their operation.

You think that mod makers design that well. ;)

That doohickey up there is built and wired better then every single mod I’ve taken apart or seen dissassembled.

Horrifying really what can be sold as a vape.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
You think that mod makers design that well. ;)

That doohickey up there is built and wired better then every single mod I’ve taken apart or seen dissassembled.

Horrifying really what can be sold as a vape.

How can you determine how well designed that doohickey is just from the picture? I can give an assumption that it is not very well designed against moisture/exposure to liquid just by the variable resistor that is exposed.

Potting components similar to the above example requires attention to its design so that the compound does not influence the operation. Conformal coating for the means of water resistance also requires attention so that the coating does not influence the operation.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The use of heatshrink has no bearing on the quality of design. If a wire is soldered directly to a circuit board, heatshrink can only cover so much of it. The joint is still exposed. With mods we are dealing with a small board that are housed in a very confined space – not a lot of room for a wire to be soldered onto a press on connector where it’s connection can be covered with heatshrinked. Example of a DNA board below.

Solder joint.jpg

Reactions: AttyPops

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
The use of heatshrink has no bearing on the quality of design. If a wire is soldered directly to a circuit board, heatshrink can only cover so much of it. The joint is still exposed. With mods we are dealing with a small board that are housed in a very confined space – not a lot of room for a wire to be soldered onto a press on connector where it’s connection can be covered with heatshrinked. Example of a DNA board below.

View attachment 775407

Thanks man. I just repaired one so I know what these look like ;).

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I was thinking of doing this on my squonkers mainly because they’re most likely to get “wet”. The spray I linked also says it restores water damaged electronics to a working condition. Not sure what that means exactly. Anyway if someone does use one of these products please share how it goes.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I was thinking of doing this on my squonkers mainly because they’re most likely to get “wet”. The spray I linked also says it restores water damaged electronics to a working condition. Not sure what that means exactly. Anyway if someone does use one of these products please share how it goes.

Saw the link in the other thread and I have a bit of trouble believing it’s claims. Seems the product has been out for quite some time so the question I have is why is not more widely used. Not trying to rain on your parade, if the product is inexpensive, then it might be worth it’s price of admission to experiment. But experiment on something you are willing to sacrifice.

Reactions: madstabber

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Saw the link in the other thread and I have a bit of trouble believing it’s claims. Seems the product has been out for quite some time so the question I have is why is not more widely used. Not trying to rain on your parade, if the product is inexpensive, then it might be worth it’s price of admission to experiment. But experiment on something you are willing to sacrifice.
Yea I was hoping someone else would be the guinea pig. Even if I did use it it’s not like I’m gonna take it swimming afterwards. I just figured I would cover me if I ever do something stupid and get ejuice all over one of my squonkers. After seeing a topside with some juice behind the screen that bricked it I thought something like this could be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread