Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I went to see my new PCP 2 weeks ago and while I did not get a chest x-ray, he did tell me "your lungs sound great!", without inquiry or provocation of any kind on my part. He does not know that I'm a vaper but he does know I was a smoker (but not that I was a 2.5-3 PAD smoker).

When he asked if I smoke, I say no. When he asks did you smoke before, I say yes, and that's it.

If I have "cobalt lung" it must be undetectable though a stethoscope.

Either that or I don't have "cobalt lung".

Or he's a bad doctor.

Or maybe I have vaped so long that I vaped the metals out?

Or maybe NiCr and FeCrAl are actually healthy?

Ahhh, the possibilities are endless here!

Last edited:

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    Cobalt is everywhere.
    I was testing for cobalt and other substances where it shouldnt be or shouldnt be in elevated levels, and it was there in elevated levels. Water, food and picked up at various stages of production along the chain. It wasnt knowingly added.
    It is a byproduct of refining various metals, some of which we use for coils, nickle for example.
    One particular hospital had elevated levels of cobalt in the water supply, also high levels of lead.
    A good place to start is at google search, cobalt, tobacco/cobalt, water/cobalt, food/cobalt, soil/cobalt, inner city air/cobalt, pollution/cobalt etc.
    Dry as it all sounds, I find it t be an interesting subject.
    Broccoli can have quite high levels of cobalt, comparably, not in a life threatening way.
    I recently bought a house that was previously a .... lab, cobalt levels along with other things were off the charts. I had to rip the ceilings and doors out along with the kitchen and bathroom fixtures.

I would think it almost impossible to not have cobalt as a component of vaping, same for drinking water.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Maybe I should not wear it as a badge of courage or anything and CERTAINLY each and every claim from the media bears investigating and whatevs, but like, I have scarring on the left lobe of my lung from my chronic 18 months of pneumonia, and yet I live and breathe and etc..

I'm sure there are a fair number of folks with "lung scarring" who might not even know about it.

I'm just saying.... All this lung scarring nonsense.... I did not get my scars from VAPING I got them from my 3 ppd habit which I worked overtime to like, give up.

Bodies sre made to be, well lived in.

Anna

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    So is just about everything else. The question is whether it's there at levels that are likely to cause the harm that's being attributed to it?

Well - From what I understand (which is extreamly limited on this subject) the Colbalt/Metals found in some peoples lungs actually come from the "Super Powered" MODS, the higher voltage/wattage used, especially the overuse of extreamly hot coils being used to created more vapor. . . . Again - Not Sure about all of this, so don't come after the messenger . . . Just Sayin' . . . :facepalm:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Well - From what I understand (which is extreamly limited on this subject) the Colbalt/Metals found in some peoples lungs actually come from the "Super Powered" MODS, the higher voltage/wattage used, especially the overuse of extreamly hot coils being used to created more vapor. . . . Again - Not Sure about all of this, so don't come after the messenger . . . Just Sayin' . . . :facepalm:
    What a load of bollocks

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    It's a THC/CBD vape device. Don't know much about them but they do run higher temps so the coils may be different. Also, the stuff people vape in them cost way more than regular nicotine vape juice.
    Thanks classwife... will keep that in mind next time.

They actually operate in the same fashion. Some are fixed voltage, some allow for a variable adjustment and some will perform temperature control which has an almost identical range as a typical TC e-cigarette. The coils used are also very similar, Kanthal, Stainless Steel and Titanium being employed. The ceramic CCELL seems to be a popular choice which is the same as it’s e-cigarette counterpart with the acception of size and resistance. Up to 4.2 volts into a 1.2 ohm CCELL is not a lot of power.

To my knowledge, Dabbing does reach relatively high temperatures, but Dabbing is not a vaporizer pen

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON

A 28 awg Kanthal into 5 wraps around 3mm ID at 10 watts vs 24 awg/32awg Kanthal Clapton into 5 wraps around a 3mm ID at 60 watts. Excluding airflow, for the same applied duration of power, which coil reaches a higher temperature? If you guessed the 28 awg Kanthal at 10 watts you would be right!!

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    What a load of bollocks

While "You" might be correct . . . My Original Post - Was only posting information for others to see and be informed about what else is being said out in the RL - but hidden away . . . ALSO - Possibly to incite/encourage them to do further research so they can find out more information for themselves . . . .

AND - LIke I said - Don't KILL The Messenger
    . . . The Comment I made was from other articles I actually read . . . So - I am NOT saying what is or is NOT the cause and effect as to the reason why people are getting this new version of Cobalt Lung Disease that is being related to Vaping e-Liquid and/or Vaping THC/Cannibals Oil . . . However, It is what is being reported as a "Fact" . . . Including that this is more specific related to Vaping THC/Cannibas Oil (mainly illegal) and using coils at a much higher heat to produce more vapor . . . . So - If Ya' don't mind "You" really should take the original authors/organizations/Media to task for this opinion of "Facts" being "reported" to the general public - Not "Me" . . .

Now - Here are links to a few of the articles and information posted online that mention this for you to read too . . . Just remember - Not everything on the Internet is "True" - nor a "Fact . . . Sometimes it can just be an "Opinion" . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

Oh - And here is one study I found too:

"You" Can find a lot more articles here - From a Google Search:

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Color me skeptical about this theory. But even if it's related to over-heating, it still doesn't explain the presence of significant amounts of cobalt.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Color me skeptical about this theory. But even if it's related to over-heating, it still doesn't explain the presence of significant amounts of cobalt.

Well they have already exploited hydrogen cyanide and mustard gas – old news gathers no interest. Guess next in line is heavy metal poisonings. And not the cheesy hair bands from the 80’s type poisoning, although I wouldn’t put that past the media.

Breaking News at 6. Vaping while listening to Motley Crue is responsible for thousands of lung illnesses!

Reactions: plumeguy

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Dabbing does reach high temps my son had an electronic "nail" which heated it to a precise temperature, I am trying to remember if he used it in the high 300 degrees F, or low 400s. But, it was high. And more precise than just using a blow torch,

He still seems to have the lungs of Michael Phelps, however. And he's been dabbing for a long time because many MMJ patients can get relief for longer via that method. Smoking flower, per my son, is more "satisfying" but he gets symptom relief for longer with a dab setup.

I'm really not that worried about cobalt yet. If it is a THING, I am sure it will be trumpeted to the skies and then some vaping advocate scientist will then investigate, and figure out if it's a problem and let's face it 99/100 times, it's just overblown crud.

I am also of the belief that placebo works both ways so I refuse to get all up in arms about it and freak out until/unless I have to and at the moment I remain completely skeptical although I suppose mildly interested.

Look there will be something bad about "vaping" of ANY sort, about every 10 days, until vaping is gone.. They probably have a LIST of bad things they are waiting to deploy strategically. By they I mean politicians/media.

I will care if it ever becomes in my interest to do so.

Anna

Reactions: plumeguy

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    so what vape wire has cobalt in the alloy ?

Wire is not made in lab type environments – should the manufacturing plant also produce other metals such as cobalt or lead just to name a few, cross contamination is always present. How much contamination is the question.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread