Cobra Clone "Auto Drip" - Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sed Contra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Northeast Ohio
So the short story is that I got my first genesis style atomizer, and I actually have it running okay for my first build. I wrapped a 1.3 Ohm micro-coil using 32 gauge Kanthal. I'm using the oxidized mesh that came with it. It wicks okay, but I don't have any unrolled mesh to fool around with to make improvements on that front. I drilled out the single air hole to make it much bigger, too.

Anyway, I love the idea of using it in the so-called "auto-dripping" mode, but I'm not having much luck. I love using cotton in my RDA's, and I think that I build pretty solid micro-coils. So...what am I doing wrong? I've tried running cotton far down into the tank. I've tried it with just a tiny bit sticking into the tank. I've tried it rolled really tightly, and I've tried it loosely. Regardless of what I do it takes too long to get the cotton saturated. I've even tried Aunt Lydia's bamboo crochet thread - two strands dangling into the tank. It's probably something simple that I'm doing wrong. I've tried with the fill hole open and with it closed.

THOUGHTS???

Thanks!

:2cool:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
If you've only used cotton for dripping before, it's a little different in a tank. It takes a while for the cotton to get fully saturated, up to two hours maybe depending on how much cotton you've used. Once it's saturated it will wick/keep up quickly. You can cheat a little by dripping juice directly onto the cotton to get it started but performance will improve over time. Also, make sure your wick isn't choking in the wick hole.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Back before I got rid of it, I had my chid working pretty good with a micro coil and cotton wick by having some cotton coming out of the top of the coil and back down to the wick hole. It just seemed to work better that way. I also tried the same arrangement with the cotton on the deck covering the wick hole but not actually going down the wick hole. The fill hole was open and there were no leaks but I was using 50/50 juice.

I think this is a real did but it's the same as I did except I draped the cotton back down the side of the coil to the deck instead of letting it ride up the side of the top. You can try it both ways and that might work even better-I never tried it.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/donnah/4743-i-love-micro-coils-cotton.html

Another thing to try is the so called dragon coil. I had a one of those working vertical in my chid (it was called the spin-E coil at the time). It was sort of like what's in these pictures except the cotton just came down and covered the wick hole. You might be able to get some ideas from the pictures.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...y-nano-dragon-coil-build-28.html#post10918584

Good luck and happy vaping. :vapor:

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
I just did a cotton yarn build and it's working great.:thumbs:

I used Sugar n Cream 100% cotton yarn (Same as Peaches n Cream just a different store).
I wrapped my 32 gauge resistance wire around a 4-40 screw and over did it and wound up with 2.9 ohms but it's working great at 7 watts.

Best part is with the lower wattage I can get a decent amount of vape time out of my 18350 batteries and still get a full flavor vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread