Viva Novi - Do all types of cotton wicking need to be boiled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmoondreamer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
Tyler, Texas
I've been reading up on different things to wick the Vivi with.......braided cotton candle wicking, Aunt Lydia's #10 bamboo crochet thread, peaches and cream #4, etc. Does every type of cotton based wicking you use have to be boiled before use? Is there a type or brand that doesn't have to be? Thank you for any help you can give me, I'm old to vaping but new to the Vivi Nova and rebuilding.

JazzyTech

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
California
Candle square braided wick #1/0 I find to be perfect for the Vivi Nova, mini and Stardust slot. Works best with a short wick. As for the boiling, I do it to remove sizing. (I boil it 3 times) Generally you should boil it just to be safe. There are a few types that apparently don't need boiling such as sterile gauze, and certain types of cotton balls. I'm sure this isn't the entire list...

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The sizing that's found in many sorts of threads, wicking, etc., is mostly starch. When subjected to the heat of the wire, it'll scorch and build up as crud on the wire.

Best just to boil whatever you're using for wicks. Your rebuilds will last longer and probably taste a bit better.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I've been reading up on different things to wick the Vivi with.......

Don't forget to check the dollar tree for this: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...nt-cottons-different-wicks-3.html#post8069106

I plan on picking some up to try because xMackx has tried about all the cottons and he likes it the best.

So far I've been rockin' my reduxes with cheese cloth with great results. If you do try cheese cloth, try to get the coarse weave (I got mine at Wally World).

Yinzer

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2011
Pittsburgh
I've tried sterile gauze, found it hard to work with. Cheese cloth...works some of the time. Takes forever to break in. The best so far, square cotton makeup applicator pads I "borrowed" from my girlfriend. Cut a small strip, and it's the perfect length for my stardust head. Rewicks easy. Just a few vapes and it's broken in. Can take the voltage up pretty high. Great flavor / wicking. Lasts a few tanks, swap out for new. One pad gives me 10+ rewicks.

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I've tried sterile gauze, found it hard to work with. Cheese cloth...works some of the time. Takes forever to break in. The best so far, square cotton makeup applicator pads I "borrowed" from my girlfriend. Cut a small strip, and it's the perfect length for my stardust head. Rewicks easy. Just a few vapes and it's broken in. Can take the voltage up pretty high. Great flavor / wicking. Lasts a few tanks, swap out for new. One pad gives me 10+ rewicks.

The ingenuity of vapers has no boundaries. I love it.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
.......... The best so far, square cotton makeup applicator pads I "borrowed" from my girlfriend. Cut a small strip, and it's the perfect length for my stardust head. Rewicks easy. Just a few vapes and it's broken in. Can take the voltage up pretty high. Great flavor / wicking. Lasts a few tanks, swap out for new. One pad gives me 10+ rewicks.

Sounds like those pads may be similar to the rounds that xMackx gets from dollar tree for $1.00. (link is in my other post.) :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread