Cobra (or any Genesis) Air Hole Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
Hey, didnt read the whole thread. But incase you wonder. The stock hole is .8mm its way too tight.
I drilled mine out to 1.2mm wich for me is a bit airy. I would go with 1mm

Thanks a bunch for that info. I just recently bought a metric titanium drill bit set ranging from 0.6mm-1.6mm (.6, .65, .7, .75, etc.).

If I ever do decide to drill it out, I'll start @ 0.85mm and go up from there (assuming the cap would be around 1mm like you say). We have a lot more work to do with the coil and etc. first but it's still good to know for future reference (especially since I searched for ages and could NOT find that info lol).

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Hey, didnt read the whole thread. But incase you wonder. The stock hole is .8mm its way too tight.
I drilled mine out to 1.2mm wich for me is a bit airy. I would go with 1mm

Hmm according to the maker ("thescot" from Siam mods) the stock hole is 1mm. It looks like a 1mm hole like my DID small hole cap has got, but it has a tighter draw which I guess is due to the thicker metal in the cap on the Cobra.

EDIT remembered I do have a set of gauges, for gap setting on spark plugs. The hole on the Cobra is measuring between 0.9 & 1mm. The 1mm gauge is just slightly too big to push through, but the 0.9mm gauge goes through easily. The hole is definitely larger than 0.8mm.

Last edited:
I prefer the small stock Griffin air hole more than the large one. Sadly, the small air hole is too tight (even puffed light) & it hits one spot overly hot on the wick. The large hole caps are too drafty for m
AYDjG.png
unless huffed hard. I took my large air hole griffin replacement cap & DID(pun intended) what needed to be done, to bring my idea to life...

I do not know the original air hole sizes, but the bit I used is a tad less than 1mm. I assume the two small holes I drilled actually allow more air in, as their total combined open area is likely more than the single large air holes open area. The two holes draw vapor loosely like the bigger air hole, but the air is not a single (little to no draw resistance) draft, aimed @ one spot one the wick. The new intake(s) still vortex air into the chamber with a venturi-like pressure effect that adds draw resistance?, I suppose as it spreads the air evenly along & inline with the vertical wick(not a single spot). It is new to mE, but I like it.

First impressions: More flavor & not too tight nor too loose, just right on the draw with even wick coverage.

I would have liked to do three 0.5-0.65 size holes. Maybe next time
8N9cC.gif

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
A while back I turned a spitfire into a horizontal genny style atty. Air from the original inlet hole, which is underneath the coil, was insufficient and produced a low quality vape. I reworked the top chamber and used two cut pieces of 14g (?) hypo tubing, to direct airflow to the center of both sides of the ss mesh and coil.

This setup of 3mm of bamboo in a 4mm ss wick had unbelievable vapor production that was completely unvapable before the change in airflow dynamics. Afterwards fantastic.

-------------------------------

Mister E nice production on your post.... It would be interesting to see how the vape swirls in the chamber with different hole configurations. Not sure in the plastic would hold or melt, but it would be cool.

------------------------------

EDIT: The observation I wanted to share with the set up in the post above was that the creation of the two holes in the side of the vape chamber alone did not really improve vape quality. With the hypo tube creating direct "jets" on the coils it change the set up from zero to hero. :)

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I prefer the small stock Griffin air hole more than the large one. Sadly, the small air hole is too tight (even puffed light) & it hits one spot overly hot on the wick. The large hole caps are too drafty for m
AYDjG.png
unless huffed hard. I took my large air hole griffin replacement cap & DID(pun intended) what needed to be done, to bring my idea to life...

I do not know the original air hole sizes, but the bit I used is a tad less than 1mm. I assume the two small holes I drilled actually allow more air in, as their total combined open area is likely more than the single large air holes open area. The two holes draw vapor loosely like the bigger air hole, but the air is not a single (little to no draw resistance) draft, aimed @ one spot one the wick. The new intake(s) still vortex air into the chamber with a venturi-like pressure effect that adds draw resistance?, I suppose as it spreads the air evenly along & inline with the vertical wick(not a single spot). It is new to mE, but I like it.

First impressions: More flavor & not too tight nor too loose, just right on the draw with even wick coverage.

I would have liked to do three 0.5-0.65 size holes. Maybe next time
8N9cC.gif

Right on, my thoughts exactly,,, to big of a hole is like sucking though a straw with no liquid coming up,,, the double or triple smaller holes work super, they also for some reason seem to pull juice up into the wick more I find, yet still creating that Venturi air flow, got mine set up as well and love it, 3 x .065 !

Edit,, if you have a bigger hole in yout top cap you can take a thin razor blade out of a cheapo razor, and install it on the inside of your top cap covering part of the hole, you just bend it right into place, this works on many SS units, or can fill the hole with some JB weld and re-drill a smaller one too, these double and triple smaller holes I really like.

Last edited:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
A while back I turned a spitfire into a horizontal genny style atty. Air from the original inlet hole, which is underneath the coil, was insufficient and produced a low quality vape. I reworked the top chamber and used two cut pieces of 14g (?) hypo tubing, to direct airflow to the center of both sides of the ss mesh and coil.

This setup of 3mm of bamboo in a 4mm ss wick had unbelievable vapor production that was completely unvapable before the change in airflow dynamics. Afterwards fantastic.

-------------------------------

Mister E nice production on your post.... It would be interesting to see how the vape swirls in the chamber with different hole configurations. Not sure in the plastic would hold or melt, but it would be cool.

------------------------------

EDIT: The observation I wanted to share with the set up in the post above was that the creation of the two holes in the side of the vape chamber alone did not really improve vape quality. With the hypo tube creating direct "jets" on the coils it change the set up from zero to hero. :)

I have thought about making air-tubes like that for awhile now. Thanks for adding to the inspiration :)

Gdeal
vdILw.gif
, everytime I think of your tiny tubing air hole mod it sends my mind off into clouds (of vapor
8N9cC.gif
). The image you just posted is slick in its crisp wet look & the blue really adds nicely to the image. One day I do want to do some tubular mods but...

This sent m
AYDjG.png
to fun:p [not work/EWW:(]
I was going to do just that, but like you say plastic would melt. I then got to thinking:ohmy:, what happens inside is deep mystery to MISTer E, so what about what leaves the tip?;)

I have built an apparatus. I may be cheesy, but my cunning is more deadly than a cheetah. Here is the debut of "the making of" that apparatus.
BEST VIEWED 720HD full screen & the youtube description has a slight pondering...

I need to edit some footage/images I made of a sloppy quick (side by side sorta) Griffin air hole test, & shall likely post that vid to the [thread=350390]Did Clone Tutorial (genesis style)[/thread] SOON... An added bonus in that line up...
Third air hole addedImgur is loading slow today...
q5Laz.png

I need full coverage on this vapor maker:D
L7gnP.jpg

8N9cC.gif

Vinv

Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
Space
The main reason I'm exploring a larger air hole is because I'm helping a friend with his and he keeps complaining that he's getting too much throat hit (2ohm coil, even @ around 3.2v he still says it's too harsh). He still smokes and he says it's way stronger than his cigs (ultra lights) and that it's choking him even with small 1-2 second pulls on the Cobra (he also mentioned it "burning"/being "hot" although I'm not sure if he's using the terminology correctly as he should be around 6 watts or so meaning it shouldn't be hot?).

Like I said before, it's a 4-5 wrap @ 2-2.3ohms and regardless of the volts he says its too strong. There are no hot spots to my knowledge (pic of the coil below). He's using Heavenly Tobacco juice (RY4 variant) from Heather's Heavenly Vapes at a 30VG/70PG ratio. It's a 500 mesh wrapped tight (no center channel) fully oxidized (maybe even too much).

Having said all of the above, what could I do to lessen the harshness (he wants to feel the throat hit, like he would a cig, just not overwhelming/choking)? Different juice? More wraps on the coil/higher ohms? Or just go ahead and try the 1/16th hole (I've already bought the drill bit in case we end up going that route).

Thanks for the advice in advance. :thumbs:

ZHjP8.jpg

mYUeM.jpg

iPr6U.jpg

Maybe his allergic to PG , he should try 100% VG ( pure ,including the flavor extract ) .
I have some friends like that ...

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
I think it was a combination of things. I had oxidized the mesh so much that it was falling apart and would turn anything it touched black. My coil was also a bit on the loose side. He was also dripping juice onto the wick instead of putting any in the tank to sample them (probably not using enough and burning the little that was on the wick).

I've already made a better wick, but my attempts to wrap a tighter coil has resulted in 4 shorted coils lol (even using the drill bit method). I'll keep at it and let you know what his opinion is after I fix the hardware and we actually fill up the tank for a vape.

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
Old wick/coil:

mYUeM.jpg

iPr6U.jpg

New wick/coil:

O6WPd.jpg

sNrIL.jpg

Went from 2.3ohms to 3.3ohms (no juice yet though, will probably settle around 3.5ohms). I didn't mean to wrap the coil so much but that's just where it settled and it worked without shorts/hot spots so I left it alone lol (took me 5 hours to get that much). Thanks to the Provari I can still keep it around 8-9watts (that's all that really matters harshness/throat hit wise, right?). Also, no matter what I do I can't get the bottom coil to light up (on any of the coils I made during that 5 hours, not just this last coil). Yet I was able to accomplish it on my very first coil (original pics). Does it matter, and if so what's the secret? lol

The wick was almost destroyed in those 5 hours though (it's starting to shred from the abuse from all the coil hell I put it through, although it seems nowhere near as brittle as the last wick was so that should be a plus). I'll be out of town for Thanksgiving but I'll let you know if the results are any different with him when I get back. :)

Last edited:
Also, no matter what I do I can't get the bottom coil to light up (on any of the coils I made during that 5 hours, not just this last coil). Yet I was able to accomplish it on my very first coil (original pics). Does it matter, and if so what's the secret? lol
Maconi the spacing between wraps was much wider on your first image. Your later image has tighter wraps. A coil has neat properties. Widely spaced coils are more independent of each other & get almost all their heat individually & slowly from largely the electricity. Tightly wrapped coils bump up the heat & heat up quicker. One wind heats up & the next one steals a bit from the already lit one, as it get lit. The outer coil ends are always the coolest on tight spaced coils because they lack a snuggle partner on the outer side.

Lower legs often have the chamber floor that acts as a heat sink as well & your first coil image rises @ a higher degree than the one with more tight wraps.

I hope that made sense or helped:blink:

8N9cC.gif

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Right now I am vaping on DUD with 30awg kanthal 7 wraps at 1.6ohms. I vape it around 4 volts and it is a steam machine. I was getting harsh hits on it sometimes.... so I killed off the top coil by fiddle with it until it went cold. Don't worry if you can't get all the coils to light up if you have that many wraps...if 4 or 5 of the coils light up, you're good. For me I like to kill off the top coil because the coil could be perfect today but a hot spot tomorrow. It is the most troublesome coil for most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread