coil building questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomitom12

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2014
marina, california
Hi y'all so i got me a vector rda and i'm running it on a evic vtc mini which goes down to.1 not .01 . My first official build i done myself was a parallel dual coil that read at.12 loved it so freakin much and was very happy with myself for building. But now i'm trying to replicating that same build and can't even get close. I'm using 24 gauge kanthal and i'm wrapping about 6-7 wraps each time. Damn thing when i get it positioned reads as a short or no atomizer. I'm fully aware not to let my leads cross and i've tried to do it also on one strand of wire. I find this frustrating because i liked that parallel build. Am i jumping into something too fast or what? Also i noticed my grub screws are grabbing and holding nicely. I can tighten it and you can hear it clicking like its not so does that have anything to do with. It's a three post design (should of gone with a four post design) so is there a trick? Am i using the wrong gauge to quickly? Any thoughts and tips would be great and what box/ device that i can get that i can get lower?
Thanks all

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
What is the inside diameter of the coils (what are you wrapping them around)? 24ga Kanthal dual coil to get .12ohms is only 1.33in long wires. So wrapping as small as 1/16 (1.5mm) would only do about 4 wraps. I am not sure where your short is coming from but if you have an Android device, download the free app "Vaper's Toolbox". It will help with designing your coils.

As far as the short goes it might help if you posted some pics and let us know what devices you are using.

Reactions: greasegizzard

PilotNY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2015
Lascassas, Tn
I was taking a guess at the ID of the coil using 24 gauge Kanthal and this is what my calculator said? Don't know where your re getting the 6 - 7 wraps at??? What calculator are you using????

upload_2016-1-22_23-18-24.png

Eitje

Sep 2, 2015
Use an external meter to get your resistance on your builds.

VTC Mini is only a single cell mod, no use in trying to put a 150w build on it.
0.12 is already way beyond it's limits, 0.2-0.3 is more in it's comfort range.

A 2 or 3 cell mod would be a better idea if you want to be in the 0.0x-0.1x range.
If you like your Mini, opt for a Cuboid which is basically a 2 cell Mini.
Same abundance of features, great display, etc but double the power. (150-200w)

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1. You're trying to go too low on that machine; it hasn't the wattage to fire that build well. It could be grounding out on the top cap as well. If you want a high wattage build, you need to use a pretty good size mandrel-- 2mm is too small, IMHO-- so you can get enough wick in the coil to get the juice flow that low a build needs; even then you'll probably want Scottish Roll rayon to feed it. I have a Vector. It's presently build with quad 28ga SS316 slick coils, just for fun, but a really good set of duals in it is 26/32 Clapton wire in Kanthal, 6/5 wrap on a 3mm mandrel. It's nowhere near that low, comes in about .45Ω. But I'll bet it makes better vapor than a 24ga slick coil because it's got a lot more surface area. And it fires to 100mW/mm^2 at 65 watts, (barely) within the capacity of your machine. If you really want to run .1 coils, you need more mod; a Siggie 150 or better still (and cheaper), an RX200. A dual 6/5 on 3mm in 24ga round wire would bring about .25Ω and fire to 200mW/mm^2 at 45 watts. That's both a lot safer and will make better vapor and give you better battery life as a bonus. To get a .1 coil set using 24ga in that Vector-- if you really think it wise to build that low-- you could build a set of quads 5/4 on 3mm. You'll need upwards of 70 watts to fire it, though, and in my judgement, it's really unwise. Especially on a one battery mod. That's like getting on your knees and praying for a trip to the hospital. If you're lucky.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
What is the inside diameter of the coils (what are you wrapping them around)? 24ga Kanthal dual coil to get .12ohms is only 1.33in long wires. So wrapping as small as 1/16 (1.5mm) would only do about 4 wraps. I am not sure where your short is coming from but if you have an Android device, download the free app "Vaper's Toolbox". It will help with designing your coils.

As far as the short goes it might help if you posted some pics and let us know what devices you are using.

A 24g dual "parallel" 5 wrap would be in (guessing ID 2.5 mm) the ballpark of .15 ohms ..............

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
I really don't see any need for a build below 0.3 on modern regulated Mods, but you can now safely build much lower, due to the regulated Mod keeping the input and output circuits completely separated.

You do still need to ensure you're not straining your batteries due to amp draw.

If you feel you need to go to 0.15 builds, then get a dual battery mod, or a DNA200 (Lipo 3 cell or 18650 3 cell).

Buy good quality batteries, eg: Sony VTC4 or VTC5, LG HE2 or HE4, or Samsung R25.

Then decide if you trust cheap 200w mods, like the RX200, not to malfunction when that 0.15 ohms build is pulling 30amps at 133w, an inch from your face.

Personally I'd opt for a DNA 200. Evolve have led the way in battery monitoring and battery safety in regulated mods for several years now.

Provape are on the same level, but have decided to simply not provide options above 40w, so DNA 200 is it at this point in time.

Last edited:

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Hi y'all so i got me a vector rda and i'm running it on a evic vtc mini which goes down to.1 not .01 . My first official build i done myself was a parallel dual coil that read at.12 loved it so freakin much and was very happy with myself for building. But now i'm trying to replicating that same build and can't even get close. I'm using 24 gauge kanthal and i'm wrapping about 6-7 wraps each time. Damn thing when i get it positioned reads as a short or no atomizer. I'm fully aware not to let my leads cross and i've tried to do it also on one strand of wire. I find this frustrating because i liked that parallel build. Am i jumping into something too fast or what? Also i noticed my grub screws are grabbing and holding nicely. I can tighten it and you can hear it clicking like its not so does that have anything to do with. It's a three post design (should of gone with a four post design) so is there a trick? Am i using the wrong gauge to quickly? Any thoughts and tips would be great and what box/ device that i can get that i can get lower?
Thanks all

I honestly don't see how you could bare the heat on your lips that would come from the metal drip tip @ .1 ohm 70 watts
My sweet spot build on mine is .48 @ 38 watts, make sure your coils aren't touching the chimney cap, so try pulsing it with wet wicks without the chimney first ...............

tomitom12

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2014
marina, california
+1. You're trying to go too low on that machine; it hasn't the wattage to fire that build well. It could be grounding out on the top cap as well. If you want a high wattage build, you need to use a pretty good size mandrel-- 2mm is too small, IMHO-- so you can get enough wick in the coil to get the juice flow that low a build needs; even then you'll probably want Scottish Roll rayon to feed it. I have a Vector. It's presently build with quad 28ga SS316 slick coils, just for fun, but a really good set of duals in it is 26/32 Clapton wire in Kanthal, 6/5 wrap on a 3mm mandrel. It's nowhere near that low, comes in about .45Ω. But I'll bet it makes better vapor than a 24ga slick coil because it's got a lot more surface area. And it fires to 100mW/mm^2 at 65 watts, (barely) within the capacity of your machine. If you really want to run .1 coils, you need more mod; a Siggie 150 or better still (and cheaper), an RX200. A dual 6/5 on 3mm in 24ga round wire would bring about .25Ω and fire to 200mW/mm^2 at 45 watts. That's both a lot safer and will make better vapor and give you better battery life as a bonus. To get a .1 coil set using 24ga in that Vector-- if you really think it wise to build that low-- you could build a set of quads 5/4 on 3mm. You'll need upwards of 70 watts to fire it, though, and in my judgement, it's really unwise. Especially on a one battery mod. That's like getting on your knees and praying for a trip to the hospital. If you're lucky.
well joyetech lets you build to .1 so to me they kept safety in mind so it's hard to say. Yes i need to get something that's a duel 18650 but what i don't know yet

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
so im pulling 20.8 amps on a .16 build i have 25 r's and my wattage is in the 50 to 60 range. i dont chain vape so i should be good right?

Actually the ohms doesn't make a difference on a regulated. The only reason to mention ohms is that super low ohms normally require high power to vape.

The equation that matters is:
I=P/V
Current (amps) = Power / Volts

So when your battery is low you may have a volt reading of 3.2v.

You set the power to 60w.

Amp draw = 60w / 3.2v = 18.75amps

Now you device is going to add a little amp draw through the wiring.

So many prefer the equation:
I=P/V/0.95 to account for the device.

Amp draw = 60w/3.2 /0.95 = 19.7amps

Personally I wouldn't run a 20a battery, not even a good one such as the Samsung 25r, at the very limit of it's 20amp rating, but that's your choice, you have the facts.

Reactions: Susan~S

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
well joyetech lets you build to .1 so to me they kept safety in mind so it's hard to say. Yes i need to get something that's a duel 18650 but what i don't know yet
That would be my suggestion. What you're doing is like trying to put out a house fire with a garden hose. Safe enough, maybe, but it isn't going to work too well.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
so im pulling 20.8 amps on a .16 build i have 25 r's and my wattage is in the 50 to 60 range. i dont chain vape so i should be good right?

0.16 ohms, 60 watts
watts = ampsxamps xohms
amps = 19.4 amps.

volts = 3.1 volts

you shoud check under 'mod range' in steam engine to see what the optimum ohms is for your mod.

Mod range

evic VT sweet spot is 0.7 ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread