Coil Gunk Tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc10mike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Ever since I read the "Micro Coil" thread I was always building my coils with every winding as tight as possible. For me (using 100% VG) this worked ok for about a day. After that, the coil performance decreased. Upon inspection I noticed a thick layer of crud on the coil right where the air hole was.

After some experimentation I built a coil with about a fingernail space between each winding.

This works much better for me. The vape is the same but Ive been going a week without any performance decrease.

My theory is the space between the windings doesn't allow the crud to build up and choke the coil. So far it works great.

dodari

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2011
New Mexico
Ever since I read the "Micro Coil" thread I was always building my coils with every winding as tight as possible. For me (using 100% VG) this worked ok for about a day. After that, the coil performance decreased. Upon inspection I noticed a thick layer of crud on the coil right where the air hole was.

After some experimentation I built a coil with about a fingernail space between each winding.

This works much better for me. The vape is the same but Ive been going a week without any performance decrease.

My theory is the space between the windings doesn't allow the crud to build up and choke the coil. So far it works great.

rc10,

What are you using for wick? Thanks.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I find making the micro-coil (doesn't have to be micro), on an easily held form, in my case an ~1/16 jeweler's screwdriver, then threading cotton wick, easier to do with old hands than wrapping silica. I was one of the last holdouts for micro-coil and cotton. I've been doing RBAs over a year.

I am not doubting your results, mind you, and next micro-coil I build I'll leave some space between wraps to compare, using same juice. My juices, same or similar I've been vaping for three years, gunk any coil, in a matter of day to a couple of days, pre-built attys, RBAs, regular wind or micro, silica or cotton. Using micro and cotton I can pull wick out, quick dry-burn coil, and rewick faster than the time it takes to do several plusing dry-burns to clean silica wick. And using silica, prebuilt or RBA, the only way to get wick really clean is to soak and/or boil. That is more time consuming and much more hassle, for me, than quick dry-burn and rewick even if needed daily.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

rc10mike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I find making the micro-coil (doesn't have to be micro), on an easily held form, in my case an ~1/16 jeweler's screwdriver, then threading cotton wick, easier to do with old hands than wrapping silica. I was one of the last holdouts for micro-coil and cotton. I've been doing RBAs over a year.

I am not doubting your results, mind you, and next micro-coil I build I'll leave some space between wraps to compare, using same juice. My juices, same or similar I've been vaping for three years, gunk any coil, in a matter of day to a couple of days, pre-built attys, RBAs, regular wind or micro, silica or cotton. Using micro and cotton I can pull wick out, quick dry-burn coil, and rewick faster than the time it takes to do several plusing dry-burns to clean silica wick. And using silica, prebuilt or RBA, the only way to get wick really clean is to soak and/or boil. That is more time consuming and much more hassle, for me, than quick dry-burn and rewick even if needed daily.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Im on a search for something that needs as little maintenance as possible. Re-wicking a coil every day with cotton is too much for me. If I wanted to mess with it every day, I would go back to cartos, because those only tasted good for the first day or so..

I know everyone swears by cotton now, but I dont have the time, patience, or desire to re-wick with cotton every day. So there must be something better, and my search will continue.

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
Im on a search for something that needs as little maintenance as possible. Re-wicking a coil every day with cotton is too much for me. If I wanted to mess with it every day, I would go back to cartos, because those only tasted good for the first day or so..

I know everyone swears by cotton now, but I dont have the time, patience, or desire to re-wick with cotton every day. So there must be something better, and my search will continue.

Same here. I use two strands of silica, doubled up, and pulled through the micro. Pictures here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/471568-micro-coil-silica.html

Let us know if you find something better.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA

The thing is...that if you did it everyday...you'd get really good at it and it wouldn't much matter. I've been doing this about 10 days now and i guess i've rewicked about 5 times. Its taking me about 45 seconds or so..maybe a minute and a half if i screw up the first rolling of cotton.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas

Same here. I use two strands of silica, doubled up, and pulled through the micro. Pictures here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/471568-micro-coil-silica.html

Let us know if you find something better.

The thing is...that if you did it everyday...you'd get really good at it and it wouldn't much matter. I've been doing this about 10 days now and i guess i've rewicked about 5 times. Its taking me about 45 seconds or so..maybe a minute and a half if i screw up the first rolling of cotton.

That's my point. After doing only a few cotton rewicks it is faster and much less hassle for me. I haven't ever vaped any juice that didn't gunk any coil and wick in a day or two. Depending on length of silica wick several minutes of dryburning doesn't always get the wick clean. Sometimes it took hot water rinse and occasionally boiling. When you can pull out cotton, dryburn for a few seconds, and rewick all in less than a couple of minute, which is less hassle? The lazy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread