Coil ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Hi just had a quick question.. I needed to know if a fused clapton coil running at .14 ohms is safe to run.. I normally do 6 wraps each that ohm out to like .3 but the deck is much too small and I could only do 5 wraps each. Any help on this is appreciated.

As long as your resistance falls within the devices operating range you are good to go. Should you approach that operating ceiling, the device should give you a resistance or atomizer error if it feels the resistance falls out of range.

With a regulated device the battery does not see the coil resistance, it only sees the requested power from the regulated circuit. As the battery voltage depletes with use, current draw from the battery increases to meet that power demand. Simple Current = Power/Voltage. Saying that, to determine the current draw on the batteries with a regulated device we need to use the operating wattage, the devices low voltage cut off and factor in the devices efficiency. To calculate that, take your power level, divide by the amount of batteries, divide by your devices low voltage cut off, and then divide that by the devices efficiency. 3.2 volts is the average low voltage cut off (some devices are even lower, some a little higher), and an average efficiency to use is 90%. So with a single battery device operating at 50 watts would be …

50 watts/1 battery/3.2 volts/0.9 = 17.3 amps

A dual battery device using the same parameters would be half that current draw 8.65 amps.

3.7 volts spec is the batteries Nominal Voltage, not the fully charge voltage.

Reactions: Dr. Seuss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread