Coil question

Status
Not open for further replies.

er767

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2012
nj
Hi all, I'm fairly new to vaping, and love it already. The only thing I can't stand is going through coils like crazy. I've been reading multiple posts on cleaning etc. My question is, once they start to leak, are they completely shot? I'm only getting a few days, if I'm lucky, out of a coil. I'm using an aero tank mini, an I clear 30, an aspire bdc, and a lotus. I don't want to keep buying coils are this rate, and can't stand when in the middle of the day, they just start gurgling etc...
Thanks for any advice.

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
Your coil, if it is new, old or rebuilt has nothing to do with gurgling. (This doesnt apply to rebuildable tanks, with those.. having too much or too little wick can cause gurgle)

You know you need to replace or rebuild a coil, only when you start getting burnt taste or less vape. This is only because the wick material inside the coil has gunked up with stuff (left over remnants of the flavoring) that hasnt burnt off or is caramelized.

Gurgle, normally means there is liquid trapped in the stem between the coil and the top of the drip tip. This can be cause either by bad o-ring, fake coils that are poorly cloned, or from condensation. The O-ring problem is easy to spot, are they damaged and do they seat properly? Dont buy cheap knockoff coils! And for the condensation issue.. always continue to suck air for a half a second to a second after you release the fire button.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I guess it's possible that your coils get so gunked up that they restrict air flow causing you to suck harder and draw excess liquid into the atomizing chamber. The only true fix is to use a cleaner liquid that doesn't load up your coils as fast.

Have you tried different voltages or different coil resistance (ohms) to see if either would help?

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
there is nothing about your coil, or how it works, that will cause it to do that. Except the way you are using it. When you change the coil, you are just giving the condensation caught in the chimney stem a place to be absorbed, that is why it makes the symptoms you are experiencing go away.

Adjust the way you vape, and you wont have this problme, IMO.

If you cant do it, by continuing to suck for a bit after you release the fire button, then when you get the gurgle, roil up a piece of napkin a bit, and slide it down the drip tip and chimney, slowly rotating it. If it comes back up totally soaked, do it again with a new piece.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
FLOODING/LEAKING
To fix a flooded atomizer take your tank off the battery and blow through the mouthpiece (with a paper towel under it). This will drain the extra eliquid.

When you inhale, take a long smooth draw vs a short sharp draw. This will prevent extra eliquid from being pulled into your coils and flooding it. Inhalation technique with an e-cigarette

Whenever you first sense that your atomizer is beginning to flood try this:
1. Open up the airflow so when you take a hit you are not pulling in as much juice into your coils (if your tank has airflow control) .
2. Raise your voltage or wattage if your battery allows you to do this. This will vaporize more eliquid.
3. Tip your battery up (and take a few hits). By tipping it up you will prevent more eliquid from being fed into the coils.

Give one or all of these a try.:)

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
An easier method, when the atty starts gurgling, is to turn the atty upside down, and blow through the bottom (holding a paper towel over the end).

Or use a q-tip.

I try not to stick my mouth to places where lots of ejuice might be, base of tanks is one of those places.

Q-tips dont always easily fit down chimneys :( Plus out and about, you can always get your hand on a napkin.... far easier than a q-tip.

polarbare

Oct 10, 2014
Texas
FLOODING/LEAKING
To fix a flooded atomizer take your tank off the battery and blow through the mouthpiece (with a paper towel under it). This will drain the extra eliquid.

When you inhale, take a long smooth draw vs a short sharp draw. This will prevent extra eliquid from being pulled into your coils and flooding it.

Whenever you first sense that your atomizer is beginning to flood try this:
1. Open up the airflow so when you take a hit you are not pulling in as much juice into your coils (if your tank has airflow control) .
2. Raise your voltage or wattage if your battery allows you to do this. This will vaporize more eliquid.
3. Tip your battery up (and take a few hits). By tipping it up you will prevent more eliquid from being fed into the coils.

Give one or all of these a try.:)

Learn from this - I wound up figuring it out on my own :) Most likely you are drawing too hard and fast (that was my problem at first). I see you have a nautilus, so you can adjust the airflow to a bigger hole to get more air in (but with larger airflow, less concentrated taste) to keep from flooding.

It takes a bit of trial and error to adjust your power vs airflow vs draw until you find the right technique. I tend to vape at lower power settings than most (about 5.5 watts with a 1.8 ohm coil) on the nautilus, as I really don't like anything scorched. Once I scorch the sucker (whether coil gunk or the wicks in the atomizer), the taste is horrible, and it's time for a new atomizer.

As an aside, this is what led me into doing rebuilds for the nautilus - I finally found a technique that works beautifully (will post up a thread once I get enough posts...)

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You have a nautilus! So do I, those things flood a lot! It's got nothing to do with your coil, you should be able to use that coil right up until it starts to taste bad.

Quick fix for gurgling nautilus - I'm going to try to describe this as best as I can:

1. Hold your tank horizontally, completely sideways, with the drip tip by your mouth and the 510 connection pointed away from you (does that make sense?)

2. Spin it so that the open airhole is facing downward

3. Get a napkin or tissue and hold it under the airhole

4. Blow into the drip tip. You should see liquid coming out of the airhole onto the napkin. Keep doing this until no liquid is coming out.

Also, when vaping a nautilus, it's best to hold it horizontally as much as you can. This may not be the way you're used to holding it, so it may take some getting used to, but it will help to prevent it from flooding.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
I am not a fan of tanks. I like the dippers and building my own coils. I clean them about once a week when I change my cotton wicking material. I get them hot and use an eye dropper to drop a little distilled water on them. That usually will clean off the carmalization. I never heard of coils in tanks going bad so quick unless you fry them with a two much voltage or watts. I ruined an Aspire when I first started hooking it up to a Hexohm on full voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread