Not open for further replies.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Hi peeps
Question!!!
I build coils and the resistance is never same as the Vape tool app or steam engine site...I am not talking about very small difference but like my coil reads 0.9ohm on one mod and 0.86 at another mod I have, but the vape tool and steam engine shows same, that it should be 0.74ohms
It's like one wrap difference when I try match the resistance
The vape tool shows a way to count the wraps
IMG_20201016_203530.jpg

But even with that way to measure still I don't get correct resistance....
I also checked the legs of the coil but seems they can't make that difference anyway.....is it possible that has to do with the coils material??? In my case is kanthal a1 or however it's called hahaha but I mean maybe it's not the same quality ?

Anyone else have same difference??? It's not I get crazy about it cause I guess not matter much but just curious why....

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    kanthal a1 or however it's called hahaha but I mean maybe it's not the same quality ?

I never have that major difference from what steam engine shows, using regular round wire kanthal or nichrome or SS.

Could be the quality of your kanthal. If you can, try a different brand of kanthal and see what happens. If you are using a kanthal that is rebranded for a vape brand, try buying from a place that sells resistance wire, not vape gear. Like here in the USA, we can buy from Temco Industrial. They may not be cost effective for you to buy from since you are in Greece. I sure there is a similar place to buy from in the EU.

The difference between one mod from another is most likely because one mod is WAY off in it's calculation. Nothing you can do with that. But try cleaning the 510 connection very well on both the mod and the atomizer.

Reactions: Superuser187

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I never have that major difference from what steam engine shows, using regular round wire kanthal or nichrome or SS.

Could be the quality of your kanthal. If you can, try a different brand of kanthal and see what happens. If you are using a kanthal that is rebranded for a vape brand, try buying from a place that sells resistance wire, not vape gear. Like here in the USA, we can buy from Temco Industrial. They may not be cost effective for you to buy from since you are in Greece. I sure there is a similar place to buy from in the EU.

The difference between one mod from another is most likely because one mod is WAY off in it's calculation. Nothing you can do with that. But try cleaning the 510 connection very well on both the mod and the atomizer.

U change profile pics a lot and I can't handle that :p

• Agree
    Reactions: BNEAT

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    Moot differences with 0.9 on one mod and 0.86 on another, also the calculator on SE doesn't take into account the added resistance of the mod/deck etc.

On a regulated device I build for what fit's the chamber/airflow and don't pay any attention at all to resistance of the coils.

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
    Feb 1, 2012
    Irwin, Pennsylvania
    I've seen changes like that due to how the wire is being trapped with the post screw. Sometimes the post screw is not flat or the wire is only half trapped by the post screw or both. I've seen a loose post (positive) cause ohms to be off. I've seen loose 510 pin on atty cause ohm changes as well as dirty 510 pin and 510 threads. Any and all combinations and what others have stated.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Hi peeps
    Question!!!
    I build coils and the resistance is never same as the Vape tool app or steam engine site...I am not talking about very small difference but like my coil reads 0.9ohm on one mod and 0.86 at another mod I have, but the vape tool and steam engine shows same, that it should be 0.74ohms
    It's like one wrap difference when I try match the resistance
    The vape tool shows a way to count the wraps
    View attachment 912449
    But even with that way to measure still I don't get correct resistance....
    I also checked the legs of the coil but seems they can't make that difference anyway.....is it possible that has to do with the coils material??? In my case is kanthal a1 or however it's called hahaha but I mean maybe it's not the same quality ?

Anyone else have same difference??? It's not I get crazy about it cause I guess not matter much but just curious why....

When you use Steam Engine, do you put in a "Leg Length"? Or just use the Default of 5mm?

You can Also take what Steam Engine calculates as "Resistance Wire Length" for a given coil, trim a piece of wire to that Length, then mount it to your Atomizer in a Big Loop.

Then test the Resistance on a couple of Mods.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread