Wraps and resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
Hi there

I have been reading up about the Law of Ohms and it seems kind of complicated for me as I am a Political Science graduate and I've always avoided math and anything to do with numbers. :D

All I want to know is how many wires it would take, the diameter, leg length, etc. in order to reach the target resistance. I found some nice tools online but in most of them I can only choose "Kanthal", for example, rather than claptons or fused claptons.

The wire I have right now is a Fused Clapton 24GA + 32GA and I like wrapping on a 3mm diameter but it wasn't good in my OBS Engine as a dual coil setup because it read 0.20 and took a lot of time to heat up even on high wattage values and when it did, it really overheated my tank and I just didn't like that.

I recently built a single coil from it for my Ammit, 6 wraps on 2.5mm diameter and it is reading at 0.41ohms which is perfect for me ince I prefer lower wattages (30W to 45W), and I'd like to know the number of wraps and diameter I should use for my OBS Engine for a target of 0.45ohms, for instance.

I have an Android app called vape Tool and if I have used it correctly, it says that I should do 7 wraps on 2.5mm for a resistance of 0.463. I don't know how to measure the coil spacing and legs length, though, so I just do it randomly.

Thanks guys!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi there

I have been reading up about the Law of Ohms and it seems kind of complicated for me as I am a Political Science graduate and I've always avoided math and anything to do with numbers. :D

All I want to know is how many wires it would take, the diameter, leg length, etc. in order to reach the target resistance. I found some nice tools online but in most of them I can only choose "Kanthal", for example, rather than claptons or fused claptons.

The wire I have right now is a Fused Clapton 24GA + 32GA and I like wrapping on a 3mm diameter but it wasn't good in my OBS Engine as a dual coil setup because it read 0.20 and took a lot of time to heat up even on high wattage values and when it did, it really overheated my tank and I just didn't like that.

I recently built a single coil from it for my Ammit, 6 wraps on 2.5mm diameter and it is reading at 0.41ohms which is perfect for me ince I prefer lower wattages (30W to 45W), and I'd like to know the number of wraps and diameter I should use for my OBS Engine for a target of 0.45ohms, for instance.

I have an Android app called Vape Tool and if I have used it correctly, it says that I should do 7 wraps on 2.5mm for a resistance of 0.463. I don't know how to measure the coil spacing and legs length, though, so I just do it randomly.

Thanks guys!

First, I'd recommend using Steam Engine online for your coil calculations. It can handle all sorts of configurations and materials. Now, when you say you want a target of 0.45 ohm for duals, do you mean with simple round, or fused Clapton? Fused Claptons are just plain a lot of metal to heat up, so you get a lag at first then hot at the end of the draw. That's actually why my Clapton builds are SS 316L for TC. With TC, I can have a very short high preheat to get it to temp in a second, and then have a steady warm vape through the whole draw. No burning hot at the end.

If you do want just plain round in the Engine, Steam Engine will give you your wraps, and a simple coil will have virtually no delay in reaching temp, so no need for preheat.

Reactions: KenD

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
Thank you for your reply. I couldn't find the Fused Clapton profile in Steam Engine, unfortunately. And yes, the Fused Clapton wire is the only one I have on me at the moment. Can't I use pre-heat in my DNA mod without having to use TC coils by choosing Nickel200, for instance? That's the only issue I have with Fused Claptons in a dual coil setup whereas it is nearly perfect in single coil mode.

Can you advise on the number of wraps and diameter I should use for my OBS using Fused Claptons? Perhaps 5 wraps on 2.5mm?

Reactions: Eskie

panxzz

Jan 26, 2017
Thank you for your reply. I couldn't find the Fused Clapton profile in Steam Engine, unfortunately. And yes, the Fused Clapton wire is the only one I have on me at the moment. Can't I use pre-heat in my DNA mod without having to use TC coils by choosing Nickel200, for instance? That's the only issue I have with Fused Claptons in a dual coil setup whereas it is nearly perfect in single coil mode.

Can you advise on the number of wraps and diameter I should use for my OBS using Fused Claptons? Perhaps 5 wraps on 2.5mm?
Steam engine won't be able to calculate a fused clapton for you, there are way too many variables involved.

I can tell you that right now in my OBS I am using dual fused claptons with a core of 28 gauge and wraps of 32 ga (or even 36 ga) and it will come out to right around .3 - .35 ohm on 6 wraps at 2.5mm.

Reactions: TarekElsakka

panxzz

Jan 26, 2017
TBH it's just going to take some trial-and-error. I would say go for it, 24 and 32 with 5 wraps on 2.5mm should come somewhere near .3 I would guess... Just make sure you are being safe and measure the resistance AFTER you have them mounted and BEFORE you try firing them on a battery.

I've also found that loosening one of the screws holding the coil down can slightly increase resistance (just make sure you don't see it glowing inside the screw hole), and tightening the screws down will decrease resistance.

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
Well I went ahead and did it and it is reading 0.17ohms, lol. I am vaping at 56W and the vapor production is decent and flavor is good. Am I safe vaping at this low resistance? I'm using an IPV8 mod and LGHG2 batteries.

EDIT: I changed the power mode to Joule (TC - Ni200) with a max temp of 540F and vaping at 56.5J at the moment. It seems to actually work.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
@TarekElsakka You can calculate the target resistance of a clapton using steam-engine. In a clapton only the core wire carries current, so just put in the numbers for the core and that will give you a good estimation. If you want accurate use the wire wizard, though you may also get a headache :).

On a regulated mod the coil resistance is essentially irrelevant in terms of battery amp draw. In short the LG HG2 is good for 60 watts per battery. The import factors for your coil are surface area and coil mass assuming you have a high powered mod.

Have a read of these two articles.

Ohms Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum
Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
@TarekElsakka You can calculate the target resistance of a clapton using steam-engine. In a clapton only the core wire carries current, so just put in the numbers for the core and that will give you a good estimation. If you want accurate use the wire wizard, though you may also get a headache :).

On a regulated mod the coil resistance is essentially irrelevant in terms of battery amp draw. In short the LG HG2 is good for 60 watts per battery. The import factors for your coil are surface area and coil mass assuming you have a high powered mod.

Have a read of these two articles.

Ohms Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum
Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

Now, this is what happens when you don't read to the end of a thread before composing your answer. I just took a screenshot of wire wizard to show how it can be used for Clapton and even fused Clapton (more than one core wire). Here it is with default settings so I don't feel like I wasted any time:lol:
wire wizard.JPG

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Nice one Eksie, sorry if I Trumped you. I only use claptons in a regulated device and I try to keep the resistance relatively high, so super accurate resistance modelling is unnecessary for me anyway.

I'm pretty much the same in regulated use. I've also gone to using all these bigger builds in TC anyway. IME, in power mode they take too long to ramp up and get too hot at the end of a draw. Staying with 316L I can get a nice preheat to reach temp quickly, then keep the vape warm all the way through the draw without getting way too hot. It's dramatically improved flavor for me from these larger builds. My Limitless+ was sort of a novelty tank for me in wattage mode with Claptons (that large chamber just doesn't favor a simple round wire) then I went to TC and all of a sudden real flavor popped up. That and a lot of cloud, but I really wanted the flavor, not a white out.

And not to worry. I get Trumped every day now when I read the paper. I'm thinking about where I should go and ask for asylum. :facepalm:

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
Thank you for your replies, guys, I truly appreciate the information. @Eskie That's exactly what I am looking for, bigger builds with less ramp up time due to TC (pre-heat and max temp), but for the life of me I could not find any SS Claptons over here. There are some SS316 and 316L wires in the market but they're really thin, kind of like 26-gauge kanthal or something. I may give them a shot next because I prefer the 0.40 - 0.70 ohms range.

Somehow the temperature control (Ni200) is working with my Fused Clapton build. I have no idea how that is happening, but I am fairly sure it is. I am vaping at 65 - 70 Joules and it gets cooler at the end of a long draw.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Are you making these yourself? Easiest build I can think of to start with would be a 26 or 28G SS core with a 30 or 32G wrap. I say this because those are sizes that are reasonable to work with. If you're good spinning wire (which I'm not) you can use 38 or even 40G for the wrap.

What are those fused Claptons built from that they work in Ni mode? If they are not Ni, you should be getting kicked right back into wattage/power mode.

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
@Eskie No, I buy spools of ready-made wires because I don't know how to spin wires myself. I may have been imagining it, but I believe that it worked in Joule mode on my IPV8 but just tried it on my DNA mod and it kicked me back to wattage mode, so I am pretty sure I was just imagining it worked on the IPV. :D

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
OK, that makes sense. Sorta. No, it won't work in TC, and Ni isn't really a great way to build the core of a Clapton. If you have to buy it premade obviously you're limited to the market. I would suggest SS wire as much as possible as it works well for both TC and wattage use. As to what to look for, I would say if you could find some 28/32 Clapton wire it should work quite well in the Engine. right now I have dual SS Claptons, 26/32 6 wrap coming in ~0.25 ohm and running in TC beautifully.

Reactions: TarekElsakka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread