Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
hi kids!
I need some advice. I’m ordering an OBS Engine Nano plus some premade coils as well a coil to build my own.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading, watching videos and playing with Steam Engine and feel pretty good about having at least a basic idea of what I need to do.

What I can’t seem to find is whether or how different wire configurations and gauge effect flavor. I definitely want more flavor than clouds although I do enjoy a nice warm dense vape as well. I normally use a .4 or .2 ohm coil at about 45-60 Watts or between 390-420 F depending on the coil.

I see Claptons, Fused, Aliens, Staggered Fused, Chainlink & on & on. There are so many my heads spinning lol! So my question is is there a go to standard coil to use for the “best” flavor know that that is subjective that is also easy enough for a novice to work with.

Thanks for all your help & advice as always xoxo

sara

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
AVS, Advanced Vape Supply, is a great site with excellent wire and prebuilt coils, Order a spool of 26g ss 316l and a sample pack of coils. I highly recommend the tri core fc coils. Try code AVS, might still be able to get 20% off.

Yep that was one of the sites I was looking at since I’ve seen it recommended here before. That’s exactly the gauge I was planning on getting from using Steam Engine. Sounds like a great idea to get a sample pack in addition to the spool.

But that’s my question - which one? They come in Clapton Fused Ribbon Flat etc......

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Yep that was one of the sites I was looking at since I’ve seen it recommended here before. That’s exactly the gauge I was planning on getting from using Steam Engine. Sounds like a great idea to get a sample pack in addition to the spool.

But that’s my question - which one? They come in Clapton Fused Ribbon Flat etc......
Give me minute, brb.

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
All 316L, wait till you have more experience before trying ss 430.
All 6 wraps 3mm 316L:
tri braid
twisted fc 32gx3/40
triple core fc 30g/x3/38g
staggered fc
clapton coil 28/36
fused clapton 26gx2/36
fused clapton 28gx2/34
quad core fc 30x4/40
tidal
twisted 26g
Since you use tc you might try a spool of both 24g and 26g. I order thinner, higher # gauge wires because I don't use tc. They have better ramp in power mode.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
All 316L, wait till you have more experience before trying ss 430.
All 6 wraps 3mm 316L:
tri braid
twisted fc 32gx3/40
triple core fc 30g/x3/38g
staggered fc
clapton coil 28/36
fused clapton 26gx2/36
fused clapton 28gx2/34
quad core fc 30x4/40
tidal
twisted 26g
Since you use tc you might try a spool of both 24g and 26g. I order thinner, higher # gauge wires because I don't use tc. They have better ramp in power mode.

Thank you so much Letitia for taking the time to check those out for me! I really appreciate that.

Have a great weekend sara

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have also found that exotic wires don't do much for me. With that said, at the type of wattages I use, I highly doubt that I need any extra metal in my build. When I started wrapping coils, I started with SS 28 gauge wire. It's thin enough to be easy to work with and I find I like the flavor of SS coils. However, if you are going to be sub0hming and want more flavor/higher wattage, perhaps starting with a thicker gauge might work best for you. Basically, I got a set of different resistance SS and just started trying things. There's a lot of experimentation to be done, though, before you hit on your "sweet spot" as it were. I think Letitia has given you a great starting point as well. You will still need to experiment quite a bit probably, until you find the build that is "right" for you. Best of luck,

Anna

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I have also found that exotic wires don't do much for me. With that said, at the type of wattages I use, I highly doubt that I need any extra metal in my build. When I started wrapping coils, I started with SS 28 gauge wire. It's thin enough to be easy to work with and I find I like the flavor of SS coils. However, if you are going to be sub0hming and want more flavor/higher wattage, perhaps starting with a thicker gauge might work best for you. Basically, I got a set of different resistance SS and just started trying things. There's a lot of experimentation to be done, though, before you hit on your "sweet spot" as it were. I think Letitia has given you a great starting point as well. You will still need to experiment quite a bit probably, until you find the build that is "right" for you. Best of luck,

Anna

Thanks Anna! I’m excited to get going even though I have some trepidation of my hands being able to work on small items. I have a slight tremble occasionally from a neuro problem but hell if I don’t try it I’ll never know.

sara

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sara, I have a fine motor tremor, and it slowed me down in the beginning, but I got used to things, including bracing my arms, it's probably going to suck a bit at first (it did for me) but with enough patience you'll get it down....

May I highly suggest rayon? I like it because it's easy to work with, but it also requires less frequent rewicking and although my wicking has gotten rather fast (as I've gotten some RTAs in my rotation now pretty steadily) at the beginning it was SO nice not to rewick as frequently as with cotton.

If you do decide to try it, let me know. .I'd be happy to send you some to try before you buy it, if you'd like? Or most rayon folks use Sally's Graham cellucotton (just be sure you get 100% rayon, there is a cotton version you don't want that one). Can easily be picked up online at Amazon or any Sally's location.

Rayon shrinks when wet, so you want to make sure it's pretty tight in the coil (requires a little force to "move" the cotton, and then thin out the tails some and trim. I actually do my thinning/trimming after I wet it with e-liquid, it's just easer to deal with and tuck in to wherever is needed on your atomizer.

LOL, my first coil build required my husband's help and lots of ECF cliffnotes, but we got it vaping. It's not an atomizer I routinely use, but it was a stupid complicated one ("the Russian, v 100" I think it was called) and I made every possible mistake, so building after that got a LOT easier. It'll be fine, you'll see. And plenty of folks to help out as you build!

Good luck,

Anna

Reactions: Letitia

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Sara, I have a fine motor tremor, and it slowed me down in the beginning, but I got used to things, including bracing my arms, it's probably going to suck a bit at first (it did for me) but with enough patience you'll get it down....

May I highly suggest rayon? I like it because it's easy to work with, but it also requires less frequent rewicking and although my wicking has gotten rather fast (as I've gotten some RTAs in my rotation now pretty steadily) at the beginning it was SO nice not to rewick as frequently as with cotton.

If you do decide to try it, let me know. .I'd be happy to send you some to try before you buy it, if you'd like? Or most rayon folks use Sally's Graham cellucotton (just be sure you get 100% rayon, there is a cotton version you don't want that one). Can easily be picked up online at Amazon or any Sally's location.

Rayon shrinks when wet, so you want to make sure it's pretty tight in the coil (requires a little force to "move" the cotton, and then thin out the tails some and trim. I actually do my thinning/trimming after I wet it with e-liquid, it's just easer to deal with and tuck in to wherever is needed on your atomizer.

LOL, my first coil build required my husband's help and lots of ECF cliffnotes, but we got it vaping. It's not an atomizer I routinely use, but it was a stupid complicated one ("the Russian, v 100" I think it was called) and I made every possible mistake, so building after that got a LOT easier. It'll be fine, you'll see. And plenty of folks to help out as you build!

Good luck,

Anna

Thanks for sharing that Anna. I’ve seen you advocate for rayon previously (I read all topics even if I’m not currently working on it!) so I think I will try it out.

I’ll pick some up on Amazon. They love me lol! I’m not in any rush since I ordered from Fastech and it’ll be awhile until I get them. I actually ordered 2 lol! One black and one stainless. Couldn’t decide which one I liked better ha ha ha!

I’ll make sure to order that rayon you recommended and when I do start building if I have any wicking questions I’ll be hitting you up!

Thanks again for your awesome help ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread