Coil / Wick Materia specifics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
Here's something I figure could help out some folks:

When we're shopping around, we a billion different wicking materials and types of wire.

1. What is the real difference between Kanthal and NiChrome?

2. What are the positives and negatives, beyond ohm's, of using different gauge wiring (sturdiness, number of wraps, ect ect)

3. When building a regular coil (wrapped around a wick), what is the best gauge to use to keep to a normal ohm?

4. When building a microcoil, what is regarded as the best guage to use while keeping a result above 1.8ohm's? (for normal batteries.)

5. What are the major differences between Ecowool and Silica?

6. Concerning Silica:

- What diameter of silica works best for normal coil wrapping, and then for microcoils?
- And what diameter of microcoil would work best with that recommendation?
- What is the best preperation for silica? Torching? Boiling? Alochol? What?
- If you were to own a torch where you just pop a butane lighter in it (the most advanced that I would go), would the butane leave any residue on the silica?

7. Concerning Ecowool:

- What diameter of silica works best for normal coil wrapping, and then for microcoils?
- What are the differences between Hollow, Silica Threaded, and Cotton Threaded EcoWool? (And the positives and negatives)
- What are the best preparations for EcoWool?

Guess that might just be about it.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Here's something I figure could help out some folks:

When we're shopping around, we a billion different wicking materials and types of wire.

1. What is the real difference between Kanthal and NiChrome?

2. What are the positives and negatives, beyond ohm's, of using different gauge wiring (sturdiness, number of wraps, ect ect)

3. When building a regular coil (wrapped around a wick), what is the best gauge to use to keep to a normal ohm?

4. When building a microcoil, what is regarded as the best guage to use while keeping a result above 1.8ohm's? (for normal batteries.)

5. What are the major differences between Ecowool and Silica?

6. Concerning Silica:

- What is the best preperation for silica? Torching? Boiling? Alochol? What?
- If you were to own a torch where you just pop a butane lighter in it (the most advanced that I would go), would the butane leave any residue on the silica?

7. Concerning Ecowool:

- What are the differences between Hollow, Silica Threaded, and Cotton Threaded EcoWool? (And the positives and negatives)
- What are the best preparations for EcoWool?

Guess that might just be about it.

1 nichrome has a lower heat index will usually heat up faster but burn up quicker, many people report a very strange or metallic taste if not properly torched and pretreated, this has made kanthal preferred by many - a quick preheat and usually any strange flavor is gone

2 on a typical regulated battery using the same resistance -1.8ohms as an example- it takes more low gauge wire to reach a high resistance and more time to heat up correctly. resulting in a very high lag time. the gauge of wire is typically lower gauge for low resistance and higher gauge for higher resistance so the amount of wire can stay reasonable for proper response time. this will change when using mechanicals or micro coils to some degree.

3 for 1.1 to 1.4 i use 30g for 1.5 to 2 ohms i use 32g to keep the amount of wire down to a minimum, i like 4 or 5 wraps on a normal coil.

4 others will have to answer i dont do micros but it is my understanding a very high resistance micro will have a pretty good lag time heating up. i do not enjoy the extra throat hit micro coils add to the vapor.

5 ekowool is braided silica woven into a tube, silica strand is woven into a solid rope. i get better results using plain silica rope myself

kind of hard to use silica for microcoils because it doesnt like being bent,twisted and generally abused the way you drag cotton into a micro. also it is hard to gauge the coil to perfectly fit the silica rope whereas cotton can be infinitely adjusted.

"Difference between Hollow ( hollow tube) , Silica Threaded (silica rope core) , and Cotton Threaded EcoWool"? (cotton core)

ekowool sometimes has a wicking problem and adding a core to the tube provides better wicking, the type of core will depend on taste preference.

for the average dripper i use 2 or 3 mm silica doubled over.

for silica based products the cleaner and pure the better, high grade products usually require very little pretreatment, but just torching it will help remove impurities. and there should be no residue from any torch.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
As you well know...vaping is personal preference. Simple as that. There are a ton of videos and a ton of threads that you've already been involved with that cover everything you've asked.
For me...a 1.2 ohm microcoil using .28ga kanthal on a 3/32 drill bit (about 8 wraps) using cotton for a wick works best. I hate silica, hemp, ecowool and everything else compared to cotton. Nichrome sucks compared to kanthal in my opinion. It has a metal taste to me. .28 ga kanthal gives me a very sturdy, stable coil that can last through many many re wicks. 1.2 ohms in my kayfun or Reomizer2 gives me the vape I like. On my Trident V2 or my Nimbus, I like to be closer to 1 ohm. I don't like micro coils and I don't really like anything below .8 ohms on anything. I've sub ohmed...hate it. Dual and quad coils...hate it. Do I spend all my time trying to make duals and sub ohms work for me? No. I use what works for me.

Does that help you? No. I torch my kanthal....you will try to go around that step because you don't want a torch. I boil my cotton. You won't boil cotton because it's too much of a pain in the rear. I have a device that will supply proper power to my builds. You have a broken spinner. I have a screwdriver...you don't want to have to get a screwdriver. I followed the advice people gave me. You are far superior to all who participate on this forum.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
Well, for whatever reason, I do think rebuilding period is a bunch of tomfoolery, there's no excuse for products to be so bad in the vaping world that one has to rebuild in order to simply get a clean vape, but I'm doing it.

And I plan on doing what I reasonably can. I recently found a vendor who pre-boiled organic cotton, and I'm ordering that. I'll probably be ordering all three gauges of Kanthal. I'll be ordering a bunch of silica, and a bunch of Ecowool, both the cotton braided and silica braided. I'll be soaking my atomizer in alcohol. If I can get my hands on a drill bit, I'll do it (I don't see why vendors don't carry them, it's ridiculous). I may end up buying a torch. I have some money now and I do plan on trying things.

I just don't want plop down money on something that really will be useless because I could spend that money on a good juice. If I can work around something, I will. I don't even own a pot! If simply building a microcoil and firing it does the same thing as torching, count me in.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I've always kinda wondered why you seem to be able to taste "cotton dust" or "socks" or "silica fiber" or "drywall" or "wicky tastes" in something that is thousands of times cleaner than a cigarette no matter how bad it works but you never seem to complain about the insecticides or manure or dirt or field worker sweat or spit or bug crap or worm casings or anything in all those cigarettes you smoke. Cigarettes kill taste buds and you openly suck em down like there's no tomorrow. So very strange.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
If you're interested in trying a micro-coil and you want to use silica (or any version of silica-based wicking), I would recommend wrapping your coil on a 2mm (or 3/32") jig. I believe most of those little eye-glass repair / jeweler's screw drivers are about that, as well as round toothpicks. If you get much smaller, you'll want to switch to cotton as silica (braided or otherwise) can't keep up (can't wick fast enough).

ADDIT: This is more the case with low resistance coils; but may be true at around 1.8Ω as well.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Well, for whatever reason, I do think rebuilding period is a bunch of tomfoolery, there's no excuse for products to be so bad in the vaping world that one has to rebuild in order to simply get a clean vape, but I'm doing it.

You know why man?

simple

people go oh i will deal with it or fix it myself and keep buying crap - plain and simple - the more people that move on and vote with their wallet the sooner the cheaper products will be built correctly.

but NOOOOOPE just like you did - people go oh i will rewick it or rewire it or adjust this and that, how many did you buy so far?

all they see is the bottom line
you buy
we make
who cares................

always remember that most of the better rebuildables are designed and built by people, who, just like you, have had enough of the cheap crap not working right and they wanted better.

i build genesis wicks that perform flawlessly for 6-8 weeks - find me a clearo that can do that.

Last edited:

HawaiiVPR

Moved On
Oct 19, 2013
808 State
Like owning a home or car, people like to rebuild/modify what they have to make it better, its a simple concept that applies to many other things, ecigs is one, computer hardware is another, fishing poles, mopeds, toys, whatever.

Don't want to modify anything, that's fine too, but don't expect the same results as someone who did, then complain that the product is garbage and people using it have no concept on quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread