coil wraps and whats the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veezy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
California
I was told by a local vape shop that the less coils the more vapor but less flavor. also they told me the more wraps you have the less vapor you produce but gain a big boost in flavor is this true? and why? I understand why less vapor because of increase in resistance just confused on how it can effect the flavor. im using a 28 gauge kanthal on a genesis style atty i doa 3/2 wrap i produce alot of vapor but now im noticing that my flavor is not there as it was when I first got my hybrid. wanted your input before i wrap more coils like 5/4 thanks guys

Pathology

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Vienna, IL
I've not found that to be the case for my RBA's. More wraps typically = more resistance. But not much of a difference between flavor/vapor. You'll get a difference depending on volts/resistance, but more wraps doesn't necessarily mean it'll change...just means you're adding more resistance and you'll have to adjust your volts according to your taste for that particular resistance. Now if you're on a fixed voltage mod/mechanical...then yeah, the resistance matters greatly because you may end up with it too hot/cold for your liking in said resistance.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I've not found that to be the case for my RBA's. More wraps typically = more resistance. But not much of a difference between flavor/vapor. You'll get a difference depending on volts/resistance, but more wraps doesn't necessarily mean it'll change...just means you're adding more resistance and you'll have to adjust your volts according to your taste for that particular resistance. Now if you're on a fixed voltage mod/mechanical...then yeah, the resistance matters greatly because you may end up with it too hot/cold for your liking in said resistance.

This is a good answer. For fixed voltage there's big differences since the number of wraps changes how many watts you'll be vaping at. I've been personally curious on how the number of wraps effects the vape at the same wattage, which be be much subtler differences. This thread inspired me to post that Q in the RBA section. The thread is here

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408535

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

USinchains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
The Terrordrome, FL
www.myspace.com
Change the word coils to air and reverse the scenario, then his suggestion actually makes sense. More air = more vapor less flavor, less air = less vapor more throat hit and maybe flavor. Flavor is subjective and I find it best in the middle ground.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread