Not open for further replies.

danibanani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Hello, NT family!

I bought the coiling gizmo to thread the Reo and I love my NT in the Reo, so many flavors that my other mods just didn't bring out.

I like my coils to be in the 1.2 ohms range.

Do I use the first smallest or the second smallest rod to get the results? I believe I do 11 wraps, but I can't remember on which Gizmo wire.

TIA for any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Dani

PS and OT- I just found out that one of my very best friends (she just turned 40 and has been trying to have a baby for a long, long time) is naming her baby after my middle name! She told me yesterday on the phone on my way to school. My eyes were all red and puffy for having such a nice cry, I was so touched. Everyone thought I was upset, but they were happy tears! What an honor! xoxoxo. She's in her second trimester. Love her to pieces.

Nanny22

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Michigan
I don't know the answer to your question, dani, I have the gizmo and have never used it! Someone will know, though, and answer you soon.

I wanted to wish the best to your friend! Imagine, a sweet little baby named Banani! JK!:laugh:
Seriously, such a touching gesture - and she's got a lot to live up to! Hope everything goes well.

danibanani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I wanted to wish the best to your friend! Imagine, a sweet little baby named Banani! JK!:laugh:
Seriously, such a touching gesture - and she's got a lot to live up to! Hope everything goes well.

Aww, thank you, Nanny! I feel so touched. She wants me to be in the delivery room, too. I've never seen the actual birth of a baby, so that is exciting as well. I feel so, so privileged and special right now. I can't wait to get ahold of that baby girl and not smell all smoky!!!

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
You use the 2nd smallest, it's about 1/16 of an inch. Number of wraps depends on what ga wire you are using. A lot of wraps take longer to heat up and less wraps heat up fast. I try to stay in the 6 to 8 wrap range to hit my chosen ohms and will change the wire gauge I'm using to get there. 28 ga 7/8 wraps gives me about a 1 ohm coil

Here's a handy calculator: Pick your gauge, single or dual, target ohms, and ID. 1/16 is .0625.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

danibanani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
You use the 2nd smallest, it's about 1/16 of an inch. Number of wraps depends on what ga wire you are using. A lot of wraps take longer to heat up and less wraps heat up fast. I try to stay in the 6 to 8 wrap range to hit my chosen ohms and will change the wire gauge I'm using to get there. 28 ga 7/8 wraps gives me about a 1 ohm coil

Here's a handy calculator: Pick your gauge, single or dual, target ohms, and ID. 1/16 is .0625.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
Very cool website! It told me 9 wraps. Super helpful post. Will bookmark this thread for future use.

Do you know the smallest rod's diameter?

Edited to add: Where did you come up with the leg length?

Thanks,
Dani

Last edited:

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
I don't know how to multi-quote, so I'll try this:

Beast said, 1/16 is .0625.

How did he get that number?

Thanks,
Dani

If you hold a 1/16" drill bit up to the second smallest rod it is about the same size. But there is a smaller one that comes with it, and it is smaller than that about 1/32" or 1/64".

Newportlocal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
Orange County,Calif.
If you wrap a coil with a given number of wraps of 28 gauge on a given diameter rod and you get .8 and want it a little more ohms when you meter it next time add a coil or two. If it is higher than you would like subtract a coil or two. I just use a mini screwdriver for mine and ocassionally a 5/64 drill bit for micro coils. You will be fine. Whatever you wrap it on just see how it meters for a given number of wraps then add or subtract a few coils the next time to get what you want. If you make dual coils try to have the same number of wraps on both coils. Your ohm reading will be half what a single coil would be. In other words if you wrap a single coil that meters 1.6 ohms and put two coils on it will be .8 ohms. Hope that helps. You will get the hang of this quickly. Promise.:)

danibanani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
If you wrap a coil with a given number of wraps of 28 gauge on a given diameter rod and you get .8 and want it a little more ohms when you meter it next time add a coil or two. If it is higher than you would like subtract a coil or two. I just use a mini screwdriver for mine and ocassionally a 5/64 drill bit for micro coils. You will be fine. Whatever you wrap it on just see how it meters for a given number of wraps then add or subtract a few coils the next time to get what you want. If you make dual coils try to have the same number of wraps on both coils. Your ohm reading will be half what a single coil would be. In other words if you wrap a single coil that meters 1.6 ohms and put two coils on it will be .8 ohms. Hope that helps. You will get the hang of this quickly. Promise.:)

Thank you, another great idea!

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I don't know how to multi-quote, so I'll try this:

Beast said, 1/16 is .0625.

How did he get that number?

Thanks,
Dani
to multi quote; click the box on the right of reply with quote (has the quote marks and a + sign) for all but the last post you want to quote, then hit reply with quote on the last one.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Even though the boxes says 1.5 many people found they actually had 1/16 rods when put a caliper to it.

I actually ordered a caliper (versus taking one from work :lol:) today to "fine tune" my coil winding, but I swear my second smallest rod is the exact same size as a 1/16" bit when placed flat end to flat end. Will post back here when I actually get to put the caliper to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread