Coils burning out too quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedudeist

Apr 22, 2018
Im using a smok Devilkin. I've had it at 70 watts, using Q4(60-80) coils.
They're burning out at the rate of 1 coil per day, its way too quick, they used to last me 3 days or even more, this is ridiculous. I brought it to the shop, but i wasnt given any sound advice. Another weird thing that ive noticed is that the vape..is well, giving me less vapor per hit as opposed to before? its hard to explain. But almost as if theres less pressure. Like, instead of the heat focusing on the liquid, its mostly going into the coil? Less taste when that happens.
Also, it seems to have less flavor as i use it, having to unscrew the cap, shake it up a bit and put it back on...its weird, i had the same thing when i had a breeze 2. Didnt think the same problem would arise from the new one. Wondering if this is whats somehow causing the premature coil burning.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Thedudeist

Apr 22, 2018
this is my 3rd coil from a different sitting that this has happened to, i got it from an official store. I take a few puffs, then i get cotton flavor, take off the cap, its back to the liquid that im supposed to be tasting, rinse and repeat. i think this is why theyre burning so quickly. i picked up the wattage thinking it may not be burning the liquid fast enough, but its hardly changed a thing.

• Optimistic

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
this is my 3rd coil from a different sitting that this has happened to, i got it from an official store. I take a few puffs, then i get cotton flavor, take off the cap, its back to the liquid that im supposed to be tasting, rinse and repeat. i think this is why theyre burning so quickly. i picked up the wattage thinking it may not be burning the liquid fast enough, but its hardly changed a thing.

When I used a baby beast tank, the same thing happened to me when I got a batch of fake coils. They wouldn't wick the juice right and the vape quality went out the window. I was replacing coils daily. Flavor was sub par, and about 1/2 the vapor was being produced. I think you may have gotten some bad coils.

• Optimistic

Thedudeist

Apr 22, 2018
When I used a baby beast tank, the same thing happened to me when I got a batch of fake coils. They wouldn't wick the juice right and the vape quality went out the window. I was replacing coils daily. Flavor was sub par, and about 1/2 the vapor was being produced. I think you may have gotten some bad coils.
same thing the shop dudes were telling me, but having this happen repeatedly is just too weird, its the third coil this has happened to. And i bought them seperatedly, albeit at the same place..

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
same thing the shop dudes were telling me, but having this happen repeatedly is just too weird, its the third coil this has happened to. And i bought them seperatedly, albeit at the same place..
It is not unhear of for a reputable place to get sold a bad batch from a distributor from time to time. Maybe buy a couple from another source and wait a while before buying any more from that place to see if they sell all the bad ones and get some better ones in stock.

• Agree

Thedudeist

Apr 22, 2018
It is not unhear of for a reputable place to get sold a bad batch from a distributor from time to time. Maybe buy a couple from another source and wait a while before buying any more from that place to see if they sell all the bad ones and get some better ones in stock.
...alright, ill try that. its truly a headache, these things are eating my money.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
...alright, ill try that. its truly a headache, these things are eating my money.
I know how it feels. I got so tired of buying drop in coils that I switched to rebuildable tanks and drippers. I now build my own coils and it literally costs me cents per coil. And the coils I make can last months of daily use. If you dont want to build the coils, you can buy them pre made for quite cheap. They do take a bit more know how, but it is easy after a couple of tries.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Priming is essential to coils, and some coils even need the cotton poked in a few judicious places with a needle to loosen up the coil. That may be the case for your coils.

Priming 101: Put a drop of juice inside the coil, and then fill the tank. Let it sit for a bit, depending on the hugeness of your coil. As you do this, you need to take some long, slow inhales WITHOUT pressing the fire button.. Some coils can sit in juice forever, and not get primed because capillary action (your mouth, creating suction as you inhale) wicks juice up INTO the coil ,which is where you need it to be. Do this about 15--20 times as it sits.

Then slowly in 3 watt increments turn up your mod from zero, while you do priming puffs. Long slow drags (it doesn't matter if you see visible vapor or not) as you slooowlly increase wattage, until you hit your sweet spot which MAY or may not be below the manufacturer's recommended range. New coils haven't built up gunk so sometimes you can get a nice vape lower than you may near the end of the coil's life where you may have to turn it up some (not much). If you go too high, back down to the "Best" wattage for you, which you will have reached as you prime.

Other factors affecting coil life: airflow, too high wattage, very sweet or dark juices.

I kind of have a hunch that your priming process may not be all that it can be. A well primed coil is a happy coil etc..

Good luck,

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
SMOK has a notorious reputation for bad quality control. There is not much you can do if you continue to choose SMOK products.

I wouldn't give up on them just yet though since you have so much invested in them. The following video is for a different tank and coils, but the techniques presented are relevant for all tanks and coils.

(I get up to one month's use with my original Crown coils, and that's with 100% Vg e-liquid.)

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread