Committing to Quitting: one week at a time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewieya

Jan 11, 2013
Baltimore
There are so many categories in this forum, I'm not sure if this is the right one to post to! Ahk! I posted the first one in the new members forum. This is sort of a continuation from that... put in a better spot, I think. :p

Just wanted to say, when I posted, I committed to not smoke a cigarette for one week. I had my last cigarette around 11am EST last Thursday. In two hours, I will have made it one week! Part of doing this one week at a time is because it's hard for me to say I'll NEVER smoke a stinky again. I just don't have it in me to say that. I WANT and NEED to never smoke a cigarette again, but I have been doing it for most of twenty years, so it's hard to say it. I once read a post here on the forums in which someone said they are "married to vaping, but having an affair with cigarettes"- that this person occasionally smokes. Honestly, I don't even want to do that. I hope to be done, but I'm only committing to a short period at a time.

Another reason why I am doing it this way is money. I spent my cigarette money on vaping stuff. So I really can't afford to budget in cigarettes for a while.

This time, I'm going to try, very hard to not have a cigarette between now and next Friday, April 11. If I make it, at that time I will commit to a new time frame- should I make it, and not smoke. If I do smoke, I want to try to start over. Not smoke starting that day and commit to another week or so.

Has anyone else done it like this? If not, what was your sort of "mental work" to quit? Any tips and additional encouragement to what was given on my first post would be appreciated too!

Thanks everyone, in advance. :)

FourWinds

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
UK
I did all that mental prep, but then I got lucky: I didn't even want one after trying vaping (30yr smoker reaching 40 a day at the end!).

It worked so well I found it hard to believe, and I wondered what might happen if I was to try a stinky...and I wondered. So about a month ago (that's after two months of vaping only) I tried three one night!!! The result was a non issue; the next morning until now I've vaped along with no desire at all to smoke.

I'm telling this, not to rub anyone's nose in my good fortune or anything, but rather to say that you'll be able to do it too I'm sure. Are you struggling, you didn't say if you were finding it a problem, but only that you were going to try hard? What mg/ml are you on, and if you think you miss something, then what might that be?

Well done on your first week by the way, that's great news. :toast:

Raths

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2014
Nebraska
I come to the forums pretty much everyday, so I get myself a banner (you can click on mine to find it) and set my quit day for April 1st. Had been vaping and smoking for 2 months, and set my quit day 3 weeks after I actually quit smoking. The first week kinda sucked, second week was better, third week I started to think "I can really do this" then my banner started counting and I get a warm fuzzy everytime I see it!

But I always have in the back of my mind that I'm only one analog away from starting again, at which point I pick up my APV and use it like a crutch!

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
There are so many categories in this forum, I'm not sure if this is the right one to post to! Ahk! I posted the first one in the new members forum. This is sort of a continuation from that... put in a better spot, I think. :p

Just wanted to say, when I posted, I committed to not smoke a cigarette for one week. I had my last cigarette around 11am EST last Thursday. In two hours, I will have made it one week! Part of doing this one week at a time is because it's hard for me to say I'll NEVER smoke a stinky again. I just don't have it in me to say that. I WANT and NEED to never smoke a cigarette again, but I have been doing it for most of twenty years, so it's hard to say it. I once read a post here on the forums in which someone said they are "married to vaping, but having an affair with cigarettes"- that this person occasionally smokes. Honestly, I don't even want to do that. I hope to be done, but I'm only committing to a short period at a time.

Another reason why I am doing it this way is money. I spent my cigarette money on vaping stuff. So I really can't afford to budget in cigarettes for a while.

This time, I'm going to try, very hard to not have a cigarette between now and next Friday, April 11. If I make it, at that time I will commit to a new time frame- should I make it, and not smoke. If I do smoke, I want to try to start over. Not smoke starting that day and commit to another week or so.

Has anyone else done it like this? If not, what was your sort of "mental work" to quit? Any tips and additional encouragement to what was given on my first post would be appreciated too!

Thanks everyone, in advance. :)

Just curious, but what part of cigarettes still tempts you? 20 years is a LONG time, so I can only imagine....

I smoked a pack a day, for 6 years, never once quit. First time I tried vaping back in 2009, I wasn't really committed, and back then, the e-cigs really sucked (at least compared to today). I lasted about 2 months, until our pre-filled cartos ran out, and never re-ordered.

When I started vaping again in May 2013, I was determined to make the switch, very enthusiastic about it. I researched it more, found stuff I like, and stuck to it.

The first WEEK, I went from a pack a day, to 5 cigs a day the (2nd day), to 2-3 cigs a day the (3, 4th, and 5th days). It took about 6 days to make the transition, but after that, I never once craved a cigarette again.

I've gone ALMOST a full 12 months (year)...about 20 days shy right now, without a cigarette.

I'm curious though, what are you still craving from a cigarette? The e-cigs give you the nicotine, the oral fixation, what else is there besides the tar and thousands of bad chemicals?

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
I know that we are all so different in our approach to this. I'm so glad you've found a way that works for you. Keep up the good work.

I am the sort who takes forever and a day to make a decision. I research, think about it, research some more, think some more, you get the idea.

Once I have made up my mind, I tend to totally commit to my decision, because it was so difficult for me to make it, I suppose.

So I thought about quitting smoking for probably 15 years, lol.:D Never tried to quit, you understand, just thought about it a lot.

When I finally decided on New Year's Day this year - that was it for me. I got a Blue starter kit, which worked, but barely, and I didn't smoke. Quickly got an ego starter kit, which has been smooth sailing ever since.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Hang in there and you can succeed.
For me it was the decision process. I could not Quit smoking. I have never been a quitter.(Just not raised that way)
I made my plans for the switch and set my Date.............. to Finish smoking and start Vaping for my health and for my family.
18months have passed and still no urge to break this commitment.:)

ewieya

Jan 11, 2013
Baltimore
Give it hell ewieya!
I started simply shooting for 1 day at a time, your 1 week at a time is admirable. Get it!!

Ultimately I got to where I didn't work at it. Just smoked a cig when I really felt the need.
Over time those instances of need just fell away to none (-:

So happy to hear this! I hope to get there some day. Thank you.

ewieya

Jan 11, 2013
Baltimore
Are you struggling, you didn't say if you were finding it a problem, but only that you were going to try hard? What mg/ml are you on, and if you think you miss something, then what might that be?

Well done on your first week by the way, that's great news. :toast:

Thanks for the information on your journey to no more cigarettes! Good work!!!

Well... it's not that hard to not smoke. But the idea of smoking drifts into my mind from time to time. I'm also not sure I'm ready to be done. Unfortunately, tonight I'm staying with my boyfriend and he smokes. Wish me luck!

I'm on 18mg and I chain vape all day.

This is so much easier AND more satisfying than the other things I've tried over the years- gum, patch, Chantix, cold turkey, etc.

ewieya

Jan 11, 2013
Baltimore
Just curious, but what part of cigarettes still tempts you? 20 years is a LONG time, so I can only imagine....

I smoked a pack a day, for 6 years, never once quit. First time I tried vaping back in 2009, I wasn't really committed, and back then, the e-cigs really sucked (at least compared to today). I lasted about 2 months, until our pre-filled cartos ran out, and never re-ordered.

When I started vaping again in May 2013, I was determined to make the switch, very enthusiastic about it. I researched it more, found stuff I like, and stuck to it.

The first WEEK, I went from a pack a day, to 5 cigs a day the (2nd day), to 2-3 cigs a day the (3, 4th, and 5th days). It took about 6 days to make the transition, but after that, I never once craved a cigarette again.

I've gone ALMOST a full 12 months (year)...about 20 days shy right now, without a cigarette.

I'm curious though, what are you still craving from a cigarette? The e-cigs give you the nicotine, the oral fixation, what else is there besides the tar and thousands of bad chemicals?

Thank you for asking. I keep telling myself if I do have one- even one, I will stink all over, and I'll regret it. Still, I'm drawn to the idea of a cigarette. What is the reason? If I knew, I'd answer, but I just don't know. Maybe the question- maybe asking myself this every time I think I'm close, will stop me from doing it.

ewieya

Jan 11, 2013
Baltimore
I know that we are all so different in our approach to this. I'm so glad you've found a way that works for you. Keep up the good work.

I am the sort who takes forever and a day to make a decision. I research, think about it, research some more, think some more, you get the idea.

Once I have made up my mind, I tend to totally commit to my decision, because it was so difficult for me to make it, I suppose.

So I thought about quitting smoking for probably 15 years, lol.:D Never tried to quit, you understand, just thought about it a lot.

When I finally decided on New Year's Day this year - that was it for me. I got a Blue starter kit, which worked, but barely, and I didn't smoke. Quickly got an ego starter kit, which has been smooth sailing ever since.

One of my closest friends is like this- thinks things over for a long, long time before doing them. And she is good at sticking to her choices. She has called me a determined person. When I want something I try over and over again to do it or get it, and try without taking much time to think it over. Eventually, it sticks. I have tried to quit probably over twenty times in the twenty years I smoked.

Hoping this is it for me. Grats on YOUR success!!!

ewieya

Jan 11, 2013
Baltimore
Hang in there and you can succeed.
For me it was the decision process. I could not Quit smoking. I have never been a quitter.(Just not raised that way)
I made my plans for the switch and set my Date.............. to Finish smoking and start Vaping for my health and for my family.
18months have passed and still no urge to break this commitment.:)

Thank you. Congratulations on quitting- so glad you have no urge to break your commitment! Love your avatar. :)

SVÆRIK

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
california
Ewieya,
What you are doing, how you are thinking about this, is just fine. One week at a time, one day at a time, we all started there whether we acknowledged it or not.
Remember that this is an addiction, and should be treated as such. Be proud of yourself, even when others don't acknowledge your progress!! Keep a timeline.

When you find yourself in the company of smokers, for goodness sake, stay busy!!! As long as you have something to do, the urge to smoke will be greatly reduced. Don't forget your charger and more juice than you think you need!

Good luck!

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Thank you for asking. I keep telling myself if I do have one- even one, I will stink all over, and I'll regret it. Still, I'm drawn to the idea of a cigarette. What is the reason? If I knew, I'd answer, but I just don't know. Maybe the question- maybe asking myself this every time I think I'm close, will stop me from doing it.

If you can't answer what it is about smoking that is still enticing you, then that is a GOOD thing! That means you are probably getting everything you need from e-cigs. The oral fixation, the nicotine....and all that remains is the HABIT of smoking. Since you smoked for 20+ years, the very act of smoking, and doing it repeatedly, several times a day, for so long forms a habit.

That is excellent news! Our brains are actually built like computers, they write new information over old information, and old habits become deleted by new habits as time goes on. What this means is, if you just STICK to e-cigs, one day SOON you will just stop thinking of cigarettes....and probably sooner then later!

Best of luck my friend! Hang in there, and within a few weeks you probably won't even THINK about cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread