Status
Not open for further replies.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
I'd been wondering this before, lightgeoducks recent post revived my curiosity.

Has anyone here used both the M401 and the Joye306 for dipping? If so are the atomizers comparable? Battery performance isn't of concern for me as I use mods.

I've been using the 306 for dipping and it's great. Just looking to expand on available options!

Thanks

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
The 401 is actually better, at least of the ones I have. I have a smoore 401 but have another brand 306 which has a high metal bridge and just is not as good. I also have a few 401's that have that same high metal bridge and they perform about the same as the 306. They both have a hard draw because the top is enclosed by a metal ring around the bridge. The good thing about them is that a burned out atty from one will make a nice mod connector for the other.

Where did you get your 306 and does it have that very high pointy bridge? I would really like to find one as good as the 401's that I am using. I was really disappointed with the 306's I received because I drip and they just don't seem to work that way.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
The 401 is actually better, at least of the ones I have. I have a smoore 401 but have another brand 306 which has a high metal bridge and just is not as good. I also have a few 401's that have that same high metal bridge and they perform about the same as the 306. They both have a hard draw because the top is enclosed by a metal ring around the bridge. The good thing about them is that a burned out atty from one will make a nice mod connector for the other.

Where did you get your 306 and does it have that very high pointy bridge? I would really like to find one as good as the 401's that I am using. I was really disappointed with the 306's I received because I drip and they just don't seem to work that way.

Hi shadow

The 306's I have are from RMV.

As for the bridge on the 306, it is almost identical in shape and construction to the bridge of the M401 pictured on RMV's site. Not pointy like a DSE901, but an even arch.

I already have various 510 setups, that's why I went w/ the 306 for dripping. But drip/dip, your of a mind the draw is better with the 401. Is the overall performance, aside from the draw comparable?

I understand now how to make an adapter to be able to use the 401, just wondering if it's worth it. The 401's are a bit less expensive than the 306's...

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Thats odd, I have over a dozen 306s and none of them have a high pointy bridge. Of course I don't have any 401s with a high pointy bridge either. The only high pointy exposed bridge I have is a J108.
I use both and to me the benefit of the 306 is that it is easy to find Big Batt models that use it without the hassle of a second adaptor. Beyond that they are pretty comparable. I do think the 306 burns a little hotter so you run into that age old issue of smooth cool and more flavor (401) vs. warmer harsher and less flavor (306). Its the 510 vs. 901 debate but I don't think the difference is that great between the 306 and the 401. They both dip well. They both perform well.
The other issue IMO with the 306 is that since it is made by Joye it has those poly wicking threads in the bridge which like the 510 is fine if they stay out of the way but once they go bad are a hassle.
I did just order an adaptor for the 401 so I am personally curious to see if my thoughts change once they sit on exactly equal batteries. Catch me in a couple of weeks and I will let you now then. (for those wondering about stock batteries there is no comparison. The 401 batteries are the best mini bats made).

Addendum: I didn't address the draw but I think the draw on the 306s is better just by the nature of them being a male connector. Most of the big batts I use seem to have a little more vent than the standard batteries and that lets the atty breathe better.

Last edited:

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Thats odd, I have over a dozen 306s and none of them have a high pointy bridge. Of course I don't have any 401s with a high pointy bridge either. The only high pointy exposed bridge I have is a J108.
I use both and to me the benefit of the 306 is that it is easy to find Big Batt models that use it without the hassle of a second adaptor. Beyond that they are pretty comparable. I do think the 306 burns a little hotter so you run into that age old issue of smooth cool and more flavor (401) vs. warmer harsher and less flavor (306). Its the 510 vs. 901 debate but I don't think the difference is that great between the 306 and the 401. They both dip well. They both perform well.
The other issue IMO with the 306 is that since it is made by Joye it has those poly wicking threads in the bridge which like the 510 is fine if they stay out of the way but once they go bad are a hassle.
I did just order an adaptor for the 401 so I am personally curious to see if my thoughts change once they sit on exactly equal batteries. Catch me in a couple of weeks and I will let you now then. (for those wondering about stock batteries there is no comparison. The 401 batteries are the best mini bats made).

Addendum: I didn't address the draw but I think the draw on the 306s is better just by the nature of them being a male connector. Most of the big batts I use seem to have a little more vent than the standard batteries and that lets the atty breathe better.

Damn, I better get my adapter order placed before their gone. 8-o
I can think of at least 2 others besides you that were looking for them!

Thanks for those observations gatsby, shadowdr, I believe I will go ahead and pick up the 401/510 adapter and a couple atty's and give em a whirl!

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Thanks for those observations gatsby, shadowdr, I believe I will go ahead and pick up the 401/510 adapter and a couple atty's and give em a whirl!

Yeah, the best thing is to just give it a try since person preference plays a big role in all this stuff. The one I am curious about is the m801 (not a penstyle) since it looks to be basically a 401 with the opposite threading. That leads me to believe it would work with the 510 threads and give the benefit of male thread draw, but with the smoore components. I have been lurking around to see if anyone has tried but nothing yet. The 306 and the 401 are by far my favorite atomizers so have fun.

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
I prefere the 401 to the 306 that I have, in fact I prefere it to my 4081 and all the 510's as well. It has a very slight draw with almost no resistance, very warm vapor and full of flavor. It almost feels like inhaling steam but the flavor is excellent, very good TH and with a little Vg produces at least the vapor of my 510's and sometimes much more. I use it on a boxmod so there is no battery resistance.

The 306's I got also from RMV are like the 306a pictured on their site but not like the 401 pictures. The 401's I got from ecigsupply are like the 306's from RMV, I guess made by Joye (perhaps a newer or older design) while the 401's from RMv are Smoore's. I think I may have been flooding the 306's dripping but while I have a working 401, I will use nothing else. I might try dipping later on with the 306's.

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Just found mine in the mail box. Unfortunately I am on my way out the door but I had to come back in for a minute to fire up a 401 on my SuperT. All I can say at this point is that it works and the adaptors add surprisingly little extra length.

Added fun fact: If you aren't paying attention and put them on backwards they still work thanks to the opposite threading of the 510 and the 401. One way seems to be much better though so I am going to assume that is the 'correct' way.

Last edited:

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
hehe

Small world, greats minds alike and all that.

Same thing here Gatsby, just brought in the mail and there were my adapters from Altsmoke and 401s from ecigsupply. Just fired one up but will need to give it a bit of time to really see if there's much difference from the 306.

I'm assuming the end with the notch goes to the atty, that's how I'm using it. Draw on the 401 is markedly harder than the 306, possibly a bit hotter. Vape is comparable.

New toys!

Last edited:

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
hehe

Small world, greats minds alike and all that.

Same thing here Gatsby, just brought in the mail and there were my adapters from Altsmoke and 401s from ecigsupply. Just fired one up but will need to give it a bit of time to really see if there's much difference from the 306.

I'm assuming the end with the notch goes to the atty, that's how I'm using it. Draw on the 401 is markedly harder than the 306, possibly a bit hotter. Vape is comparable.

New toys!

Yeah, I figure notch and shorter threads go with the atty, but I did take a few good puffs with it the wrong way until I decided to actually pay attention. Even though I used 401s for half my 'vaping career', I still have a little case of new-toy-itis using it on my favorite big batt set ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread