Completely Unnecessary Accessory? ... Perhaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
But I find this mini craft cutter quite handy indeed. Especially since with my small builds (8wrap 30ga Kanthal on 2mm) +/- a small amount of cotton makes a difference.

Ever wick a build absolutely perfectly to the point that the cotton wick requires no break-in whatsoever, airflow and fuel feed are perfect, and wish you could replicate the amount of cotton precisely each and every time? ... well here ya go.

Some of these craft cutters are better than others. Most don't cut cotton very well at all. I've found this Fiskars trimmer to work great. It is self-sharpening (many aren't) and has a close tolerance with the board, so I expect the results to be consistent and so far they are.

Yep, I'm spoiled LOL. Perfect wick every time with this cutter and cotton pads. device on the left is a Dicodes Dani Box Mini with leather sleeve and topped with a 24mm kayfun [lite] 2019. The device on the right is a ProVari Classic topped with a 22mm kayfun [lite] 2019. Both mouth pieces are from Molehill Mountain Art. African Blackwood on the Dicodes and Pink Ivorywood and Ebony on the ProVari.

74693323_961933120829274_759660924456927232_n.jpg

Amazon:
Fiskars 9 Inch Bypass Paper Trimmer (199130-1001)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NUY5Q2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That’s a paper cutter. A very small one.
They are good for cutting straight parallel lines. Such things can be done in many ways. It doesn’t strike me as the wonderment you seem to be claiming it is.

It could make cutting parallel pad pieces easier. Manual dexterity is something that eludes some and slowly decreases for all of us.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
I'm 66 and maybe not as dexterious as I once was LOL. Also a disabled veteran and part of the disability is my eyesight. So yeah, this is a wonderment for me. YMMV. And as I stated in the thread topic ... Perhaps a completely unnecessary accessory. Maybe you missed it.
I am primarily a rayon user, just thought I'd put that out upfront. I have muji cotton squares that I rarely use, and I think this would be useful in cutting them down to size for wicks. Scissors would do the job (my scissors are fiskar btw, great company), but consistency would be improved using this device. It comes down to cost, ease of use, and utility.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
I'll bet you don't use one of these magnifiers either when you build. It too is a wonderment I found on Amazon and entirely necessary for me to properly and precisely build 8wrap 30ga Kanthal on 2mm. Perhaps another completely unnecessary accessory.

73322410_961972774158642_8911216790193831936_n.jpg
What did that run? I made one similar for a soldering third hands setup I have, just curious what a standalone unit cost you.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'll bet you don't use one of these magnifiers either when you build. It too is a wonderment I found on Amazon and entirely necessary for me to properly and precisely build 8wrap 30ga Kanthal on 2mm. Perhaps another completely unnecessary accessory.

73322410_961972774158642_8911216790193831936_n.jpg
I use this one. They are nice. I expect I will need it more as I age. I guess this goes to the definition of “wonderment”. Lighted magnifying glasses aren’t that much newer than paper cutters.
50F5D675-C8E8-4669-B64C-BFF2325B2190.jpeg

I have no idea why the pic is posting sideways. Not sure if it’s an artifact of a new phone OS or a change in the way the site processes images. It was straight when I took it and when I chose it for upload.

Reactions: Hobbs

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Reactions: Katya

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
I am primarily a rayon user, just thought I'd put that out upfront. I have muji cotton squares that I rarely use, and I think this would be useful in cutting them down to size for wicks. Scissors would do the job (my scissors are fiskar btw, great company), but consistency would be improved using this device. It comes down to cost, ease of use, and utility.
I have Rayon from Graham Beauty. A box of 40ft. Tried to make it work but it just wicks WAY too fast for my small tootle build and accelerated wicking isn't needed or even optimal. Besides, Rayon has a somewhat chemical taste to me and I prefer the organic taste of cotton. The taste is subtle but since I exclusively vape non-flavored liquid, wick taste is a consideration.

I'd almost given up on Muji. I wasn't as consistent with it as I'd like. I'd gone completely to Cotton Bacon. While I still wasn't consistent with the Cotton Bacon, I found it to be more forgiving. This Fiskars trimmer turned me back to Muji with consistent capability that had eluded me. Even more consistent than I can be "fingering" Cotton Bacon ... or Rayon.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I want to learn how to do this, but my eyes are - not good. I think I might have to put paper cutter and magnifying glass on my Christmas wish list

the stand and the light really help. One needs both hands to manipulate things. I found the bigger the glass the better as there is a lot of distortion at the edges of a magnifying glass.
A “third hand” device was also mentioned I think. They help with steadiness. They’re commonly available as an electronics soldering tool. Most big box hardware stores have them.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
From all the reviews and research of paper trimmers I found that cotton doesn't like or behave well in paper trimmers. I chose the Fiskars to try because since it's self sharpening, I figured it had a close cutting tolerance with the board ... and it does. This Fiskars is the only only one I've ever tried and it's working well with the Muji cotton pads and of course has that Fiskars quality.

EDIT: The Coil Master 521 TAB is the only "third hand" I've ever needed. Very stable. More so than working a build mounted on a mod but that goes without saying I guess.

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
What a great post, Hobbs. I also use cotton pads for wicking and have for years. But getting consistency in size is a challenge, no matter how careful you are in cutting. I was just wishing the other day that there was a device similar to a paper cutter to use. And here you are posting the very thing I was wishing for! Thanks for the tip. :thumbs:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
You saved a bunch then with DIY. Here's the Amazon link for the Carson Magnifier. I like how portable it is. Doesn't require any mounting. Doesn't even have that feature ...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EW1ZNC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this all the time for making coils and wicking and mounting. Now I'm in the market for a more powerful/larger one, frankly. Any recommendations? Anyone?

I have two paper cutters and I'm going to experiment. Fun idea. :)

Also a disabled veteran and part of the disability is my eyesight.

Thank you for your service!

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Thanks !!!
Most paper cutters don't cut cotton well, according to the Amazon reviews I read. This Fiskars does a fine job, but what also helps is to put slight pressure on the cutting arm as it's pulled down and toward the board. Seems to cut best that way. I don't use much pressure, just a little toward the board as I pull the arm down to cut the cotton. OH and with my left hand, I use some downward pressure on the clear plastic bar the cotton is under. It helps to keep the cotton from moving as the cutting edge goes through it. Really enjoying this cutter. Measure twice and cut once. Perfect every time when you find your optimal amount of cotton.

Don't know of another magnifier I could recommend. Sometimes I do use the small area in the upper part of the lens of the one I posted above. That small circular area is a much higher magnification, but it's a small area and may not be ideal for everyone. The thread title of this post may not draw magnifier recommendations very well. Maybe start a thread if no one chimes in here. Would be interesting to see other's thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread