concerned and cotton wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayday123

Feb 19, 2012
buffalo
Hello, I wanted to contact GOTVAPES but they seem to only use either snail mail or this forum, so im not sure if the people from GOTVAPES read this, but i was wondering if they will ever go to cotton wicks, i have heard some bad things about the silica wicks especially with small fibers going into your lungs, i am not very much a modder and i am that guy who would rather just buy them, than rebuild one with cotton, cause i really do like the vivi nova 2.5, but i am afraid to vape it after reading some of the concerns with silica wicks.and should i be concerned or do i just vape on, thank you

I keep my wicks wet and vape on, although I've moved to ceramic wicks in half my devices.

Cotton always... tasted like cotton to me, so i don't use it. Theres some bamboo wick i've been meaning to try, but I'm still going through my stocks of silica.

If you're worried and unable to try rebuilding to suit your needs, something without silica is probably your best bet. I haven't seen any commercially available cotton wick and coil assemblies myself.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
badkola ( Chris from GV ) has answered this in the past... Since cotton isn't reusable past a certain point ( can't be dry burned etc )... they are unlikely to carry it as a type of wick. Cotton yarn is easily obtained at sewing centers as well as art & craft shops.

At this time, it seems that stainless mesh is the next best alternative that is also reusable. I have a harder time making a good looking coil than I do rolling and oxidizing a mesh wick ( and making a coil on cotton or silica is even sloppier and harder for me )

zippersnapper

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2012
I have never seen cotton either. While I know alot of vapors report success with cotton, I know of no vapor vendors or manufactures selling it in either bulk form or in pre-made wicks. I cant speak personaly for GV, but I have seen this subject pop up before, and I think Chris and Danno will probably shy away from cotton due to the obvious..

Thats a topic of great debate.

WallyO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Cicero,IL
Thanks, i just have to find out if it is ok to vape the silica
The question is not is it safe to vape silica. We all know silica inhalation is deadly and causes irreversible lung damage. The question is how much actually appears in the vapor and ends up in your lungs. After reusing wicks over and over through many cleanings it is near impossible to see any breakdown and loss of material with the naked eye. Does not mean it's not happenning. How much would be a danger is another question. I have done many many brake jobs since I was a kid and inhaled way more asbestos blowing them out than I care to admit. It would probably take twenty years of vaping to compare the harmful effects from the silicone to one brake job. It's kinda like diet pop causes cancer but you got to drink a billion of em. Or the cancerous effects of sugarless gum if you chew five packs a day. Just about everything we eat and drink is OK (at least that's what they tell us) in moderation, but not excess.
Don't mean to skirt your question like this because it has always been a concern in my mind also. But expecting anyone to commit to an answer either way will be impossible. There just has not been any open research on the topic. All you will get is another opinion. Some good, some bad. It's not just silica. Cotton gives off deadly vapors when burning. And how about the metal mesh and coil wire. What's given off by that when heating. Everything has a byproduct. You have to decide what best suits you.
Regardless of any of the above mentioned risks. I believe I am much better off vaping to replace every analog I do not light up. And, yes, silica wick is my vape choice. But....that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Hello, I wanted to contact GOTVAPES but they seem to only use either snail mail or this forum, so im not sure if the people from GOTVAPES read this, but i was wondering if they will ever go to cotton wicks, i have heard some bad things about the silica wicks especially with small fibers going into your lungs, i am not very much a modder and i am that guy who would rather just buy them, than rebuild one with cotton, cause i really do like the vivi nova 2.5, but i am afraid to vape it after reading some of the concerns with silica wicks.and should i be concerned or do i just vape on, thank you

There is always rbas using ss mesh wicking. Then there is no problem with silica, as far as I know..

kwcharlie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Houston
acrigs.com
:?: what do ya 'spect from me ? I still wear the old union suit long johns with the flap in the back :unsure:

Back to serious and yes I’ve kidded some of the posts at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...erials-safe-vs-dangerous-363.html#post7710325 about how they fold their hats BUT that thread has the best information on how to use alternate wick material and the cotton is better for wicking and flavor than silicon and easy to do IF you re-wick so without all the foil hat thinking that “this MUST be dangerous because I ‘know” has produced a lot of good information on re-wicking. It’s come a long way from the blue foam aquarium filter material and cotton wicks have been the best improvement I’ve ever done. As a disclaimer: it’s not that much better than silicon that I do it to new ones AND I haven’t tried any SS Mesh.
All just saying if you rewick try cotton and if you are 'really' worried about silicon wicks, over analogs, you need your hat or meds adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread