Condensation In My Apartment!

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Hey guys,

I posted this on a Facebook group but thought I would post it on here too to possibly get some more "expert" opinions on this subject. I will add more below the copy & paste as there is an update on the original post on Facebook.

C & P:

Can vaping cause condensation to build in your house or apartment? I have been vaping since mid 2011. I haven’t really noticed anything until...

In September of 2021, I moved to a 1-bedroom, top floor/corner unit. Late last year (2022), I noticed liquid accumulating on ceiling light glass fixtures. I thought that perhaps there was leaks in the roof. Maintenance inspected my unit and determined there was no leaks, they said it was condensation from “cooking” or drastic temperature changes. I thought that was weird because I’ve never had this issue before. I just shrugged it off and let it go after getting the fixtures wiped down.

A few days ago, I started my “after holiday decorating” cleanup around my apartment. I noticed that I had condensation inside of glass table lamps (that I have my Philips Hue bulbs in), floor lamps that are also glass that I use Philips Hue lighting in as well as on picture frames hung on walls, etc. I have also noticed a light film on furniture (not dust) but like a moist film...you run your finger over it and you can see a clean line from your finger and you can feel the moisture on your finger. I’ve also noticed that my hardwood floors always feel slightly damp or moist, lots of strange things are going on in this unit. Surely, this cannot be from vaping?

So, I did some more digging online after continuing to look at my weather stations that I have in my apartment (one in the living room and one in the bedroom). They constantly show that humidity inside my apartment to be in the high 60’s to high 70’s. This number is extremely HIGH, and should be no higher than 50 percent. Yesterday the humidity outside was 40 percent, but inside it was 75 percent (and it’s winter here and cold)! I’m assuming there is some kind of insulation issue in my unit, being a top floor/corner unit...the temps in here change drastically depending on the weather.

I’m thinking I’m going to have to buy dehumidifier(s) to get the humidity levels to where they should be in the apartment. I don’t believe there is any other option (if you guys don’t think it’s vaping related)? Maintenance is coming up here today to recheck my unit but I don’t think there is going to be any other remedy. Was curious as to what you all thought about this?

Thanks guys!

UPDATE 1/12/23:

Maintenance and the manager came up to inspect my unit today. They were quite puzzled by the issue. They looked at my weather stations and saw how high the humidity was in here. They brought their own device in my APT and asked me to leave it for a couple of weeks, snap a pic of it every few days and send it to them. They said if the humidity is reading that high on their machine, that they will have to bring a 3rd party company in to see what is going on. Manager agreed with me that no way should the humidity in my APT be in the 70's (especially in the dead of winter). It was funny because when the manager first walked into my apartment with the unit, the humidity on the device read 34%, within minutes it started to go up and was almost at 40% before he walked out.

If I end up needing to get a dehumidifier, I was hoping for some advice on here and to which one to get. I have a fairly small apartment, just under 600 square FT. I was watching some vids on YT and according to what I was watching, the higher pint sized machines (40 and 50 plus pint machines) are better at removing excess humidity because they are more powerful than the lower pint machines. But again, I'm not that familiar with them, I've never used one before. I also like the fact that you can set the machine as to what you want the humidity level to be in your home, and it shuts off automatically once it reaches that level in the home.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Firstly I don't believe vaping could possibly be responsible.

I worked maintenance for a while. The only time I found very high humidity in a room like that it turned out to be a leaking pipe behind a wall. You can buy a humidity tester at the hardware store for a few bucks. They have a couple of pointed prongs on the end which you can poke into a wall or ceiling, they can tell you whether the wall is wet. I would try that. It might tell you that the source of the humidity is a particular area of a wall or ceiling. Couple of years ago I noticed condensation on a living room window. Tested the wall above the window and it was way high. There was nothing visible to the naked eye. Called in the roofers and there was a leak around a soffit.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    After about 3 years in my apartment, there is a film on the windows from vaping, but I agree that there should not be condensation or high humidity. Something else is causing that, although the condensation could be mixing with vape residue to make it more moist. A dehumidifier would help, but if there's another problem that needs fixing, that should be done first.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2011
    Thanks guys.

So new update. The office's humidity device has been in here just under 24 hours, their machines reading as of 8:30 this morning is 55% humidity, but my devices are reading 75% humidity. That's a BIG difference! I don't know if their unit needs a bit more time to adjust in here or what, but that has me a bit nervous. But even 55% is over the recommended max humidity level but it's certainly not anywhere as bad as 75% is. I'll update in a few days.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    Relative humidity tells you the amount of water vapour in the air. Vaping/not vaping will make no difference (unless you are vaping water).
    Either your lifestyle is producing more water vapour than the volume of air in your apartment can handle or something else is introducing excess water. Test everywhere for leaking water, if that can be ruled out then you will need to consider additional ventilation - either mechanical or natural. A dehumidifier is not an ideal long-term solution.
    The question you should be asking is 'what has changed' ?
    As for a film of VG on smooth surfaces - that is unrelated to the humidity and is an indicator that you maybe vape too much ! Again, ventilation will help with this.
    Good luck :)

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    Sorry - i assumed that your RH had increased. If it has remained constant throughout then it may just be down to the size of the apartment and ventilation options. If you are having no issues with mould growth then i don't think you have anything to worry about....
    As for changes - i once asked this of someone who was getting mould growth. She replied, rather sharply, that nothing had changed. I then pointed out that she had recently had a baby. She didn't think that was relevant to the increased humidity :?:....

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2011
    No, honestly I'm not sure what is going on. On my weather stations, the humidity level is 20 plus % higher than the device the manager left in here...I can't figure it out. With or without the devices, it is obvious there is a moisture problem in here. The water on pictures, lamps, windows, etc., don't lie, not to mention the damp 'like' feel on the hardwood floors. NO MOLD! However the moisture is a huge problem, I can't keep anything clean living like this, it's just gonna work for me. I'll have to get a dehumidifier and try it out (it can't hurt right?)

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2011
    Finally got a loaner dehumidifier in here from the office, it's a nice one...a Frigidaire machine. They brought it up around 3 this afternoon. I have it set to 45% humidity, it's around 10:30 now at night, and wow, what a night and day difference! Everything feels so dry in here, the floors don't feel sticky/tacky like I'm walking on something damp, it just feels do much more drier in here! I didn't expect such a drastic difference in such a short amount of time either.

The machine has sensors that tell me when I need to empty the water from the unit, so far I haven't needed to do that, but it's only been 6 or 7 hours so... Humidity levels are now reading in the low 40's via my HomePod Mini's and my Dyson is reading around 42% as well. This afternoon, I was getting readings as high as 57%!

As far as my weather stations, I ditched them! After reading reviews for them on Home Depot's website, I discovered the humidity readings on the device were not accurate and way off (many people complained in the review section that the humidity level readings were not accurate). So I decided to ditch them a month or so ago.

I'll keep the thread updated as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread